Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #706 of 1,026

Quote:
tbh , i have fallen in love with a new setup for the re-272 (which i suggest you try) and i dont use much the eq5 lately

large 'fake' sony hybrids worn behind the ears/upside down (with the reversed channels cable)

oh man , they completely destroy eq5 in detail and clarity

Agree that RE-272 wins in detail and clarity (I am using). But as a whole I prefer e-Q5's presentation and versatility. Wont be selling either of these :p

I am using light blue colored sony hybrids for RE-272

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #707 of 1,026
dunno , there is something in the eq5 sound that bugs me

maybe i get bad fit or misplaced filter ?

they have this recurring sibilance which annoys me - if they had the 272 highs , then it would be a dream iem for 250$

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #708 of 1,026
Firstly.... Hi everyone, this is my first post but i have been an avid reader of the site for some time. It is also the cause of relieving me of a fair amount of money!!  
etysmile.gif

In the pursuit of complete audio satisfaction like so many of you on here i have owned, sold and broken a number of IEM's, far to many to mention, but the ones of any note are -  VModa's followed Sure E2C's, UE 5 Pros, Klipsch Image X10 and on to my current buds.......the Ortofon e-Q5's!

So, that brings me to the reason for posting. I just don't feel i am getting the sound quality i expected from a pretty expensive set of phones. it may be that the sound sig is just completely wrong for my tastes (mostly 70's -90's rock and a lot of instrumental guitar). I have probably got a good few hundred hours on them now and i have tried the Sony Hybrid tips, but i just find them a bit 'bright' in the treble for the majority of the music i listen to.

Can anyone on here offer any advice of other things i can try, or have i just bought completely the wrong buds? - In which case can anyone offer any alternatives that they feel would better suit.

I use an Iphone 4S as my primary portable player, which i hook up to a Fiio amp with a LOD cable - unless the extra cabling is too much of a hastle.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #709 of 1,026

Quote:
Firstly.... Hi everyone, this is my first post but i have been an avid reader of the site for some time. It is also the cause of relieving me of a fair amount of money!!  
etysmile.gif

In the pursuit of complete audio satisfaction like so many of you on here i have owned, sold and broken a number of IEM's, far to many to mention, but the ones of any note are -  VModa's followed Sure E2C's, UE 5 Pros, Klipsch Image X10 and on to my current buds.......the Ortofon e-Q5's!

So, that brings me to the reason for posting. I just don't feel i am getting the sound quality i expected from a pretty expensive set of phones. it may be that the sound sig is just completely wrong for my tastes (mostly 70's -90's rock and a lot of instrumental guitar). I have probably got a good few hundred hours on them now and i have tried the Sony Hybrid tips, but i just find them a bit 'bright' in the treble for the majority of the music i listen to.

Can anyone on here offer any advice of other things i can try, or have i just bought completely the wrong buds? - In which case can anyone offer any alternatives that they feel would better suit.

I use an Iphone 4S as my primary portable player, which i hook up to a Fiio amp with a LOD cable - unless the extra cabling is too much of a hastle

Sony Hybrids are ok, but a mod for them helps considerable, by simply cutting the stem in half. This allows you to get them deeper in.  One only drawback with the Ortos, is that you have to have pretty large canals, or you may not get a good seal. Do you have the original slicone tips. I switch off between them and the modded hybrids I probably listen to the same music you do, lots of guitar stuff, and I find these superb...What is your actual complaint(s)  Is it mainly the brightness as you mention above? Do you get ssssssiblance. If you dont have any original tips try the Sony hybrid mod, and like she said "Jam those things in there"

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #710 of 1,026

Quote:
Sony Hybrids are ok, but a mod for them helps considerable, by simply cutting the stem in half. This allows you to get them deeper in.  One only drawback with the Ortos, is that you have to have pretty large canals, or you may not get a good seal. Do you have the original slicone tips. I switch off between them and the modded hybrids I probably listen to the same music you do, lots of guitar stuff, and I find these superb...What is your actual complaint(s)  Is it mainly the brightness as you mention above? Do you get ssssssiblance. If you dont have any original tips try the Sony hybrid mod, and like she said "Jam those things in there"

Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned that i have already done the stem mod to the Hybrids. I have recently been switching between the medium and large to try and figure out which give me the better seal, as i know this is all important with any IEM. At the moment i have stuck with the large, but i haven't gone back to the stock tips for a while so i might give that a try.

I can't say that i have particularly noticed any siblance to speak of, so it is really just the brightness. The X10's i had previously seemed to have a more rounded warm sound, where these are really quite brash in places to the point where i can only hear the treble notes in some passages, cymbals just seem to drown out any other instruments - maybe my ears are just more sensitive to certain frequencies?
I am currently playing around with an app called EQu by Elephantcandy - basically an equaliser for the iphone which allows you to dial in your own settings rather than using the stock eq's that apple provide, which are all pretty pants really. I am struggling to find a curve that I really like though.

I don't really like using an Eq, i feel that a manufacturer like Ortofon will have gone to a lot of trouble to create a particular sound signature designed to sound how they intended with either a flat or no eq - plus as it is an app, it is quite CPU hungry and drains battery at a fair rate.

Maybe I'm just being overly critical or maybe i am not getting the required fit as you say. I just wanted them to sound awesome with no fiddling around, and to me they don't.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #711 of 1,026

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned that i have already done the stem mod to the Hybrids. I have recently been switching between the medium and large to try and figure out which give me the better seal, as i know this is all important with any IEM. At the moment i have stuck with the large, but i haven't gone back to the stock tips for a while so i might give that a try.

