Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #661 of 1,026

Quote:

Notice the tips in the review picture. Just sayin.
wink_face.gif

I'm with you on the DBA and even found the gr07 a bit too much but to be honest, I found the E-q5 crossed that line with stock tips too. Really think them tons of fun with hybrids.

Ok I like the original Large ortofon tips the best.  I have not once heard siblance from the EQ5's I think the Vsonics R07 have a harsh peak that can be tamed with burn in and tips but not the Eq5's Sure they are bright (not as bright as the Grado GR10) imho, but not harsh. this brightness is what gives this beautiful air and transparency. If folks are using brand new out of the Box Moving armatures, give them minimum of 100 hours (200 is better) burn in time before evaluating. 100 is suggested by Joseph Grado. They tend to be a little congested at the get go

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #662 of 1,026
Always room for preference.
bigsmile_face.gif
 They were a bit too hot for me with stock tips and there's no question that the Sony tips offer a different set of trade offs. The top isn't sibilant like the gr07 which I agree about but it's also a bit emphasized and not as refined as the best. I found DBAs too top tilted also and I'm used to Stax so I'm not shy of highs. They also don't cost as much as top tiers and I really like them so I'm not disparaging them in the least. I'm just not an all good/all bad type of poster. Nothing's perfect.

Often said the same about break in and my Grados didn't even become all they could until I hit them pretty hard for a night or 2 after the normal play time.

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #663 of 1,026
i tried the large stock tips and i like the sound

i think these babies need a lot of hours in order to adjust fully sonic-wise

at one point  was thinking of selling them and keeping only my re-272

now i feel like keeping both, as they are both excellent iems and coplement each other very nicely

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #664 of 1,026
Ordered these from Amazon.jp last week (~$170).. with the Tenso.com forwarding service (~$20), they'll be at my doorstep for a shade under ~$200.. which is a pretty good deal, if I might say so.  I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #665 of 1,026

Quote:
Ordered these from Amazon.jp last week (~$170).. with the Tenso.com forwarding service (~$20), they'll be at my doorstep for a shade under ~$200.. which is a pretty good deal, if I might say so.  I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Wow!!  Great deal! I was unaware. These things start to open up at about 100 hours. Critical not to judge until you start to reach this mark. They are just a little congested at the get go. If I didn't have my friends used pair to start with, I would have probably sold my new pair within a week. Man you're getting these shipped pretty fast too

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #666 of 1,026
:
Wow!!  Great deal! I was unaware. These things start to open up at about 100 hours. Critical not to judge until you start to reach this mark. They are just a little congested at the get go. If I didn't have my friends used pair to start with, I would have probably sold my new pair within a week. Man you're getting these shipped pretty fast too

Thanks for the heads up!  For those interested, there are still some left at 13,300 yen (~$170) from the Amazon.jp marketplace reseller, JoshinWeb (where I purchased mine from).  They seem quite reputable.. I got an email from Tenso stating my package has already shipped to the US.. which is insane considering the holidays & all.  I was a little apprehensive having to go through a couple of extra hoops to get these but the price was just too good &  after so far, I'm very happy with the entire buying experience through Amazon.jp & Tenso.  It's cake.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #667 of 1,026
Picked up the e-Q5 from the PO today...  JoshinWeb (vendor) & Tenso.com (forwarding/shipping service) was FANTASTIC.  I highly recommend using them.. everything, from ordering payment to delivery,  was very very smooth.  Just have a translator app/extension/plugin handy. They actually arrived on Friday (but I wasn't home to sign for them).

I'm letting them burn in as we speak but my brief impressions of them OOTB: I'm very impressed & certainly quite satisfied with the sound so far.  I researched them quite a bit before buying.. and now that I have them in my ears, they sound exactly like I expected them to (a credit to the some of the great ears here at HeadFi).  They share a fair bit of common ground with the DBA.. the e-Q5 has much better dynamic range, a slightly wider & (but noticeably) deeper soundstage, and better imaging.  The e-Q5's bass sounds more natural (tonality & decay) while extending deeper and possessing more presence.  Notes feel more naturally weighted on the e-Q5, too.  It isn't quite as sparkly up top as the DBA's treble.. the difference is quite small & negligible, IMO.  The e-Q5's treble is every bit as engaging and impressive as the DBA's treble is though.  What I really enjoy is its very lively sound (much like the FXT & RE262).  The DBA sounds lively cause of its aggressive tuning while the e-Q5 sounds lively due to better dynamic range and depth.

These sound like a more refined, robust, natural sounding, dynamic driver reincarnate of the DBA-02.. while maintaining the impressive speed & resolution a BA affords.  I'll have more impressions after they burn in a good amount.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #668 of 1,026

Quote:
Picked up the e-Q5 from the PO today...  JoshinWeb (vendor) & Tenso.com (forwarding/shipping service) was FANTASTIC.  I highly recommend using them.. everything, from ordering payment to delivery,  was very very smooth.  Just have a translator app/extension/plugin handy. They actually arrived on Friday (but I wasn't home to sign for them).

