Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #211 of 1,026

Quote:
So would you keep the e-Q5 and give away the e-Q7 if you were forced to choose? (I just mean SQwise; let's not consider the case and the cables in this decision.)
If SQ is the only concern, I'll probably pick e-Q5.

The main difference, from what I gather, is that e-Q5 is less mid-centric, a tad more bassy and has more treble. Is this correct?
Yes, less mid centric, slightly more extension on both ends.

First I was considering the e-Q7 and I was worried about the mid-centricness of it, as I'm looking for a new IEM to replace/compliment my SM3s that focus thickly on the midranges. Now I'm considering the e-Q5 and I'm now worried about its enhanced treble. What do you think? Would you call these phones more neutral than the SM3?

Also, ClieOS, if you've heard the SM3 how would you compare it to the e-Q5/e-Q7?
I have not listen to SM3 before, so no comment on that part. To say e-Q5 has more treble extension is not to say e-Q5 has more quantity of it, but more quality of it. It is actually smoother than e-Q7 yet more noticeable because e-Q5 is more transparent in comparison.

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #212 of 1,026
I concur with ClieOS in picking the e-Q5 over the e-Q7 for SQ alone. But I also think that the difference is a slight one.
As for the GR10, they're due to arrive within the next few days. I'm really really curious about that comparison.
popcorn.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #213 of 1,026
I can only look on the E-Q5's with a vague sense of longing. Since the A1's are described as so similar, it would be extremely silly of me to buy something that would overlap with what I already have - even though the build and the better isolation do appeal to me.

I'm off to Hong Kong in a few days though, so I'm wondering if there is any place I could audition these (and any other earphones...)

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #214 of 1,026
I agree. This thread makes me want the e-Q5 even though if the e-Q7 is just as big as the e-Q5 it wouldn't fit me well and the fact that no top tier universal will get used much in my current collection. Curse you all..and I wish I could try them out in at store at least but sadly no shop here will sell them let alone demo it.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #215 of 1,026
Did my best to review these (First time in Audio Hi-Fi)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ortofon-e-q5/reviews#4546

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #217 of 1,026

Quote:
Quote:

Where did you get them for 249 $? It's 288 $ at musicacoustica...

Email Dimitrys at Musicaacoustics  directly for Headfi promotional offer. I posted this info on the forum lol...

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #218 of 1,026

Quote:
I concur with ClieOS in picking the e-Q5 over the e-Q7 for SQ alone. But I also think that the difference is a slight one.
As for the GR10, they're due to arrive within the next few days. I'm really really curious about that comparison.
popcorn.gif

James, I know I bothered you with too many questions recently, but I have to ask... How would you compare the SM3 to the e-Q5? I love all the aspects of the SM3 except its thick, overpowering, aggressive mids. So I guess I would expect to find such great qualities in my next IEM, which may be e-Q5... So a direct comparison between the two would mean a lot...

Also, I'm using the Sensorcom double flanges with my SM3. The diameter of the second flange is about 1.2 cm, but they are made of silicon and can be pushed easily into the ear canal. From the look of it, I can tell the tip of the e-Q5 is made of some hard material. 9 mm is a bit scary... Could you please compare the materials and the insertion styles of the SM3 and the e-Q5?

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #219 of 1,026

Quote:
Quote:

Where did you get them for 249 $? It's 288 $ at musicacoustica...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yello131

/img/forum/go_quote.gifEmail Dimitrys at Musicaacoustics  directly for Headfi promotional offer. I posted this info on the forum lol...

Is this also true? (Quoting from the musicaacoustics.com)"Shipping → free worldwide standard shipping" . Did you get the e-Q5 for 249 $ including the international shipping?

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #220 of 1,026
^
Yup. The shipping was free and it came 6 days after I placed my order.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #221 of 1,026
The best price I've seen for these is 18400 yen, which is about $220. So under $250 should be doable.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #222 of 1,026
Quote:
James, I know I bothered you with too many questions recently, but I have to ask... How would you compare the SM3 to the e-Q5? I love all the aspects of the SM3 except its thick, overpowering, aggressive mids. So I guess I would expect to find such great qualities in my next IEM, which may be e-Q5... So a direct comparison between the two would mean a lot...

Also, I'm using the Sensorcom double flanges with my SM3. The diameter of the second flange is about 1.2 cm, but they are made of silicon and can be pushed easily into the ear canal. From the look of it, I can tell the tip of the e-Q5 is made of some hard material. 9 mm is a bit scary... Could you please compare the materials and the insertion styles of the SM3 and the e-Q5?

The SM3 are highly refined and smooth sounding IEMs with great extension on both ends of the FR-range, excellent resolution and pretty realistic timbre for BA-based phones. They could well be my favourite IEMs, but their overpowering in-your-face mids and their odd all-around-your-head soundstage are deal-brakers in my book. Back in the SM3 thread I wrote that I felt like sitting in the middle of a large concert hall with the IE8, like front row with the e-Q7 and like standing nose-to-nose on stage with the singer whenever I put on the SM3.

