Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #721 of 1,026
Quote:
I now have a new favorite IEM, the e-Q5 has everything I want in an IEM.  Great detail, very good bass, lush mids (but not to forward thats what I didn't like about the e-Q7), crisp yet not harsh highs and a great soundstage.  I've had these for about 6 hours and I've listen to them for about 5 of thoughs 6, I just love this IEM.  Ortofon fixed everything that I didn't like in the e-Q7 which is still a very good IEM.  The mids are pushed back more but by no means recessed and the highs are brighter with more sparkle, also the soundstage does seem to be a bit bigger with more air in it.  I still say the R-50 has more micro detail but the e-Q5 is more fun to listen to and really isn't that far behind the R-50 in over all detail.  I think they're priced very well now at $200 (at Musica Acoustics) and don't now why more people aren't getting these.

Yes I agree the e-Q5 are not so much discussed lately but for this price I think it is hard to find another earphone wish such balanced and precision.
BTW, American dealer has them on Sale for 200 as well. While Musica will ship it from Japan, it is faster getting them locally

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #722 of 1,026
Only sore point is the comfort level. I don't find these fun to listen to but they stay quite balanced and that's where they do well. But these getting less time now.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #723 of 1,026
I've finally heard the true potential of the e-Q5.  I was using my phone (Pantech Burst) which sounds great and gives a wider sound to all my IEM's but out of my Fuze the bass has more depth and impact and the mids and highs sound cleaner and more detail comes through.  The soundstage width is a tiny bit less and they lose some of the airiness but over all it sounds more cohesive now, this is a great IEM for only $200 new.

I'm working on a full review that I'll have up in a few days or so in the Head Gear section.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #724 of 1,026
Quote:
I've finally heard the true potential of the e-Q5.  I was using my phone (Pantech Burst) which sounds great and gives a wider sound to all my IEM's but out of my Fuze the bass has more depth and impact and the mids and highs sound cleaner and more detail comes through.  The soundstage width is a tiny bit less and they lose some of the airiness but over all it sounds more cohesive now, this is a great IEM for only $200 new.

I'm working on a full review that I'll have up in a few days or so in the Head Gear section.

looking forward to the review. If inspired, I may post my first review some day too on this forum

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #725 of 1,026
Sep 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #726 of 1,026
I will check it now
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #727 of 1,026
Sep 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #728 of 1,026
I to have an ever so faint hiss from time to time but I only hear it when there's a brake in the track like with trance or progressive, when I don't use the E11 its gone.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #729 of 1,026
I have a query regarding the E-Q5. I have not been able to get a
satisfying seal with it. One part of the problem is that the tips are
too shallow.The other part is that the IEMs themselves are too heavy,
and hence when worn downwards, they tug on the tips and hence the seal
is lost.

Of the many things I tried, one of them included using sony hybrid
medium tips, but even with that, I had to push the housing right into
my brain in order to get a satisfying seal.Even with my large ears, it
was uncomfortable.Also, you should probably know that I have slightly
angled right ear canal.

Can you please recommend a solution for this problem? Should I go for
deep insertion(which i prefer)? Or is it possible to achieve a
satisfactory seal with shallow insertion? In any case, what are the
recommended tips?

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #730 of 1,026
Are you lifting your ear and relaxing your jaw on insertion?

This will allow a deeper insertion. (see vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwXEqe6Gq4

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #731 of 1,026
Quote:
Are you lifting your ear and relaxing your jaw on insertion?
This will allow a deeper insertion. (see vid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwXEqe6Gq4

The video helped, especially the suggestion to twist the iem while insertion ! Thank you..

Also, I noticed during all my tip experimentation, that the sound of these IEMs vary a LOT with the type tips used.. what are the tips recommended for spiking treble, and reducing the mid emphasis?

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #733 of 1,026
Sound indeed varies with tips (but not as much as FXT90 can sound very different with different tips). Also soundstage width/depth changes with tips. I use the triple flanges I got with my Hisound Crystals. With hybrids, the mids become recessed and bass boosted. Stock tips are a tad brighter with more depth compared to triple flanges.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #734 of 1,026
The Cowon J3 + E11 + e-Q5 = magic, and that's are math lesson for the day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back