Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or her) collection. Approved by Lorretta, Judean People's Front
Jun 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #31 of 79
^^I like the silver color better. Preferences aside, these are delight to listen to but can be quite hot at the higher end for longer listening.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #32 of 79
i see you have 272>eq5 , seems you came with us on the dark side
jecklinsmile.gif

you also get that hotness/sibilance too ?
Quote:
^^I like the silver color better. Preferences aside, these are delight to listen to but can be quite hot at the higher end for longer listening.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #33 of 79
Hotness, dryness, darkness, really depends more on the listening habits of the listener. I came from the old and long-standing ER4 camp before in 2005 or 2006 changing to the UM2. I changed away in less than 5 months. I am a sparkle, high-end focus guy. Some aren't. Hotness, and other negative connotations come from habits more so than problems. Unless, that is, the earphone really has glaring problems. The eQ5 does not have problems in any function or sound benchmark, but it isn't for everyone. It is sort of a mid point between ER4/CK10 and something like the UM2 or Westone 3. 

I'm right there with all them, but favour the eQ5 heaps. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #34 of 79
have you listened to the re-272 ?

cause , comparing it to the 272 highs it tends to be a bit sibilant

like i said , maybe there is sth wrong with its filter

it's mids/lows outscore those of the 272 , no question about it

like i said to flysweep which asked me , if the eq5 highs don't give you sibilance , stay where you are

eq5 is very good iem.

edit : i have a suspicion , the sibilance may be of misplaced/worn filters

i just changed them , so i will get back with newer impressions

speaking of filters , where can we buy some spare ones , in case the ones supplied with purchase are worn out ?

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #35 of 79
@shigzeo, interesting :D. I've just finished writing my review of the e-Q5 too!! I'll talk to you more about it in this weekend's meet.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ortofon-e-q5/reviews/6953

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #36 of 79
Quote:
Hotness, dryness, darkness, really depends more on the listening habits of the listener. I came from the old and long-standing ER4 camp before in 2005 or 2006 changing to the UM2. I changed away in less than 5 months. I am a sparkle, high-end focus guy. Some aren't. Hotness, and other negative connotations come from habits more so than problems. Unless, that is, the earphone really has glaring problems. The eQ5 does not have problems in any function or sound benchmark, but it isn't for everyone. It is sort of a mid point between ER4/CK10 and something like the UM2 or Westone 3. 

I'm right there with all them, but favour the eQ5 heaps. 

Hey shigzeo, I have the eQ-5 and I love the way they sound. Base on just sq only, how do you think they compare with FAD heaven s fi-ba-sb ?

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #38 of 79
Jun 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #39 of 79
Quote:
i see you have 272>eq5 , seems you came with us on the dark side
jecklinsmile.gif

you also get that hotness/sibilance too ?

It's not much but certainly can cause fatigue for longer listening session. I kind of like the extension and the balance.

RE272 in indeed much more detailed but lacks the warmth. I am yet to try these with Meier Stepdance. Pretty soon indeed.
Quote:
Hey shigzeo, I have the eQ-5 and I love the way they sound. Base on just sq only, how do you think they compare with FAD heaven s fi-ba-sb ?

Both are fairly distant in presentation. e-Q5 is much more balanced and the bass extension to sub bass region is good. Better at versatility.

FI-BA-SB is fun with not so natural sound, works extremely well for some songs due to its lively presentation. Vocals always seem to find their way to the front. Higher end has spikes at certain frequencies, atleast I get such perception. Shallow insertion provides better sound quality and soundstage. Deep insertion increases the bass presence, to the point where I feel it gets slightly muddy. Much more warmer sounding than the e-Q5.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #40 of 79
I didn't find the treble on e-Q5 to be hot at all and I am quite sensitive to low/mid treble. If you think e-Q5 highs are too present, try ER4S or PFE with grey filters - those have even more treble and yet many people, myself included love their sound. I do believe PFE with grey filters is a tad too bright in the treble though (I still love them, but I tend to listen at low volumes with them or use EQ). e-Q5 has about the perfect balance of upper mids and low treble to my ears - not recessed like so many other headphones are in this region and yet not overly present or harsh either. Listen to SR225 or DT990 if you want to get an idea of what hot treble sounds like. e-Q5 is polite by comparison.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #41 of 79
For the people who experience sibilance, remember sibilance isn't long-term fatigue, nor is it prickly high sounds. Sibilance is, according to the oxford english dictionary:

