Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #21,781 of 27,137
Quote:
rabib91 ask and ye shall receive.

I got these awesome things in a still ongoing materials swap/trade marathon :)

from another generous member in here. I have been stashing them to use on the ultimate mod which is ongoing, and somehow keeps changing, so a side by side shot here.
Sennheisers are on the left and come with that foam insert seen below.
" Gel Ear pads for Series HME 100/ HME 300/ HME 400 "
You know I would almost think I was BS'ing you myself
ph34r.gif
but it so happens yes i actually have them.

BMF let me look for some "Pirate treasure" biscuits, I might have a couple from a STAX SR-40. Will message if so. alternately I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the stuff people were calling deteriorated foam in the Audio Technica mods, I think in the ESW9 lineup or similar. Could be worth looking into

Quote:
rabib91 ask and ye shall receive.

I got these awesome things in a still ongoing materials swap/trade marathon :)

from another generous member in here. I have been stashing them to use on the ultimate mod which is ongoing, and somehow keeps changing, so a side by side shot here.
Sennheisers are on the left and come with that foam insert seen below.
" Gel Ear pads for Series HME 100/ HME 300/ HME 400 "
You know I would almost think I was BS'ing you myself
ph34r.gif
but it so happens yes i actually have them.

BMF let me look for some "Pirate treasure" biscuits, I might have a couple from a STAX SR-40. Will message if so. alternately I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the stuff people were calling deteriorated foam in the Audio Technica mods, I think in the ESW9 lineup or similar. Could be worth looking into

Thank you dear sir. Those Sennheiser pads seem like they have a better chance of fitting on a round wooden baffle.I'll have to order me some of these. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #21,783 of 27,137
Does anyone have an extra pair of orthos they'd be willing to sell me? My only pair of HP-1 have a broken frame and band -_-

There are a few on fleabay and the likes. Prices... Well better than when I bought them anyway.
Jut don't throw yours away because the frames are broken though, you may be able to fix them or transplant the drivers.
Care to post a picture of how badly broken yours is? The cloth/plastic headband is easy to replace.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #21,784 of 27,137
Quote:
There are a few on fleabay and the likes. Prices... Well better than when I bought them anyway.
Jut don't throw yours away because the frames are broken though, you may be able to fix them or transplant the drivers.
Care to post a picture of how badly broken yours is? The cloth/plastic headband is easy to replace.

I was thinking about transplanting but I honestly don't know where to begin. Any pointers or ideas?

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #21,785 of 27,137
ESmooth frames (low cost woodies from China)?

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #21,789 of 27,137
Sorry, omitted the link:

http://www.woodheadphones.com/

I don't know for sure if the drivers will fit, but it looks as though they might.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #21,791 of 27,137
I believe at least one DIYer has used fake ESW9 frames...

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #21,793 of 27,137
Quote:
I was thinking about transplanting but I honestly don't know where to begin. Any pointers or ideas?

The headband part is really easy. If you want to conserve this headband, you can always just use a bit of electric tape over the broken plastic part. It won't looks as obvious.
Otherwise, cut out some cloth/leather/anything in a similar shape and replace the original one. You just remove two screws on each slider, and you can remove/replace it. It won't feel the same though.
Even if you don't replace it, you can still wear it this way.

As for the frame... wow, I see what you mean now. I think you can manage with making a splint for it, and put it together with hot glue and duct/electric tape.

If you want to transplant, there is one thing you need to be sure of: The HP/YH-1's have a very large driver--55mm? But then you also get the connector that sticks out of it on one side for about 3~5mm. While the effective region of the driver might not span 55mm but you'll need a enclosure that originally housed a decently large driver. Just to increase your chances of being able to transplant without having to rework too much parts such as the baffle or the cups. ESMOOTH has many 50mm driver headphones and should hopefully be alright. I haven't ended up buying out yet so I can't say for sure... but ideally you should look for enclosures at least initially housing 40mm drivers or larger. 70mm driver headphones may end up a little too big... maybe not, depends on the designs used.
I remember DealExtreme (www.dx.com I think?) had some ESMOOTH lookalikes but I don't know if they're still available.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #21,795 of 27,137
I should explain that I don't have the capability of making my own parts (cup, baffle, anything) so when I salvage, I need something I can work with in elimination processes. i.e. I can cut but not fill.

Not sure about the AKG K141 but I know I did open a K271 for use as fosterphone and... it wasn't all that pretty to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back