Personal BEST DAC-AMP & DONGLES discoveries thread (Best finds Reference List)
Jul 1, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #136 of 328
Okay then.

I am reviewing TA10 as well so we'll see.

I have a ton of experience with Chi-Fi, but when hearing that it replaced a violectric 281, that is kinda hard to trust for me, knowing that the 281 is a 2K USD thingy that's well worth its asking price.

I trust TA10 can go toe to toe with 500 USD DAC/AMPs, but not with 2K USD violectric 281...

Ay any rate, I will be reviewing TA-10 as well now, as you all got me curious, xDuoo products have been quite excellent to me so far, so I'm sure it will be interesting for an experience :)

Yea it beats the pants off LCX+SDAC and with "the right tube" it can go match THX imo for quality and resolution. The old NOS tubes are the best GE, RCA, Mullard, Amperex, Westinghouse, Sylvania, Brimar, Philips etc. Note it must have the right tube to reach it's full potential, the stock tube is only OK but a little bland.

I had been experimenting with 12AE7's and the GE 12E7 is the one that almost made poor Zeos Pantera cry with his TH-909, probably because this unit meshes so well with the Fostex Bio-dynamic driver. I might also try 12AX7 to see will it add some gain. You can pick up tubes really cheap on ebay, just get ones that are tested. Lot's of good tubes in Europe too.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #137 of 328
Jul 1, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #138 of 328
For more power try the TA-20.

I think the TA-10 is same power as 20 only it has a fully balanced input and output + 2 tubes. I wonder what would be a good DAC to pair with it.

My written review about the Burson PlayMate is live now!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/07/trouble-maker-burson-playmate-basic.html

Burson-Play-Mate-PlayMate-DAC-AMP-Hi-Resolution-Desktop-Class-A-2W-DSD-Review-27.jpg

I didn't know Burson was Chinese, I thought they were a western company?

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #139 of 328
Yea it beats the pants off LCX+SDAC and with "the right tube" it can go match THX imo for quality and resolution. The old NOS tubes are the best GE, RCA, Mullard, Amperex, Westinghouse, Sylvania, Brimar, Philips etc. Note it must have the right tube to reach it's full potential, the stock tube is only OK but a little bland.

I had been experimenting with 12AE7's and the GE 12E7 is the one that almost made poor Zeos Pantera cry with his TH-909, probably because this unit meshes so well with the Fostex Bio-dynamic driver. I might also try 12AX7 to see will it add some gain. You can pick up tubes really cheap on ebay, just get ones that are tested. Lot's of good tubes in Europe too.
I know nothing about tubes but should like to try. You mentioned GE12E7. Will they fit the TA-20? Thanks.

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #140 of 328
I know nothing about tubes but should like to try. You mentioned GE12E7. Will they fit the TA-20? Thanks.

Yes but I think the GE 12AU7 will sound good too.You then have rebrands for instance you might get an IEC or Hammond which might actually a Mullard or Bugle Boy that is an Amperex.

Here is RCA pair on Aliexpress.
PSVANE is a nice Asian tube too.

eBay Search
Here are some of the main ones I know of, all good.
upload_2019-7-2_9-29-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-2_9-26-5.png
    upload_2019-7-2_9-26-5.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
Jul 2, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #141 of 328
I think the TA-10 is same power as 20 only it has a fully balanced input and output + 2 tubes. I wonder what would be a good DAC to pair with it.

I didn't know Burson was Chinese, I thought they were a western company?

They are purely chinese AFAIK, they ship from China and AFAIK, everything related to them is made in China and such (?)

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #142 of 328
Yes but I think the GE 12AU7 will sound good too.You then have rebrands for instance you might get an IEC or Hammond which might actually a Mullard or Bugle Boy that is an Amperex.

Here is RCA pair on Aliexpress.
PSVANE is a nice Asian tube too.

eBay Search
Here are some of the main ones I know of, all good.
Thanks.
I bought the RCA tubes on AliExpress using the link you provided. I notice the site did not say they had been tested.
When they arrive, how do I fix them: is it just pull out the old tubes and push in the new ones?
Sorry for a silly question.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #143 of 328
Thanks.
I bought the RCA tubes on AliExpress using the link you provided. I notice the site did not say they had been tested.
When they arrive, how do I fix them: is it just pull out the old tubes and push in the new ones?

Yep, gently move from side to side with pressure upwards and they will pop out. I put in a similar RCA just a few minutes ago and sounds great.

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #144 of 328
They are purely chinese AFAIK, they ship from China and AFAIK, everything related to them is made in China and such (?)

It will be interesting to see how cheap 789 wannbee does, I put a v5i-d dual in a matrix and amp before and it improved by a good margin.

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #145 of 328
Thanks.

Weird must be something up with my work pc, there is way more gain on my personal computer at home. TA-10 was struggling in work but at home it powered my T50RP vibrolab great.
My workmates custom amp design which will be available on a limited run is crazy good, THX level good.

CChm7w6.jpg

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #149 of 328
Built like a tank, as powerful or more powerful than a Jotuneheim, sound quality is not far off. Best bargain in amps right now me thinks.

ncG5leA.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back