Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #17,941 of 27,137
Thanks Rhythmdevils, I am slowly understanding what the different ways of layering, shape and sizing of the felt does to the sound, even though it is only craft felt. This is my first Ortho and 2nd headphones. So far I am loving it, much better than my HD25i-II in terms of soundstage, mids and tone. Though I feel in some songs, the vocals are a little too forward. The HD25 has more bass impact.

Ya I know some people say that Orthos have not much soundstage but this HP50A has better soundstage than my HD25, perhaps due to the sound leaking thru the vents.

I might head out today to shop for some better felt and will also try removing the 'white paper disc' to see if it affects the sound for me.. Cheers.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #17,942 of 27,137

Quote:
 I cut donut felt rings and placed one over the ear side of each baffle to cover the outer ring of holes and secured them in place with double sided tape.

Quote:
I did not install a felt donut on the ear side or any felt on the rear side of the SFI drivers. 

Ring, donut, Whichever, try removing it.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #17,943 of 27,137

Quote:

Ring, donut, Whichever, try removing it.

Ooops, ya got me!  LOL  I've had those things opened up too many times.  I forgot what I had done and what I might do next.  The last revision was without a ring, donut, or whatchamacallit.

Thanks for the help, wualta.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #17,948 of 27,137
I hear that 3 maidens were sacrificed to secure that abomination at the altar of "Orthoneus Supremus el Primo".
ph34r.gif

Hopefully, Kabeer likes the fruit of his unholy fascination.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #17,950 of 27,137
WOW I got my YH-2's today and they sound very very good. I love the signature of this ortho quite a bit. It's the best of any vintage headphone I have heard IMO. It has a much bigger soundstage, smoother sound, a lot more bass that is both tight and controlled while being punchy, and the mids are quite nice and are quite full, and the treble is nice and mellow. Quite nice indeed.

Now are there any good mods I can do to these?

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #17,951 of 27,137
Hey guys, I messaged the seller of the SFI's, and s/he said they're bipoles.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #17,952 of 27,137

Quote:
WOW I got my YH-2's today and they sound very very good. I love the signature...It's the best... ..much bigger soundstage, smoother sound, a lot more bass... tight and controlled.. punchy...mids are full... the treble is mellow... Quite nice indeed.

Now are there any good mods I can do to these?

Hee hee. Where else but on HF would you find a string of superlatives followed by that question? Emphasis added by yrs trly.

ZX, I was scanning your post to find what you didn't like about the YH-2 so we could zero in on the first necessary mod. Sadly, you like the 'phone, leaving us with no opening move. But verily I say to you that the day will come when you will whip the YH-2 off your head and mutter something like " What the #$% ? there's something wrong -- " Your ears will refuse to stay uneducated and they will start sending little alarm messages along with the music.

If you've been browsing in the thread, you'll have soaked up the idea that this type of headphone, typified by 'phones like the Yamaha HP/YH-2, is deceptive. Everything seems nice and smooth and harmless at first. Gradually, though, you become aware that this 'phone and others like it tend toward an overripe autumnal mellowness. That is, the bass is moderately underdamped and thus opaque and inarticulate. Luckily for us, a bass resonance can be tightened up with a simple shock absorber in the form of an acoustic resistance (say, some nice felt) pressed firmly against the back of the driver, often with a disc of stiff open-cell foam. Once the driver's main peccadillo is smoothed out, you can go about correcting other sins, eg the high reflectivity of the driver cups' interiors, which means either fiberglass or more felt or both. From there you can move on to joint-airtightness tweaks, earpad tweaks, enclosure-damping tweaks and yes, even cable tweaks. It's difficult to say where you'll end up. It mostly depends on how bothered you are by the various imperfections of a headphone driver trying to operate in an enclosure not entirely sympathetic to its needs.

In short, you've got to get mad. You need to stand up and yell at the YH-2 that you're fed up with now-obvious imperfections and you're not going to take it anymore. This won't happen during the honeymoon, which is the way of the world, so we'll wait until the nice wears off and you're ready to peel earpads back in anger.

Quote:
Hey guys, I messaged the seller of the SFI's, and s/he said they're bipoles.

If he/she knows what she/they're talking about, this is good news indeed. Which seller is it?

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #17,953 of 27,137
Sep 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #17,955 of 27,137

Quote:

Hmmm... As far as I know, the SZ-2T is an 8-ohm tweeter; I have a pair myself. But the photo looks right for the "bipole" version. So it's difficult to tell what they're really selling, not an uncommon eBay problem. If we could see a photo of the rear of the driver, we'd have a better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back