I can't say that i have particularly noticed any siblance to speak of, so it is really just the brightness. The X10's i had previously seemed to have a more rounded warm sound, where these are really quite brash in places to the point where i can only hear the treble notes in some passages, cymbals just seem to drown out any other instruments - maybe my ears are just more sensitive to certain frequencies?
I am currently playing around with an app called EQu by Elephantcandy - basically an equaliser for the iphone which allows you to dial in your own settings rather than using the stock eq's that apple provide, which are all pretty pants really. I am struggling to find a curve that I really like though.

I don't really like using an Eq, i feel that a manufacturer like Ortofon will have gone to a lot of trouble to create a particular sound signature designed to sound how they intended with either a flat or no eq - plus as it is an app, it is quite CPU hungry and drains battery at a fair rate.

Maybe I'm just being overly critical or maybe i am not getting the required fit as you say. I just wanted them to sound awesome with no fiddling around, and to me they don't.

Well being overly critical is what we do. It's possible that these are just not for you. Here's my take. I use EQ on my Sony sometimes and I amp sometimes, but it's more of a mood thing, and an enhancement. I usually don't care for a phone if I must EQ to make it sound good
  The Brightness that you speak of, sounds exactly like the problem I had with the Grado 10's. Within 5 Minutes of the Ortos, I knew I had my match. It was borrowed and burned in. i mainly used large Hybrids, and then I just bought a brand new set. To this day, it's been large stock tips, and large Hybrids (for a little change) I never even tried sm or med. On every other phone I have had, I've been the tip scientist

I also have the GR-07 Vsonics, and as with all these things, tips and seal are critical. To cut down on the sometimes harsh highs I hear from them, (Especially with the really heavy Rock stuff) I like the Large bi-flange from Head Direct. There is another head-fier I sometimes go back and forth with, as he says that he gets the most siblance with these tips than any other. (Go Figure) I keep saying, do you have a good seal? As when I tried theses biflange, with a poor seal, I hear baaaaad siblance. But he swears he's getting a good seal, and I belive him fully.
  These IEMS are so finicky in many different cases, but I absolutely adore these Ortofon EQ-5's

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #712 of 1,026
bump , cause i hate seeing them getting so little love

i am still rotating them with my re-272 , and the mids in the 5s is better than those of the 272

like i said before , only bad thing that these IEM sometimes has is a recurring highs sibilance which leads to listening fatigue.

still , i think these have a very nice all around presentation.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #713 of 1,026

Quote:
bump , cause i hate seeing them getting so little love

i am still rotating them with my re-272 , and the mids in the 5s is better than those of the 272

like i said before , only bad thing that these IEM sometimes has is a recurring highs sibilance which leads to listening fatigue.

still , i think these have a very nice all around presentation.

Have you try changing the tips? I love mine just with the standard med size tips, but I can get a different sound with different tips.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #715 of 1,026
I've come late to this camp, but I agree with all the positive reviews. The eQ5 are the most impressive earphones I've laid ears on in years, custom or not custom. There are few things I'd change for the price, but overall, there is nothing at all wrong, or lacking, in these wonderful music makers. I've just posted my full review of them and you can guess at the outcome: KISS (5/5).

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #717 of 1,026
I've heard it, but not for long enough to make formal impressions. I missed about a year, but I've got to say, it couldn't have come at a better time. Imagine me as my CK10 got heavily abused (but still tick and tick) and I'm faced with a lot of more expensive earphones. I'll listen to the EX1000 someday, but it didn't impress me as much as the eQ5. I almost didn't want to review such an old product, but, honestly, these could be classics. There is no turning from such wonderful sound and good fit.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #718 of 1,026
do we have any new arrivals on the eq-5 wagon ?

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #719 of 1,026
Quote:
do we have any new arrivals on the eq-5 wagon ?

Yes :D i am proud to own the eQ-5's for about 4 months now and i can say that for the moment i have stopped my search for the best phones.

I live in Romania and bought them from a specialized HI-FI store in Bucharest. I don't know if i have a case of bad luck but: the first pair broke, i mean the right earphone started slightly distorting  the sound after 2 weeks of use. i don't know why because i did not force them or anything. when i took them to the service i found out that they are the first pair in Romania ever to be brought back for service
confused_face.gif
 . The phones were sent in Denmark for technical evaluation and in aprox. 1 week i got a call from the shop where i bought them to come and pick up a brand new one without any explanation.

Right now i am enjoying them to the fullest but i am a bit concerned because at this new pair the LEFT earphone started distorting far less than the previous and the distortion disappears if i turn up the volume close to maximum and back again. The distortion appears usually in the morning after i don't use them over the night.

At this point i don't know what to do, if i should go again to the service or wait to see if the problem disappears.

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #720 of 1,026
I now have a new favorite IEM, the e-Q5 has everything I want in an IEM.  Great detail, very good bass, lush mids (but not to forward thats what I didn't like about the e-Q7), crisp yet not harsh highs and a great soundstage.  I've had these for about 6 hours and I've listen to them for about 5 of thoughs 6, I just love this IEM.  Ortofon fixed everything that I didn't like in the e-Q7 which is still a very good IEM.  The mids are pushed back more but by no means recessed and the highs are brighter with more sparkle, also the soundstage does seem to be a bit bigger with more air in it.  I still say the R-50 has more micro detail but the e-Q5 is more fun to listen to and really isn't that far behind the R-50 in over all detail.  I think they're priced very well now at $200 (at Musica Acoustics) and don't now why more people aren't getting these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back