Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #676 of 1,026
can someone do a pic step-by-step post ? i have some sony tips and i'd love to try it out thanx

Quote:
Great Suggestion King James!!. Cutting the hybrid stem  in half is perfect

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #677 of 1,026
Quote:
Great Suggestion King James!!. Cutting the hybrid stem  in half is perfect

You're welcome. It's amazing how the hybrids can be used for sound tuning by gradually trimming their stem. The more you chop off, the brighter and less bassy they become. The crucial point is to know when to stop :p

Btw, don't throw away the parts you've cut off, they'll come in handy if you ever need to prevent de-cored olives from sliding off nozzles.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #678 of 1,026
Quote:
can someone do a pic step-by-step post ? i have some sony tips and i'd love to try it out thanx

Sorry, can't do any pics right now, but it's easy as pie. Just turn the hybrids inside out and cut a thin slice off their stem. Then try how they sound. If there's still too much bass and little treble, cut off another slice.

Like I said, they'll gradually become brighter and less bassy and you need to stop before you go too far :wink:

(Well the short version for the e-Q5 is to just cut off half of the stem, cause that's about what they need)

Edit: I'll try to post a short tutorial with pics tomorrow...

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #679 of 1,026

Quote:

You're welcome. It's amazing how the hybrids can be used for sound tuning by gradually trimming their stem. The more you chop off, the brighter and less bassy they become. The crucial point is to know when to stop :p

Btw, don't throw away the parts you've cut off, they'll come in handy if you ever need to prevent de-cored olives from sliding off nozzles.

Exactly half. I just Eyeballed it, and they both came off perfect

Just cut the white stem in half with a good pair of scissors 
Quote:
Sorry, can't do any pics right now, but it's easy as pie. Just turn the hybrids inside out and cut a thin slice off their stem. Then try how they sound. If there's still too much bass and little treble, cut off another slice.

Like I said, they'll gradually become brighter and less bassy and you need to stop before you go too far :wink:

(Well the short version for the e-Q5 is to just cut off half of the stem, cause that's about what they need)

Edit: I'll try to post a short tutorial with pics tomorrow...

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #680 of 1,026

Quote:

Another Good point. I'll save the halves on the next one. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #681 of 1,026

ok i think i get it - good point on mentioning he white as i was about to cut the black lol

i think i speak  quite good english , but it's not my native language so misconceptions will happen now and then

thank you !!!

Quote:
Exactly half. I just Eyeballed it, and they both came off perfect

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #682 of 1,026
No Worries. If I can be of further help, Let me know

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #683 of 1,026
When using the M stock tips, I get deeper insertion but I feel like I'm hearing some sound bleed out & the fit is a little loose.  When using the L stock tips, I get proper isolation and a tighter fit, but the seating is a little to shallow & I am sensing some in-ear resonance & congestion.  So, I really like how these sound with the stock tips but the fit/comfort could be a little better.

A few questions..

Is the hybrid tip's nozzle opening as wide as the e-Q5's nozzle?  In my experience, using tips whose nozzle opening is smaller than the phone's nozzle opening tends to attenuate the treble and in some cases, distort the sound.  Two things i'm not looking to do.

I certainly don't desire to have the treble attenuated at all.  Even if the hybrids bump the bass up a tiny bit (without muddying up or recessing the mids & treble), that's fine with me.  The big thing is.. I like the balance of them with the stock tips.  If the hybrids can (closely) preserve the sound quality/signature of the stock tips while improving the fit, I'll spring for them.  Also, we're talking about the genuine hybrids tips not the fake ones, correct?

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #684 of 1,026

Quote:
When using the M stock tips, I get deeper insertion but I feel like I'm hearing some sound bleed out & the fit is a little loose.  When using the L stock tips, I get proper isolation and a tighter fit, but the seating is a little to shallow & I am sensing some in-ear resonance & congestion.  So, I really like how these sound with the stock tips but the fit/comfort could be a little better.

A few questions..

Is the hybrid tip's nozzle opening as wide as the e-Q5's nozzle?  In my experience, using tips whose nozzle opening is smaller than the phone's nozzle opening tends to attenuate the treble and in some cases, distort the sound.  Two things i'm not looking to do.