I'm letting them burn in as we speak but my brief impressions of them OOTB: I'm very impressed & certainly quite satisfied with the sound so far.  I researched them quite a bit before buying.. and now that I have them in my ears, they sound exactly like I expected them to (a credit to the some of the great ears here at HeadFi).  They share a fair bit of common ground with the DBA.. the e-Q5 has much better dynamic range, a slightly wider & (but noticeably) deeper soundstage, and better imaging.  The e-Q5's bass sounds more natural (tonality & decay) while extending deeper and possessing more presence.  Notes feel more naturally weighted on the e-Q5, too.  It isn't quite as sparkly up top as the DBA's treble.. the difference is quite small & negligible, IMO.  The e-Q5's treble is every bit as engaging and impressive as the DBA's treble is though.  What I really enjoy is its very lively sound (much like the FXT & RE262).  The DBA sounds lively cause of its aggressive tuning while the e-Q5 sounds lively due to better dynamic range and depth.

These sound like a more refined, robust, natural sounding, dynamic driver reincarnate of the DBA-02.. while maintaining the impressive speed & resolution a BA affords.  I'll have more impressions after they burn in a good amount.

Congrats!!! Now make sure you tell Eric and Shotgun to stretch their wallets too!!

deadhorse.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #669 of 1,026

Congrats!!! Now make sure you tell Eric and Shotgun to stretch their wallets too!!

deadhorse.gif

HA!  They might be to Shane's liking more than Eric's (he didn't like the DBA, at all).

I like the e-Q5's texturing.. as others have said, they strike that unique ground between a dynamic & BA.  They're very natural, impressively transparent sounding phones.. there is a slight emphasis in the upper midrange/lower treble tuning but no sibilance or fatigue to speak of.. I'm also really impressed by how even handed the mids sound.. natural, not too thick or thin, quite neutral, clear, & detailed.. and very musical.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #670 of 1,026

Quote:
HA!  They might be to Shane's liking more than Eric's (he didn't like the DBA, at all).

I like the e-Q5's texturing.. as others have said, they strike that unique ground between a dynamic & BA.  They're very natural, impressively transparent sounding phones.. there is a slight emphasis in the upper midrange/lower treble tuning but no sibilance or fatigue to speak of.. I'm also really impressed by how even handed the mids sound.. natural, not too thick or thin, quite neutral, clear, & detailed.. and very musical.

The Upper Mids Smooth Considerably around 100+ hours, also Bass becomes more defined, along with more air throughout.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #671 of 1,026
The Upper Mids Smooth Considerably around 100+ hours, also Bass becomes more defined, along with more air throughout.

That's very good to keep in mind.. and exactly what I wanted to hear (pun unintended).  I sense a slight bump up in the lower midrange area (above the mid/upper bass, though) that's seemingly adding some very slight warmth to male vocals.  That upper midrange/lower treble spike is the only thing holding back what could be some very impressive balance and control through the mids & treble.  Knowing that (in time) will be tamed is good news.

With those two things aside, the midrange's tonality & balance on these actually remind me of the Miracle in some ways.. not on that level, technically, but the presentation there feels like they could be distant cousins.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #672 of 1,026

Quote:

That's very good to keep in mind.. and exactly what I wanted to hear (pun unintended).  I sense a slight bump up in the lower midrange area (above the mid/upper bass, though) that's seemingly adding some very slight warmth to male vocals.  That upper midrange/lower treble spike is the only thing holding back what could be some very impressive balance and control through the mids & treble.  Knowing that (in time) will be tamed is good news.

With those two things aside, the midrange's tonality & balance on these actually remind me of the Miracle in some ways.. not on that level, technically, but the presentation there feels like they could be distant cousins.

Also I switch from Sony hybrids to the Ortofon Original stocks. I like both, but I like the Ortofons better, especially for the highs

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #673 of 1,026
Quote:
Also I switch from Sony hybrids to the Ortofon Original stocks. I like both, but I like the Ortofons better, especially for the highs

Did you shorten the hybrid's stem? I found that if you cut off half of it, they'll retain slightly more bass than the stock tips and sound equally good in treble. Plus, I can get a deeper fit this way.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #674 of 1,026
No I was unaware. I can't wait to try this

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #675 of 1,026

Quote:
Did you shorten the hybrid's stem? I found that if you cut off half of it, they'll retain slightly more bass than the stock tips and sound equally good in treble. Plus, I can get a deeper fit this way.

Great Suggestion King James!!. Cutting the hybrid stem  in half is perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back