Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #18,586 of 27,141
Hi there, tell me something about 

PMB 6 II from PEERLESS.

how much are worth the ones from pics? hyh guys? :)

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #18,587 of 27,141
I'll add that I've been listening to the the PMB-100 with nothing damping the driver. Being as open as a cheese grater all around the headphone gives a very airy sound, and the looser bass helped boost the low end. Unfortunately, the bass is kind of that one-note cardboard box bass, and can only imagine that in a more optimum enclosure the bass would be much better. Still, it's surprising how well the driver does perform in what is, in the case of the PMB-100, a completely open design. Some acoustic music sounds just great. Unfortunately, I still have a small rattle that sounds mechanical on one side of the headphones; I need to hunt that down. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #18,588 of 27,141

Quote:
Hi there, tell me something about 

PMB 6 II from PEERLESS.

how much are worth the ones from pics? hyh guys? :)

Cool find! Is that your headphone? I have never seen one of those, and I have no idea how it sounds. With some luck, it has the small PMB orthodynamic driver.
Could you take those pads off so that we can see maybe a bit of the driver and what the baffle looks like? 
Where does it say PMB-6 II?

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #18,589 of 27,141
heh, i cqan buy it for 35bucks/ dunno if it is woth to go into it,  i'll see if the owner can take a pic of a driver.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #18,590 of 27,141

Quote:
heh, i cqan buy it for 35bucks/ dunno if it is woth to go into it,  i'll see if the owner can take a pic of a driver.

It might be worth it - but it is a gamble since so few have heard about it. The smaller PMB driver headphones apparently are even less common than the larger driver ones. The PMB-6 should be orthodynamic, but I have never heard about a PMB-6 version II.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #18,591 of 27,141
we'll see i have sent a question to owner. and a request for the picture of the driver behind the plastic part with holes :wink: [ dunno what the name for it is]

i think there is a name, on the material headband:

i think it's the one that appear on wiki pages: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=PMB_6

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #18,592 of 27,141
Cool! Never noticed that one before. I too am going to bet that inside we'll find the smaller driver that shows up in the HOK 80 and Goodmans OHP-10.

And I'd love to know whether that driver was produced in the former East Germany.

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #18,593 of 27,141

Quote:
we'll see i have sent a question to owner. and a request for the picture of the driver behind the plastic part with holes :wink: [ dunno what the name for it is]

i think there is a name, on the material headband:

i think it's the one that appear on wiki pages: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=PMB_6

Well, that clearly says Orthodynamic. There is no real need for driver pictures then. I think it could be a fun thing to buy. The ancient review on the wiki says it's comfortable :)

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #18,594 of 27,141
It has the open style pads that Wualta likes. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #18,595 of 27,141
im wonderin' what is the diameter of the pmb driver inside them. anyone got some pictures of it? what is probably bass response? anywhere near telefunken th700? or maybe SFI kind of ?

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #18,596 of 27,141
Quote:
im wonderin' what is the diameter of the pmb driver inside them. anyone got some pictures of it? what is probably bass response? anywhere near telefunken th700? or maybe SFI kind of ?

Nobody here has heard a pair to know I think. If you dont wish to buy for $35 would you be willing to help someone else on the ortho threadto buy them? Would be interesting to get it all fully catalogued at least, and im sure someone would be interested at that price.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #18,597 of 27,141
if no one will bid up the price, i think i can get them. I am curious to hear them, as my past orthos, Telefunkens went to You Kabeer.. How's them? any good pair of orthos, i also saw a youtube orthos comparision with TH700 on some audio-headphones youtube chanell/

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #18,598 of 27,141
Quote:
if no one will bid up the price, i think i can get them. I am curious to hear them, as my past orthos, Telefunkens went to You Kabeer.. How's them? any good pair of orthos, i also saw a youtube orthos comparision with TH700 on some audio-headphones youtube chanell/

The TH-700 belongs to dBel84 now, my memories of them are fading :). They were pretty good i remember, but I think maybe lacked some deep bass?

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #18,600 of 27,141
Quote:
I suggest you place a bookmark on this page of the roundup, for instructions about how to take it apart: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/780#post_3173771

Thanks, I'll be applying those instructions, which hopefully convert well to euro cents (though I might have some pre-euro pennies left). So – if I break a clip, am I in trouble acoustically, or do I just need to get creative in making the thing stay in place without the extra clip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back