Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or her) collection. Approved by Lorretta, Judean People's Front
Jun 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #17 of 79
Underrated probably because they came out AFTER the eQ7, which was more expensive. You know how our circles go: for the most expensive, and then leave 2nd round to clean up from 'budget' buyers. People skipped it here at least because it was cheaper and came out later. It is one of the best universals at any price on many fronts. It's an understated design and a middling price, meaning it doesn't draw the eye as much as uber expensive earphones do. 

Not sad for the eQ5, really, but sad as I can so easily paste a stereo onto headfiers and begin typing.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #18 of 79
I'd buy another offering from Ortofon. Great IEM for my liking. I don't have seal issues.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 79
Quote:

ive been to tokyo a couple of times, and yes, trains are normally less busy. but rush hour its the same. its hard to even expand your lungs. the subway trains are shorter (less carriages) here than in tokyo.
lots of cars. and yh, big cars, unlike tokyo where they actually have the common sense to ride smaller cars in such a densely populated city...

and yeah, shame about the fit. the sound was great for my classical music

I had the same fit issues at the beginning. Now I put on a pair of silicone earguides from my Sennheisers iE 8 and the cable stay perfectly in place behind my ears resulting a perfect fit.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #21 of 79
I'm looking to buy some e-Q5s if anyone has a pair available please?

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 79
I really enjoyed my time with the e-Q5.  Moved 'up' to it from the GR07 (loved most everything about the GR07 except for the lack of dynamic range).. and was very happy with the decision.  One thing I distinctly remember about the e-Q5 was the incredible control it possessed.  I was rarely able to make it 'break a sweat' with complex, dynamic pieces of music.  It was impressively neutral, smooth, and had just the right touch of warmth to make music sound weighty.  It's a phone that's very easy to listen to.  The other thing I remembered was how stunning vocals sounded on them.  Not necessarily presented the same way the RE262 or A161 presents vocals, but the e-Q5 had excellent clarity and timbre when it came to vocals.

It's certainly one of my favorites that stands the test of time, IMO.  I wish there was a better distro for NA so these would get their due praise.  It came remarkably close to reproducing the sound & feel of the HD600.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #24 of 79
I'm looking to buy some e-Q5s if anyone has a pair available please?

I purchased my pair from a Amazon.co.jp & had it shipped using the Tenso forwarding service.  The whole process was super easy.. and it's as cheap as you're going to find the e-Q5 : ~USD$175, Tenso's shipping charge was ~USD$20.. so the total was a hair under USD$200.. which is an excellent price for them.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #25 of 79
Quote:

I purchased my pair from a Amazon.co.jp & had it shipped using the Tenso forwarding service.  The whole process was super easy.. and it's as cheap as you're going to find the e-Q5 : ~USD$175, Tenso's shipping charge was ~USD$20.. so the total was a hair under USD$200.. which is an excellent price for them.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll look into that.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #26 of 79
Good suggestions. How do they handle guarantee service from Amazon JP? I know there are a number of grey market exporters here (Japanese say there are none and that if there are, they are all Chinese, but that is crock) and importers here, so I'd check it's from a real exporter, and not just a corner store that buys from other stores and sells abroad.

I got hit with that about two years ago and had no support. Just be careful.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #28 of 79
I just found out that I can buy a pack of the Ortofon ear pieces for pretty cheap here. The eQ series' silicon pieces are comfy as all heaven. Perhaps one of the best reasons to go for them in the first place.

Ah yes.. the tips were great!  Very comfy, indeed.. they had a wide bore and tight squeeze on the nozzle.. so they'd work quite well for a variety of other IEMs, too.  Wish I could find/get the tips for cheap over here in the states.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #29 of 79
subscribed

i like them , but i get some sibilance from them and i don't know why this happens - then again i am comparing them with my re-272 which are a treble beauty

maybe bad filter placement ?

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #30 of 79
i've been advocating the e-q5s for quite some time now. shortly after i bought them, i came on here to spread the word about how incredible they were. i think i managed to persuade a few member to get them. they are certainly a very "forgotten" earphone on this site now and i really dont know why. I've yet to have heard anything better. go for the red color, they look amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back