P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .
Jul 11, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #242 of 561
hmm, so ive got some pretty amateur questions. i read through the thread but i really dont understand all the options for the opamps/buffers. You can run left/right voltage gain opamps in either dual single channel or a single stereo opamp? and then you can run buffers, but those are only available in stereo? and then the grounds. Its a 3/4 channel amp, does that mean you can run active grounds for both channels independent of each other? except that wouldnt work since its a single ended amp...you guys keep referencing G and V in relation to the ground opamps, whats that mean?

also, the only person to mention the transistor buffers was Jamato way back in the thread, did everyone determine that the chip buffers are better?

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #243 of 561
SoupRKnowva, I just received my P4. It sounds great. I will give a try with the transistor buffers and let you know my impressions. At the moment, the configuration is: 2 OPA 627 L/R + 2 BUF 634 + 2 HiC BUF    

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #244 of 561

Quote:
SoupRKnowva, I just received my P4. It sounds great. I will give a try with the transistor buffers and let you know my impressions. At the moment, the configuration is: 2 OPA 627 L/R + 2 BUF 634 + 2 HiC BUF    

so you're not using anything in the ground channel?

thats really the only thing i was curious about, whats the difference between the G and the V that people keep talking about?

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #245 of 561
I don't know the intricate detail but it stands for 'Ground' and 'Vertual Ground' and with the volume pot to your right the right hand socket has more impact than the left, don't know why.....

Transister buffers are good but to my ears not as good as Hi-C (BUF634+ dale resistor) buffers.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #246 of 561

Quote:
so you're not using anything in the ground channel?

thats really the only thing i was curious about, whats the difference between the G and the V that people keep talking about?

I also would like to know about these ground channels. I understand that 0, 1, or 2 buffers can change the sound. But why and how?...

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #251 of 561

Quote:
No, you can use them as ground/Vground and you can also use the 797's as buffers. If you look in the instruction manual it tells you which can be used where.

OK, thanks. In fact, I think I will stay that way for the moment (2 OPA 627 L/R + 2 BUF 634 + 2 HiC BUF). I just replace the 2 OPA 627 with 2 class A biased OPA 627 this morning. To my ears, it is better and much more controlled.

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #252 of 561
My favourite L/R is either OPA2111AM or OPA111AM (metal can) or ADA-4637-1-BRZ or OPA1641 (class A biased)

I always run the Hi-C buffers as nothing seems to sound quite as good, stacked BUF634's are good also but not quite as good.

I always have a dummy in the left side of ground sockets and an OPA627AP in the right side ground and to my ears that yealds the best results without too much thud when using sensitive IEM's.

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #253 of 561

Quote:
My favourite L/R is either OPA2111AM or OPA111AM (metal can) or ADA-4637-1-BRZ or OPA1641 (class A biased)

I always run the Hi-C buffers as nothing seems to sound quite as good, stacked BUF634's are good also but not quite as good.

I always have a dummy in the left side of ground sockets and an OPA627AP in the right side ground and to my ears that yealds the best results without too much thud when using sensitive IEM's.

I know I have a lot of work to do before I get the best sound. I plan to do this during my vacations... As you told me SpudHarris, this little amp is really good!

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #254 of 561
Finding the best sound for you and your respective phones/dap etc is the fun in owning an Opamp rollable amp. Like you I still spend time tweaking, it's just I think I'm nearing the end of my tweaking journey (until the next best thing in Opamps comes along).

Enjoy!

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #255 of 561

Quote:
Finding the best sound for you and your respective phones/dap etc is the fun in owning an Opamp rollable amp. Like you I still spend time tweaking, it's just I think I'm nearing the end of my tweaking journey (until the next best thing in Opamps comes along).

Enjoy!

so how do you think it compares to the 2Stepdance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back