Orthodynamic Roundup
May 11, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #17,116 of 27,137
I'm thinking I'll just try using a dabble of contact cement to secure the top driver. No need to use any on the bottom. Then just use some hotglue or bluetack to fix the driver assembly to the frame. This will make disassembly easier if I ever want to reverse everything. I've also got ZERO clearance on the inside. My housing actually touches the back of the cup and is too thick by maybe a millimeter. I can probably shave off a bit more with a knife, but I think I'll use this tight fit to my advantage to help secure the driver assembly in place so I don't have to go too heavy on the glue.

May 12, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #17,119 of 27,137
Yes, be careful if one of these comes up for auction and the photo doesn't show both sides. The T45 is a monaural headset with a boom mic. Typical T40-type earpads, though, or at least it looks that way.

May 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #17,120 of 27,137
All done. Full pictorial to come in a separate post when I have time to organize it. But for now... pics!

Minimal damping in the cups. See that slight line in the rightmost felt pad? That's where the driver assembly hits the cup.

driver in place with a bit of bluetak and prayer (wires not soldered yet)

poof, all done

Sounds good. Bass is about the same, mids more forward, treble down a bit.

May 13, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #17,121 of 27,137
I don't, of course, ever want to discourage the DIY attitude, but I have to admit in this case I feel a bit sorry for those Phiatons.

May 13, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #17,122 of 27,137
^Why? What's wrong ?

They look better than ever to me. 
tongue_smile.gif

May 13, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #17,123 of 27,137
Looks good Armaegis!
wink.gif
  But I'm with joelpearce about the Phiaton. Was something wrong with them?  I'm a cheap DYI I guest. I'm waiting for some 120 Ohms SFI and Kanen donor phone (New for $15).

May 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #17,125 of 27,137
Sadly, the drivers were already blown on my PS500
frown.gif
I had a 3-channel a20 amp going, but something twigged out on the ground channel and spiked the voltage and I literally smoked both drivers (voice coil melted and shifted, though technically they do still "work"). The really frustrating part is that I still can't fix the ground channel. It sometimes works, but the voltage offset has an uncontrolled drift which changes to a different stable spot every hour or so.

With the exception of a few scratches to the inner plastic though, the PS500 is mostly unchanged, so if I get new drivers I can always swap them out.

May 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #17,126 of 27,137
That makes me feel a lot better about it.  Man, I love the look of those headphones.  After the MS400, the PS500 are a pair I definitely need to own at some point.

Quote:
Sadly, the drivers were already blown on my PS500
frown.gif
I had a 3-channel a20 amp going, but something twigged out on the ground channel and spiked the voltage and I literally smoked both drivers (voice coil melted and shifted, though technically they do still "work"). The really frustrating part is that I still can't fix the ground channel. It sometimes works, but the voltage offset has an uncontrolled drift which changes to a different stable spot every hour or so.

With the exception of a few scratches to the inner plastic though, the PS500 is mostly unchanged, so if I get new drivers I can always swap them out.

May 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #17,127 of 27,137
They are arguably one of the most comfortable full sized headphones I've ever worn, hence the decision to make them the foster phones for the T40v1 drivers (either that or pop out the drivers from my Grado SR125).

May 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #17,130 of 27,137
Just thought i would try my luck as I do from time to time on this thread.  I am hoping to eventually find someone willing to sell me a yamaha yh-5m... anyone?

as far as i know there are only 1 or 2 head-fiers that even have these.. but it doesnt hurt to ask.   They've been a dream purchase of mine for quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back