Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #226 of 1,026

Quote:
The best price I've seen for these is 18400 yen, which is about $220. So under $250 should be doable.

Where did you see them for 18400 yen/220 $?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyway, it's a good thing you'll get an opportunity to audition the e-Q7, so there's no more need for experimenting with AAA batteries.

I easily managed to insert an AAA battery 5-6 mm deep into my ear. I don't know if that would be enough though...

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #227 of 1,026
I easily managed to insert an AAA battery 5-6 mm deep into my ear. I don't know if that would be enough though...

I couldn't stop laughing when I read this! Head-fi has made us resort to sitting at our desks sticking AAA batteries into our ears! If I told any of my friends this they would think I became a psychopath 
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #228 of 1,026

Quote:

Quote:
The best price I've seen for these is 18400 yen, which is about $220. So under $250 should be doable.

Where did you see them for 18400 yen/220 $?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyway, it's a good thing you'll get an opportunity to audition the e-Q7, so there's no more need for experimenting with AAA batteries.

Dekimasu is in Japan so he is talking about price you can get e-Q5 if you live in japan which is always lower then the cost we pay outside Japan. Well, not that much lower then Dimitri's deal of the month on e-Q5..

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #229 of 1,026

Quote:

I couldn't stop laughing when I read this! Head-fi has made us resort to sitting at our desks sticking AAA batteries into our ears! If I told any of my friends this they would think I became a psychopath 
tongue.gif

I already told a few friends I did that and they gave me the usual "are you crazy" stare
ksc75smile.gif
  Heck they don't even consider it sane sticking an IEM inside one's ear or spending a few hundreds on earphones, too, for that matter! Well they can laugh their asses to death, they'll never know what an eargasm is...

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #231 of 1,026

Quote:
^ I stuck a pair of AAA batteries into my ears and I swear they had more bass than the RE0!
tongue.gif

Do you think the AAA's will perform better amp'd?  Will my Clip+ drive them well? 
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #234 of 1,026
Dec 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #235 of 1,026
Quote:

In one of the e-Q7 threads (the one in which CK10 has been dicussed more thoroughly than the e-Q7 somehow) a few members mentioned the e-Q7 has a bump in the 5-6 khz area.

Take a look at Here, and posts 463 and 465 on the same page; and here, and post 485 on the same page... 

I wonder if the bump mentioned also exists in the e-Q5?

Those links are not working for me, donno why. But for what it worth, e-Q5 has smoother vocal (where the bump is) than e-Q7.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #236 of 1,026

Quote:
Quote:

In one of the e-Q7 threads (the one in which CK10 has been dicussed more thoroughly than the e-Q7 somehow) a few members mentioned the e-Q7 has a bump in the 5-6 khz area.

Take a look at Here, and posts 463 and 465 on the same page; and here, and post 485 on the same page... 

I wonder if the bump mentioned also exists in the e-Q5?

Those links are not working for me, donno why. But for what it worth, e-Q5 has smoother vocal (where the bump is) than e-Q7.

I edited the links ClieOS. They should work now.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #237 of 1,026
In half an hour--Christmas in Japan--I'll have my new e-Q5s (17900 yen). They were sitting right between the Grado GR-10 (33800 yen) and the e-Q7 (19900 yen) when I tried them out, and in the end I really thought they sounded the best of the three. Much easier to get a good seal than with the e-Q7 (angle of my ear canal made it somewhat difficult before), and sound quality and detail just as good. Mids a little more forward than in the Grado; conversely, highs weren't quite as persistent. I had the most trouble deciding on a color--silver or red--but ended up going for the silver. Now just have to find a respectable case....

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #238 of 1,026

Quote:
In half an hour--Christmas in Japan--I'll have my new e-Q5s (17900 yen). They were sitting right between the Grado GR-10 (33800 yen) and the e-Q7 (19900 yen) when I tried them out, and in the end I really thought they sounded the best of the three. Much easier to get a good seal than with the e-Q7 (angle of my ear canal made it somewhat difficult before), and sound quality and detail just as good. Mids a little more forward than in the Grado; conversely, highs weren't quite as persistent. I had the most trouble deciding on a color--silver or red--but ended up going for the silver. Now just have to find a respectable case....

Congratulations!

How would you compare the mids and highs of the e-Q5 to e-Q7? I know you had only a short time comparing them, but other than the seal, what diffarences did you notice between them? Or what made you decide on e-Q5, rather than the e-Q7, other than the lower price and the ease of getting a seal?

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #239 of 1,026

Quote:
Congratulations!

How would you compare the mids and highs of the e-Q5 to e-Q7? I know you had only a short time comparing them, but other than the seal, what diffarences did you notice between them? Or what made you decide on e-Q5, rather than the e-Q7, other than the lower price and the ease of getting a seal?

This was my first time getting to put the e-Q5 in my ears, but I've had quite a bit of time with the e-Q7 in general. I didn't feel that there were any significant differences between the two. That's not to say that they were exactly the same, but it's like looking at two similar TVs; when they're right next to each other you can tell the difference, but once you get home you just think about how great the picture looks, no matter which one you chose.* The mids may be slightly fuller on the e-Q7, the e-Q5 slightly more balanced/flat. I really think the innards might be the same. The cable on the e-Q5 is significantly better--very little memory, and hard to see where there's going to be any stress. However, there's still a lot of noise from the cable (and no clip included). Separation and sound stage are comparable. Perhaps someone with more practice could give you more differences, but I really don't feel it's necessary to search for them in this case.

Price wasn't the biggest factor. I would have gotten the e-Q7 if I thought the sound quality from them was even 1% better than the sound quality of the e-Q5.

*Not dissing the pictures in james444's thread. I think those were a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back