Orthodynamic Roundup
May 19, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #17,176 of 27,138

Quote:
is there anyone in here live in europe ( preferably UK) and have too much lambskin and thinking about sharing them? :) The last time I tried to buy from one website but they only sell per metre square and quite expensive.

I bought the high quality tanned sheepskin by japanese internet auction with about 30 dollars. I've repaired a lotta vintage headphones by using that skin. For usual users, the quality of the male sheep skin and the lamb's are the same. So, I recommend that you would buy the sheepskin in e-bay or somewhere cheaply.  

May 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #17,177 of 27,138

... and talking about SFI drivers... it would be nice to have all descriptions of sfiphones attempts in a separate thread. I tried to collect all the data about it on this thread and it is close to impossible even rummaging the thread in every possible way, Of course any other alternative way is suitable, like somebody having had collected all the data in all these years and willing to share his/her effort.

Wualta what do you think about it? 

----------------------

I second this!

May 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #17,178 of 27,138
Does anyone perchance have a frequency response chart of the T40v1? I didn't think to write down my thoughts on the original FR before I transplanted them into my PS500.

May 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #17,179 of 27,138

Quote:
Where did you get the SFI drivers?

Hey Armaegis, I bougth the 120 Ohms from this ebay seller and also getting a set of 32 Ohms from a very generous Head-Fi member.
wink_face.gif

For all of you that implanted and used the 120 Ohms version of the SFI can you please tell me if your drivers had holes on both side magnet? I bought bibole drivers but here's the diagram they post on the add:

How can these generate sound from the back?

EDIT:  I just properly read the posting online and it is mentioned that the back sside use the same front magnet. My bad sorry.

PRODUCT INFO

DRAWING COURTESY TLINE SPEAKERS
THIS UNIT HAS THE "FRONT MAGNET" STYLE ON BOTH THE FRONT AND REAR AS IT IS A BIPOLE

May 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #17,180 of 27,138

Quote:
Hey Armaegis, I bougth the 120 Ohms from this ebay seller and also getting a set of 32 Ohms from a very generous Head-Fi member.
wink_face.gif

For all of you that implanted and used the 120 Ohms version of the SFI can you please tell me if your drivers had holes on both side magnet? I bought bibole drivers but here's the diagram they post on the add:

How can these generate sound from the back?

theres holes in the back also

May 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #17,181 of 27,138
Ah, good, I'm glad you're getting the right ones for your project.  I think it will be interesting to hear some more comparisons between the two impedances.  I know that all of this was done years ago, but those of us who are new to these drivers need a chance to figure this stuff out as well.

As a side note, I'd be happy to contribute a bit as I've tried about 7 or 8 SFI transplants myself: a few successful, some less so.

May 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #17,182 of 27,138
Thanks Joel. I'll do my best to share my results while experiencing with the SFI drivers. I'm sure I will need all the wisdom that I can get from the valuable members like you.

May 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #17,183 of 27,138
Well I just got started on my SFI project, (I'll get some pics up later). On my first attempt I have made some very bassy cans. The sub extension is great! they will shake the Stantons cups nicely. I tried a car audio method of a sealed baffle and stuffed the cup tightly with poly fill. I'm impressed at this first go and am glad I got some sfi's to play with. (Note) I am currently working with the 32ohm flavor. Another note, this being said already, these things can take some power. Got em running out of my late 70's Sony STR-V5 and they take well past 2 o'clock on the dial. So far im impressed. Much better than the dated stantons paper cone drivers! So just a start impression from a noobies perspective.

May 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #17,185 of 27,138
I've four 32 ohm sfis. Is there anybody in UK willing to trade them for two 120 ohm?

Joelpearce, thanks for your offer to share your sfi wisdom. Can't wait for it.

GrandZechs, poly fill over here is the think you use to fill wall cracks. Surely it is not what you mean. What it is exactly? Pictures of the inside?

A

May 19, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #17,186 of 27,138

Quote:
I've four 32 ohm sfis. Is there anybody in UK willing to trade them for two 120 ohm?

GrandZechs, poly fill over here is the think you use to fill wall cracks. Surely it is not what you mean. What it is exactly? Pictures of the inside?

A

Im currently at work so i can't take a pic at the moment, poly fill is like pillow stuffing, not like feathers, think fake cobweb for halloween. I used it alot in custom car audio subwoofer boxes.

Link http://www.amazon.com/Acousta-Stuf-Polyfill-1-lb-Bag/dp/B0002ZPLDY

You can get it at a local fabric store usually.

And yes, a big Horray to Joelpearce for the sharing of knowlage!

May 19, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #17,187 of 27,138

I just realised my offer wasn't clear. I'm willing to exchange two of my 32 ohm sfi for two 120 ohm ones.

Quote:

A

May 19, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #17,188 of 27,138
Wanted you guys to know that I've completed my first measurements of DIY ortho's of Teejay and ontherivet's T50RP modded cans.

ontherrivet's cans measured spectacularly well, I think you guys are really onto something here. Nice work.

You can click the images for .pdf

ontherivet

Teejaay

I'd like to continue to measure DIY cans for you guys to help you out with some objective data as feedback for you on-going work.  I had a great time listening to these headphone and would love to do more of it. I am going to start a separate section on InnerFidelity's measurement download page for DIY headphones so you can find them more easily.

Please PM me and I'll be glad to measure them.

Also, to help make it even more worth your while to send them off, I'm running a contest. Not really supposed to put up links, but I'm sure you can find it.

May 19, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #17,189 of 27,138
Tyll, that's rilly cool. Thanks for offering to do this. I hope you get a lot of responses and collect a big pile of data that we can chew on for awhile. The big trick is always to get the listening results to correlate with the measurements, but the more measurements we have, the easier it'll be the find the connection. That's my gut feeling, at least. How's the repeatability of this setup so far? Can you measure a 'phone, pull it off, then measure it later and get the same or similar results?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back