Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #691 of 1,026
great pics indeed

you may wanna try them with some sony hybrids tips as well

i also happen to have the re-272 and eq-5 and i rotate them constantly

the eq5 seems to have better mids , while the 272 seems better in the highs

i tend to get some sibilance from the eq5 which is kinda fatiguing (maybe myfilter is misplaced?) and that's when i switch to the 272 which has no sibilance/fatigue whatsoever

if i could get rid of the sibilance , i think my eq5 would be my go-to iem , but for now it sits alongside 272 which is less impressive but doesn't make my ears hurt

both are very nice iems and it's a shame that others iems like tf10 get so much praise

then again , the majority is usually wrong so....

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #692 of 1,026
I will get some sony hybrids and try'em.

Agree that these can be fatiguing for longer listening. I'll see if anything changes after more than 100+ hours (I remember that RE272's bass response got much better and the highs settled down after 100+ hours). These actually remind me of analytical IEMs with a touch of warmth and brilliant bass impact, speed and texture.

On the go or outside I prefer FXT90 for their musicality (FXT90 has generally appreciated mainstream sound). But if asked to keep one, I'd keep these because e-Q5 shows more technical prowess in sounding balanced, no mid bass hump, brilliant bass texture, speed, impressive highs and versatile enough for the range of genres I listen to.

Still a lot more days left to make my final impression.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #693 of 1,026
Hi guys, just wondering...I've had the EQ-5s for a year and absolutely love them. Bu now, I'm getting the itch again. Are the EQ-7s so similar as not to make it worth it? Any others I should consider. I don't plan the get rid of the 5s. Can't imagine ever getting rid of them.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #694 of 1,026
The e-Q7 sound very similar to me. I'll never consider it an upgrade, if that's what you were looking for.

I'm in the same boat as well - supremely pleased with my e-Q5 and itching to upgrade along a similar signature, but so far nothing matches the combination of sound and functionality for me (EX1000 has the SQ down, but the ergonomics and isolation are deal-breakers for me). I would snap at a straight upgrade of these babies :wink:

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #696 of 1,026
having the 272 and the eq5 , i think next logical step should be customs

no point in shelling out 300-400$ for a 5-10% increase in SQ

anyway , no dough atm but still very pleased with my 1-2 combo here

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #697 of 1,026

Quote:
I will get some sony hybrids and try'em.

Agree that these can be fatiguing for longer listening. I'll see if anything changes after more than 100+ hours (I remember that RE272's bass response got much better and the highs settled down after 100+ hours). These actually remind me of analytical IEMs with a touch of warmth and brilliant bass impact, speed and texture.

On the go or outside I prefer FXT90 for their musicality (FXT90 has generally appreciated mainstream sound). But if asked to keep one, I'd keep these because e-Q5 shows more technical prowess in sounding balanced, no mid bass hump, brilliant bass texture, speed, impressive highs and versatile enough for the range of genres I listen to.

Still a lot more days left to make my final impression.

Very Nice. I Like following your plight. Never heard the 272's Indeed the JVC's are superb. I can;t put my finger (or ear) on what may bother me about them. I keep listening to the JVC's though

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #698 of 1,026
Does anyone know if the e-Q5s come with a separate warranty card?  The right side of mine crapped out after 4 months of moderate use and I'm starting the warranty return process with accessoryjack (they aren't an authorized dealer, so they handle warranty claims themselves, I guess).  I have the box and instruction manual, which talks about the warranty, but I think there was a separate card which I may have thrown out.

I think I may sell the replacement pair I get, since I haven't been super impressed with these.  In terms of comfort, they are far inferior to the UE700s which were my everyday phones until they got destroyed by my roommate's dog.  They feel big in the ear and require frequent adjustment with all of the tips I've tried.  The sound quality, while mostly great, has a quite pronounced sibilance at almost any volume and is not worlds better than my deceased UE700s which only cost me $70.  Worst of all is the apparent lack of durability.  It's pretty inexcusable for earphones these costly to die at 4 months.  They weren't even my primary pair until the UE700s were murdered a couple months back.  Even $20 meelecs that I handled with much less care lasted far longer.