The e-Q5 on the other hand are a tad better refined than the e-Q7, but I'd think they'd still fall slightly short of the SM3. Judging from memory, the SM3 have a bit more micro-detail, but at the same time a slight veil that makes them less transparent than the Ortofons. The e-Q5 on the other hand are extremely crisp and clear across the whole frequency range and much more transparent than the SM3 to my ears. They're a bit short of the SM3 in bass extension as they don't do much below 30Hz, but I'd rate them at least equal if not better in bass texture. For timbre I'd also give the nod to the Ortofons, though the SM3 aren't much worse.

Soundstage-wise it's no comparison, I don't care whether the SM3 might be a bit wider or deeper or whatever, I just can't stand instruments playing from behind my head when listening to a live recording. IMO epic fail for the SM3, period.

Regarding fit, the e-Q5 stock tips are very soft silicons, but you're right insertion may be a concern with smaller ears. ClieOS likened the housing shape to an AAA battery and he's right as these are about 9mm in diameter. So if you're unable to insert the top of an AAA battery into your ear canal opening, you may only have a very shallow seal with the Ortofons. I'm able to insert about 10mm and have no problem fitting the e-Q5.

Hope this helps with your decision!
smile_phones.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #223 of 1,026

Quote:
Quote:

The SM3 are highly refined and smooth sounding IEMs with great extension on both ends of the FR-range, excellent resolution and pretty realistic timbre for BA-based phones. They could well be my favourite IEMs, but their overpowering in-your-face mids and their odd all-around-your-head soundstage are deal-brakers in my book. Back in the SM3 thread I wrote that I felt like sitting in the middle of a large concert hall with the IE8, like front row with the e-Q7 and like standing nose-to-nose on stage with the singer whenever I put on the SM3.

The e-Q5 on the other hand are a tad better refined than the e-Q7, but I'd think they'd still fall slightly short of the SM3. Judging from memory, the SM3 have a bit more micro-detail, but at the same time a slight veil that makes them less transparent than the Ortofons. The e-Q5 on the other hand are extremely crisp and clear across the whole frequency range and much more transparent than the SM3 to my ears. They're a bit short of the SM3 in bass extension as they don't do much below 30Hz, but I'd rate them at least equal if not better in bass texture. For timbre I'd also give the nod to the Ortofons, though the SM3 aren't much worse.

Soundstage-wise it's no comparison, I don't care whether the SM3 might be a bit wider or deeper or whatever, I just can't stand instruments playing from behind my head when listening to a live recording. IMO epic fail for the SM3, period.

Regarding fit, the e-Q5 stock tips are very soft silicons, but you're right insertion may be a concern with smaller ears. ClieOS likened the housing shape to an AAA battery and he's right as these are about 9mm in diameter. So if you're unable to insert the top of an AAA battery into your ear canal opening, you may only have a very shallow seal with the Ortofons. I'm able to insert about 10mm and have no problem fitting the e-Q5.

Hope this helps with your decision!
smile_phones.gif

Wow! You said SM3s could well be your favourite IEMs but the rest of your review made the e-Q5s shine more than the SM3s. I am convinced about placing my order right away after reading your comparison above, because it was so important for me to hear the opinions of someone who not only have used both phones, but who is also aware of and dislikes the midrange-flaw of the SM3s, like myself; otherwise it would be an SM3 fan comparing the two IEMs and you know fanaticism blinds people. I will not place my order right away, because fortuantely I found an e-Q7 owner in the forum who lives in my city and we'll meet next week for an audition.  

When I get home I'll try to stick an AAA battery into my ear 
basshead.gif
, but to be able to get an understanding of the e-Q5 insertion how much of the battery should be inserted into the ear? What a lousy question... I know...

You've been very helpful. Thanks. And regards.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #224 of 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurglys0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow! You said SM3s could well be your favourite IEMs but the rest of your review made the e-Q5s shine more than the SM3s...

Well, yes I realize that. The thing is I really liked them apart from these two flaws. That's why I still rate them about equal to the Ortofons in my sig, because they did so many other things right. But I had them for several weeks and never managed to get used to their mids and soundstage, it's a pity.

Anyway, it's a good thing you'll get an opportunity to audition the e-Q7, so there's no more need for experimenting with AAA batteries. If you feel comfortable about the e-Q7 you'll most likely have no problems with the e-Q5. Just a word of caution, make sure you get a good seal before judging the e-Q7. I know of several folks who thought the Ortofons were lacking bass (including myself at first), because their stock tips can lead you to believe you have a good seal when you haven't. In short, if you think they're bass-light, recheck your seal.

Btw, I should have the GR10 here by end of the week, so we'll soon know how these compare to the others.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #225 of 1,026

Quote:
Btw, I should have the GR10 here by end of the week, so we'll soon know how these compare to the others.

Thank you so much for taking the time... I'm looking forward to reading your GR10 impressions; hopefully before I pull the trigger on the e-Q5 you will have compared the two and and maybe some other IEMs.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back