1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by jamato8, Oct 25, 2010.
First

Back
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Next

Last
  1. SpudHarris Contributor
    Haha, you've been reading another thread haven't you....

The P4 has considerably more power (enough for HE-4's) the 2Stepdance does not. The P4 is a lot of fun for people like me who like to tweak and customise a signature to suit other gear. The 2Stepdance uses 5 x OpAmps (OPA209) and a circuit optimised for them. I'm not sitting oon the fence here but they are both great amps with strengths (and weakness) in different areas. The 2Stepdance makes my ES5's sound better than my P4 but lacks some authority with hard to drive full sized phones whereas my P4 is still great with my IEM's on low gain but in high gain it has the grunt to power almost anything well. The only thing I would consider trading my P4 with is the other high powered iBasso PB2 (32v voltage swing).

So they are both keepers but for different reasons.

2. imackler
    Does anyone have a favorite iem/bud that really acts as a great vehicle for the P4 and its opamp/buffer section to shine? I'm thinking something more neutral (and maybe hard to drive, but wouldn't have to be) that really lets the P4 standout...as much as you'd want am amp to standout. The P4 sounds like a blast and unlike many items in the industry can actually be upgraded. It seems like a fun way to enjoy the more "hobby" side of this rather than just the "I can't afford that" side.

I know normally you're looking for an amp to compliment an iem, that the iem/headphones are what matters the most. But what would be a sweet iem that would let you have lots of fun distinguishing the different sound characteristics of the buffer/opamps of the P4.

3. estreeter
    Personally, I see the P4 more as a 'mini power-amp' perfectly configured for the more brutish  fullsize cans (short of the HiFiMan orthos - lets be realistic....), but I admit that I havent heard any of the higher end IEMs. The P4 definitely had better control at very low volumes than my (Vishay pot) uHA-120, but the only IEMs I had at the time were the PL50s. 

4. SoupRKnowva

Quote:
    lol you caught me! [​IMG]

yeah, im looking for a new portable amp to use with my JH-13's, and dont have the desire to go balanced anymore. I sold my protector a year ago now to fund a 3A purchase, and now im not planning on getting one of those any time soon, probably want to wait for a second revision on that one. But now i want a new amp to use, since ive been ampless for so long.

Are you saying that the 2Stepdance would be a better option for those sensitive IEM's like my 13's? i get that the P4 will work fine in low gain mode, but does the 2Stepdance sound that much better? I also probably woulda bought one already, but im a huge fan of built in rechargables, ala RSA amps and the iBasso amps, thats what's been holding me back.

thanks in advance for any advice since you have both amps and a similar top end/very sensitive/custom IEM

5. SpudHarris Contributor
    Yes, 2Stepdance is better for that purpose. But the P4 is more flexible.

6. imackler
    If I were to use the P4 for both the ER4S and the HD600 would I need to reconfigure buffers/opamps every time I switch between the iem/over ear? I know that the ER4s is a harder to drive iem but the impedance difference between them is pretty large... Or would one "gain" setting work for both of them?
    Thanks!

7. SpudHarris Contributor
    Hmm... can't answer that off the top of my head. I have it here set in low gain to suit my ES5's and W4's so I guess I just need to see if it will also drive the HD600's. I'll check for you..... give me 20mins or so.

8. HiFlight

Quote:

You would NOT need to change gain between the ER4S and HD600.   High gain should work just fine with them both.

9. SpudHarris Contributor
    I just tried mine in low gain and the P4 gets to about 3-4 o'clock for my listening level. I don't use it in high gain with my ES5's or W4's as I can hardly use the pot at all. Can't comment on high gain with ER4S coz I don't have them but assume Ron knows as he's ate, drank and slept this amp...

10. denis

Quote:

I just can confirm that the P4 works very well in high gain with ER4S.

11. imackler
    Thanks for all the input guys. I just got the "I'm going to buy something awesome" buzz.

12. HiFlight

Quote:

Well, you for sure did buy something awesome!  Congratulations on your new P4!

13. estreeter
    I second the motion, and I rest my case, Your Honour !

Still eagerly awaiting more detailed feedback from Ron on the combination of the D12+P4 : on paper, that looks rather awesome, but seems to be completely overlooked by those hellbent on having the 'lastest and sexiest' kit. C'est La Vie.

14. SoupRKnowva

Quote:

why not

15. HiFlight

Quote:

Sorry, I thought I did report back that the D12/P4 combo sounded great.  While not the greatest in transportability, it would make a very nice desktop rig that would put many larger and more expensive systems to shame.   It worked especially well when fed with the optical output from my H120.

First

Back
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Next

Last