OY! Budget 10-200$, looking for decent IEMs or earphones. Cheers!
Jun 15, 2012 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

algloom

New Head-Fier
Good evening!

Yet again I need advice from experts. At the moments I'm doing a little research on which earphones or iems to buy.

My budget is kinda flexible, I would prefer to spend less if its possible, but if the product is worth the money, I would be more than happy to pay around 200$.

What kind of music do I listen? Alot of... perhaps the genre is alternative?
Well alot of Gravenhurst. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYbkVrVXjEc

I would like to find a product that has a quality build (will not fall apart, cord wont break)
is comfortable (often I listen to music before going to bed, earphones that dont hurt your ears when laying on a pillow would be awesome)

I hope there's enough information to find something.

Ah yes, while browsing countless threads here, I spent alot of time reading this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-242-iems-compared-vsonic-gr99-gr02-bass-edition-added-06-11-12#post_6492057

And the following products seemed promising: Yet I have no idea how good they actually are.

sony mdr-ex600
vsonic gr06
audeo phonak perfect bass
soundmagic pl50
klipsch image x10 / x10i

So cheers to all head-fi users and esp to those who can take the time to help me out :)

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 14
Start with something real cheap but sounds great. The Philips SHE3580. $10 or so.  These are so small in your ear that you can sleep with them in your ears.  Another one I would try is the JVC FX40. Cost $22 or so online. The Philips is the easier one to listen to for extended periods of time. The JVCs are nice but require a big burn in time to sound right around 80 hours or so. Try these 2 both have a complete different sound but are great starter earphones and comfy.. Good luck.

Another reason why you would want to try something this cheap is these will give you a good idea what you like in an earphone sound wise then you can up grade later from there. You can buy an expensive earphone but if your not too experienced with earphones. You don't want to spend a lot of money to find out you don't like the sounds of them so much. So I would start cheaper first. Cheaper doesn't mean the sound is not right..Both these are excellent earphones..

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 14
Yeah, I would go with Dsnuts recommendation.

Get a pair of Philips SHE3580 first (easily available and cheap), burn them in and listen to how they sound. From these you could guage your preferences i.e: Too much/little Bass, Mids, Highs...

The experienced Head'fiers here could then zero in on which IEM would best suit you.
Most of us here owns or have heard the SHE3580 at one point or another. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 14
Lovely, I'll get the philips earphones. Going to grab them off amazon or do you have any better suggestions? I live in Estonia. As for # AstroTurfs question, for years I have been using mostly some low-grade earphones that came with the devices (the ones with ipod shuffle were horrible, sony ericsson cellphone - not too bad, but still not great :p etc). Thank you all for the feedback aand cheers!

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 14
Phillips SHE3580 are really good, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I own IEM's in the $150 - $200 range and still use mine on occasions.   They'll definitely give you a feel of what's out there. I wish when I joined I had been given that advice straight up. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Lovely, I'll get the philips earphones. Going to grab them off amazon or do you have any better suggestions? I live in Estonia. As for # AstroTurfs question, for years I have been using mostly some low-grade earphones that came with the devices (the ones with ipod shuffle were horrible, sony ericsson cellphone - not too bad, but still not great :p etc). Thank you all for the feedback aand cheers!

I'm quite certain you be pleasantly surprised by how they'll sound
wink.gif
 given with the list of what you're listening to.

I got a buddy at work to listen to my SHE3580 and he immediately went out during lunch to buy a pair and was enjoying them, unfortunately later (thinking that a more expensive pair would sound even better) he naively went and purchased a S$200 SE215, ...I think he has buyer's remorse cause everytime I ask him how are his Shures, he replies "they are still not burn in yet" ...that's like more than a month past already.
Well, that what you'll get for not reading Head'Fi forums !
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the heads up mate! I think I know how your friend feels.

I haven't received the product yet, but for that price, I am sure it will be a blast. I was quite surprised that you can get ok headphones for such a affordable price.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #12 of 14
Oh, no worries, he was pretty happy after listerning to my JVC FR201(same as FX101) and FX40, now he's eagerly awaiting the delivery of his FX40 order from Amazon.

Then after he has burned in his FX40, I planned to let him audition my ATM CKS77 and CKM500
very_evil_smiley.gif

...afterall, what are friends for, right ?
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Oh, no worries, he was pretty happy after listerning to my JVC FR201(same as FX101) and FX40, now he's eagerly awaiting the delivery of his FX40 order from Amazon.

Then after he has burned in his FX40, I planned to let him audition my ATM CKS77 and CKM500
very_evil_smiley.gif

...afterall, what are friends for, right ?
biggrin.gif

Spoken like a True Audiophile...

LOLz, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back