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #699 of 1,026
Quote:
Does anyone know if the e-Q5s come with a separate warranty card?  The right side of mine crapped out after 4 months of moderate use and I'm starting the warranty return process with accessoryjack (they aren't an authorized dealer, so they handle warranty claims themselves, I guess).  I have the box and instruction manual, which talks about the warranty, but I think there was a separate card which I may have thrown out.

I think I may sell the replacement pair I get, since I haven't been super impressed with these.  In terms of comfort, they are far inferior to the UE700s which were my everyday phones until they got destroyed by my roommate's dog.  They feel big in the ear and require frequent adjustment with all of the tips I've tried.  The sound quality, while mostly great, has a quite pronounced sibilance at almost any volume and is not worlds better than my deceased UE700s which only cost me $70.  Worst of all is the apparent lack of durability.  It's pretty inexcusable for earphones these costly to die at 4 months.  They weren't even my primary pair until the UE700s were murdered a couple months back.  Even $20 meelecs that I handled with much less care lasted far longer.

No Warranty Card, just manual, in Japanese Sorry yours went out on you. I can imagine there would be fit issues with smaller ear canals. About the dog thing, My Exes Dog devoured a pair of my old Shure 500's I loved those

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #700 of 1,026
i had a pair of re-262 destroyed at gym

after that , the eq5/re272 stay put at home use

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #701 of 1,026

Quote:
i had a pair of re-262 destroyed at gym

after that , the eq5/re272 stay put at home use

Hey proedros,
Being a fan of the EQ-5, can you tell me how you like the 262's, and or the 272's. Sorry for the off topic, but I've been meaning to as this question for a little while now. Thank You

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #702 of 1,026

Quote:
Hey proedros,
Being a fan of the EQ-5, can you tell me how you like the 262's, and or the 272's. Sorry for the off topic, but I've been meaning to as this question for a little while now. Thank You

I too own RE272. e-Q5 is much more aggressive compared to 272 and packs good bass punch with great texture and speed.
RE272 is good for slow genres. But not when you want adrenaline rush.

Sort of they complement each other.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #703 of 1,026
the 262 had a huge treble roll off and i never really enjoyed them a lot - i didn't try them amped though

the 272 are very nice iems and i am very happy with them, they have amazing detail and on the neutral side

tbh i prefer them over the eq5 , as eq5 tends to tire me with its sibilant highs

they are different and they work coplementary , but if i had to keep just one - it would be 272 without a thought

if you like detailed,neutral sound the 272 are very,very good

Quote:
Hey proedros,

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #704 of 1,026

Quote:
you may wanna try them with some sony hybrids tips as well  

I tried medium sized hybrids (which I got with EX57LP). Treble was a bit subdued and the sound was kind of closed in.

Switched back to Smallest stock tips, IEM goes inside my canals till the point where they are no longer protruding beyond intertragic incisure. Treble is much more raw now and sounds quite open that way. I think I prefer it.

What were your impressions with hybrids ?

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #705 of 1,026
tbh , i have fallen in love with a new setup for the re-272 (which i suggest you try) and i dont use much the eq5 lately

large 'fake' sony hybrids worn behind the ears/upside down (with the reversed channels cable)

oh man , they completely destroy eq5 in detail and clarity

the eq5 with hybrids sound fine , but really after switching to the new 272 setup....no contest whatsoever.

i may end up selling eq5 , and that says a lot about 272.

actually i tried today the eq5 with the large sony hybrid tips and they sounded kinda muffled compared to the 272 - maybe there's something wrong with my filter i will change/replace it

Quote:
I tried medium sized hybrids (which I got with EX57LP). Treble was a bit subdued and the sound was kind of closed in.

Switched back to Smallest stock tips, IEM goes inside my canals till the point where they are no longer protruding beyond intertragic incisure. Treble is much more raw now and sounds quite open that way. I think I prefer it.

What were your impressions with hybrids ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back