1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by jamato8, Oct 25, 2010.
First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last
  1. SpudHarris Contributor
    Ron,

I tried that combination after reading your post and indeed it is very, very nice. It does however create a lot of noise (high pitch whining etc...) It dissapears when I change out the BUF634 from ground for something else (OPA627AP). Why would that be?

I have since gone back to my favourite chipset OPA111AM L/R > HiC Buf634's > OPA627 top G Socket and bypassed bottom G Socket. This combination seems to suit me the most but am concerned about the thud when turning the P4 on. Will this harm my IEM's?

2. HiFlight
     If you are using the dummy with the 634, it is likely oscillation.  You might try one of the non-Hi bandwidth 634's.    The thump you hear when turning on the amp is normal and will be more or less pronounced depending upon the opamp configuration.  It can be usually be minimized by turning on the amp with the volume at minimum. 

The 627 has a pretty low output, so I would suggest a ground opamp with more output current for better performance.   OTOH, you could also try it with a dummy opamp in the center ground and both V & G empty.   You should get no feedback at all with that configuration.   ISL55002, THS4032 and AD797 also work very well as ground channel opamps.   All can deliver decent output current.  The 797 is single-channel, of course, whereas the 55002 and 4032 are both dual-channels. 

The Hi-C mode of the 634 can be tricky, as it is, by virtue of the much higher bandwidth,  prone to oscillation in many circuits.  I have not personally been a fan of that mod, as the added bandwidth is far, far above the audio bandwidth and many of its harmonics. 

Quote:

3. SpudHarris Contributor
    Thanks for the response Ron, appreciated.

Unless I have something in ground and/or V/ground I get siblance with every chip I care to think of in L/R so always have something in there. I have AD797BRZ's but not the others you mention. Haven't bought any OpAmps for a while as the OPA111's work for me in the P4 and ADA4637's work for me in my Fi-Quest, maybe I'll get onto digikey and see what I can get...

Thanks again

4. HiFlight

Just give the a 797 a try in ground and see what happens.   They always worked well there for me regardless of what I was using for L/R or buffers.  I prefer using G rather than V, but it is a matter of preference. 
    Quote:

5. autarch1
    Ron,

Thanks for the detailed response. I set up my amp as you suggested, and so far I am very pleased. I hadn't realized how much the ground setting changed the sound. I also thought that I needed to have the same things in both V and G so I never would have tried your combo if you hadn't suggested it.

Also, is there any advantage in placing the amp in the standard LR/buffer configuration?

Thanks again,
    Mike

6. imackler
    Hey all,
    Is the P4 complete overkill for iems? I know I don't need that much power for a low impedence iem (westone 4) but is it too powerful? Or is the P4 sonically worth it even though I don't need that much juice?
    Thanks!

7. SpudHarris Contributor
    The beauty of the P4 is the option to drive IEM's if you so wish but also much harder to drive phones if the need arises, it is a very capable amp. I listen with my W4's and they sing with the P4 but then so do my HE-4's (in high gain though)....

I think it's been said before but if you listened to the P4 blindly you would think you were listening to a very nice desktop amp, the sound is big/full.

8. imackler
    Thanks for the response and, can I say, that is fantastically tempting. So the P4 adds to the W4? What opamps do you enjoy with the W4? Glad to hear from someone who uses both!

Quote:

9. SpudHarris Contributor
    You are welcome.

Well, the opamps obviously change the signature but I have been rolling again and have OPA1641 (class A) in L/R > BUF634AU > LT1363 In G/VG. I believe this offers a truly BIG sound through the W4's. Detailed, fast and with very, very good low end definition.

I also squeeze a little extra SQ from the P4 with a 15v Linear PSU. Bang for buck the P4 is unbelievable value and the tweakability to suit many types of phones is just the icing on the cake for me. Also........ iBasso are a great company to do business with :)

10. denis
    Any positive or negative experience of the P4 with Hifiman HE-5LE headphones?

11. HiFlight

Quote:

The P4 can drive them to a comfortable level, but there is not a great deal of headroom left.  If you listen to rock at high volumes, the P4 is probably not the best choice. 

12. denis

OK thanks. Better results with a pair of HE-4's or is it the same than with the HE-5LE's?

I hesitate between the 2 Hifiman headphones. The P4 is only for the vacations before I buy a better AC powered amp.

13. SpudHarris Contributor
    Depends on what levels you listen at but I listen quite loud and I get the pot to about 1-2 oclock in high gain with the HE-4's

14. denis
    I am not listening that loud. On the quality side, is it good?

15. SpudHarris Contributor
    Excellent and even more so considering its small form factor. I've owned many amps both portable and home and the P4 is amongst the best of both.

First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last