sibilant |ˈsɪbɪl(ə)nt|
adjective
 1 making or characterized by a hissing sound: his sibilant whisper.
 2 Phonetics (of a speech sound) sounded with a hissing effect, for example s, sh .
nounPhonetics
a sibilant speech sound.

Which is why I contend such examples especially with the eQ5. The earphone simply doesn't make hissing sounds in any treble peaks. There is no strange reverb, either. Now, it may have too much attention in the high frequencies for you, and that I understand well. It is, however, an earphone full of my cup of tea.

Quote:

I think the bloke above me responded perfectly to your question with: 

Both are fairly distant in presentation. e-Q5 is much more balanced and the bass extension to sub bass region is good. Better at versatility.

FI-BA-SB is fun with not so natural sound, works extremely well for some songs due to its lively presentation. Vocals always seem to find their way to the front. Higher end has spikes at certain frequencies, atleast I get such perception. Shallow insertion provides better sound quality and soundstage. Deep insertion increases the bass presence, to the point where I feel it gets slightly muddy. Much more warmer sounding than the e-Q5.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #42 of 79
Quote:
To the e-Q5 long-term users: How does the cable fare? Any problems?

It looks thin but is actually a very well-built cable, little to no memory and very soft. Mine shorted out a little after a year of use at the Y-split, but that's more of how I tend to coil it and put a bit of strain at the Y-split region. The plug itself is very robust (despite being a straight plug) and I won't worry about it, but do pay attention to not stress the Y-split as well as the housings (handle the IEMs themselves, never pull by the cables).

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #43 of 79
How similar is the eQ5 to the FI-BA-A1?

For some reason the I found the A1 to be lacking something. I'm hesitant to describe it, but to me it sounded like it was missing some detail throughout the spectrum. It wasn't very noticeable, but some tracks seemed to lose dynamics during complex passages. I had never found this particular thing to be an issue in other iems so I hypothesized that it occurred because the A1 has only a single armature as opposed to two or more. Has anyone experienced something like this with the eQ5? 

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #44 of 79
Quote:

It's not much but certainly can cause fatigue for longer listening session. I kind of like the extension and the balance.

RE272 in indeed much more detailed but lacks the warmth. I am yet to try these with Meier Stepdance. Pretty soon indeed.

Thanks for the reply. I guess the Fi-BA-SB has a different flavour but a similar sound signature compare to the eQ-5. Do you find the two iems compliment each other? I listen to a wide variety of different genre of music, hopefully if I acquire the Fi-BA-SB all my grounds are covered.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #45 of 79
I didn't find the treble on e-Q5 to be hot at all and I am quite sensitive to low/mid treble. If you think e-Q5 highs are too present, try ER4S or PFE with grey filters - those have even more treble and yet many people, myself included love their sound. I do believe PFE with grey filters is a tad too bright in the treble though (I still love them, but I tend to listen at low volumes with them or use EQ). e-Q5 has about the perfect balance of upper mids and low treble to my ears - not recessed like so many other headphones are in this region and yet not overly present or harsh either. Listen to SR225 or DT990 if you want to get an idea of what hot treble sounds like. e-Q5 is polite by comparison.

ER4S is smooth and extended with the proper insertion, it's treble is based on the human-related-transfer of perceived flatness and has some conservation in the most sensible areas of the ear (6-9k). PFE with gray filters and stock tips are too hot,the stock grey silicones are horrible for them. PFEs need tips with a small bore to resonate that higher treble (I use Klipsch oval tips), once you achieve that they're not offensive at all and very flat. EQ5 are more offensive than both and you cant use small bore tips because it's acoustics makes it resonate part of the mids as well. Still, it isn't that bad. Those that have the issue, try longer tips, biflange or triflange. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back