I certainly don't desire to have the treble attenuated at all.  Even if the hybrids bump the bass up a tiny bit (without muddying up or recessing the mids & treble), that's fine with me.  The big thing is.. I like the balance of them with the stock tips.  If the hybrids can (closely) preserve the sound quality/signature of the stock tips while improving the fit, I'll spring for them.  Also, we're talking about the genuine hybrids tips not the fake ones, correct?

Yes Genuine Hybrids  When they are on the Nozzle the opening is as wide. When using the stock tips, I have always found they sound best by not inserting full depth.Same with the hybrids. I use the Large all the time. never even tried M or S. But, by cutting the stem of the Hybrids in half changes everything. I haven;t done a full Comparison with the Stock Ortofon tips, but they are now just as good, and can be inserted all the in (to the G spot) 
rolleyes.gif
 And they sound fantastic. Fly you may not be able to notice much of this until you burn these baby's in, but buy the Sony hybrids and cut the stem. You will not be dissapointed

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #685 of 1,026
Quote:
A few questions..

Yeah, you need the genuine hybrids, cause these are more flexible than fakes. The nozzle opening on the hybrids is smaller than the phone's nozzle, so they will attenuate treble and sound too bassy and congested without modification. But the more you shorten their stem, the more their opening will stretch over the phone's nozzle and open up (that's why you need the flexible genuine tips for doing that). The more they open up, the clearer and less bassy they'll become.

My sweet spot for the e-Q5 is at half length, but you can find your own by following this simple procedure:

1. Cut a thin slice (about 1mm) off the stems.
2. Stretch the tips all the way onto the nozzle and listen.
3. If they still sound too bassy/congested, repeat from step 1.
4. Stop if they sound just right, cause you can't undo your next step.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #686 of 1,026
which other iems would you recommend of same sonic value around the 250$ mark ?

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #687 of 1,026
I am glad that I got these, thanks to proedros for recommending these. Bass is awesomely textured, vocals are silky smooth and the treble got enough sparkle. There is no noticeable mid bass hump unlike FXT90. JVC FXT90 sounds more musical though. These are warmer than RE272 (but not FXT90) and thicker in midrange (FXT90 got more thickness). Bass texture is much better than RE272 (though synergy of ZO2 and RE272 surpasses everything) and quantitatively more bass than Hisound Golden Crystal's while GC shares same good texture. Although emphasis on treble is less compared to Hisound Golden Crystal but imaging, separation and soundstage is much better comparatively.

Versatile earphones, good for any genre so far whatever I have thrown at these. No driver flex as opposed to FXT90, Xears XE200PRO and TFTA 2V1S.

However these hiss with ZO2 probably due to variable impedance over frequency range but one won't notice it once the music starts. Ok, that hiss was due to keeping the ZO2 on charging via mini  USB type B cable. It's gone once I removed the charging cable. I guess it's the same thing with other BA (MA) IEMs too. Hiss is less perceptible in high impedance IEMs (RE-0). All others dynamic driver IEMs do have minor cases of hissing while keeping ZO2 on charging.

Some pics:

Setup: FUZE+ + ZO2,   Foobar (WASAPI) + Asus Xonar STX (RCA) + ZO2

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #689 of 1,026
No Doubt, your Pics are Fantastic. Do you use a top of line camera? Looks like there is no flash residue, just very natural.

2 questions;

1 Are those Medium Stock tips on the Ortos

2 Is there a chance that these are not burned is yet. (These do require) I ask I think the Ortofons are light years beyond the JVC's in all categories 

EDIT;;  I probably used the wrong words on question 2, as so much of this is personal prefference. And the JVC 90 are a fantastic IEM 

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #690 of 1,026

Quote:
No Doubt, your Pics are Fantastic. Do you use a top of line camera? Looks like there is no flash residue, just very natural.

2 questions;

1 Are those Medium Stock tips on the Ortos

2 Is there a chance that these are not burned is yet. (These do require) I ask I think the Ortofons are light years beyond the JVC's in all categories 

EDIT;;  I probably used the wrong words on question 2, as so much of this is personal prefference. And the JVC 90 are a fantastic IEM 

Thanks

1. These are the small stock tips (I'll confirm when I get back home because, at one time, I did swap with medium sized). Ok, these are small stock tips.

2. Yeah, these are not burned in as much as the JVCs are. I would most probably write my final impression after 1 month of burn in. Same goes for FXT90. I just did a brief comparison to all the IEMs I own, according to personal observations. No doubt, technically, these are far superior to FXT90.

I used Nikon D7000 with default kit lens in daylight for clicking the snaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back