Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #16,756 of 27,137

Quote:

do you plan to sell one pair ? maybe indonesian ortho need one of those...
biggrin.gif

Not so much planning on selling one as having come to the conclusion that the reason i haven't picked up the pair I'm experimenting with in a year is that it's uncomfortable. I'd settle for having one very comfortable pair, and if i can make that happen with a single transaction, that would be great.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #16,757 of 27,137
If things develop different, sell one to RD.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #16,758 of 27,137
How big are the cups? I might be able to make one out of some spare purpleheart I have. I won't be able to work on it until the summer though if you absolutely need it now. I can attempt to make some lambskin pads for them to make up for the wait.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #16,760 of 27,137

Quote:
How big are the cups? I might be able to make one out of some spare purpleheart I have. I won't be able to work on it until the summer though if you absolutely need it now. I can attempt to make some lambskin pads for them to make up for the wait.

Well, part of the plan is to stop using the original frame.

Unsure what I'd use instead. I do have a spare beyer frame but that may be a bit on the large side. And i always dreamed of mounting the sansui drivers in that.

I probably have a spare Koss HV-1 frame which would be cups about 3" diameter.

I'm dreaming of something Stax SR-X like in nature, perhaps not as completely open backed as the SR-X, but with a big screened vent back that i can then damp as hard or as soft as i like. Or perhaps just slots cut into the wood.

I believe the drivers are in the 70mm diameter range. I can check.

I'm not in a major hurry. Poor management decisions have made my springtime unreasonably busy.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #16,761 of 27,137
Cool! Just let me know when you've decided what kind of frame you're using. I'm probably going to have a lathe by summer if all goes well.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #16,763 of 27,137
 I've been meaning to post pics of my T20v1 and YH3 with holes drilled into the back of the cups.  I'm using O2 pads with the T20.

The holes didn't seem to effect the tone or FR of the YH3 much though it was hard to tell because it took so long to drill them.  But they definitely sound more open now, bigger soundstage and more air.  They still don't have a big soundstage by any means, but it did help and I can't see any negatives to the holes.  Bass seems to be about the same. 

The T20 wasn't so clearly a good thing.  It was interesting switching the same damping scheme between cup with holes and stock cup.  With the holey cup I noticed the same SS and airyness benefits as the YH3, but also the treble became a lot more natural  and smooth and I think the increased sense of air helped this.  Along with a better damping scheme, it also fixed the midrange peaks that were bothering me and I was really happy to be free of them.  When I took them to a meet a couple days later, everyone who listened to them remarked how beautiful the treble was, but that the bass was nonexistent and I realized they were right.  It's interesting how in damping you can get so focused on fixing one problem, that when it goes away you don't even notice a new problem that has been created.  At least not at first. 

I've lately been experimenting with memory foam.  In previous damping, I have really liked what the stock T20v2 foam does, and realized that the denser the foam the better it sounded.  Memory foam is the densest foam I could find locally (I got some "extra" pieces from a foam shop for 50 cents).  I'm currently damping the YH3 with nothing but some strips of this foam and it is the best they've sounded so far though I think they could be better if I could figure out how to cut the memory foam more evenly so I could use one large disc instead of a few strips.  Dense foam seems to do a good job getting rid of the upper midrange peak that was bothering me, but I haven't figured out how to use it in the T20 yet I think I need a thinner slice.  One interesting thing is that the holey back T20 sounds a bit resonant or something with just foam damping, and the stock cup does not.  A layer of felt between foam and cup fixes this with the holey back. 

So I need to figure out how to cut this foam in thin strips that are even but I'm not sure how to do that without proper tools.  Any ideas?  Best I've done so far is with a razor, but it's not great.  I was thinking of trying to use a ruler to keep the razor on a line drawn down the side of the foam chunk. 

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #16,764 of 27,137
RD, thanks for the impressions. I am really interested in the way of modding you've choosen - opening back side of the drivers as much as possible, so if you don't give it up I look forward for more :wink:.

BTW, is there any news about Warren Audio PM-1 progress? I've seen updated renders on wiki but can't see any other info. Do you know how's it going with the drivers? Any fully working prototypes?

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #16,765 of 27,137
I must say, since I recabled my NAD with Sommer cable (principally stiff CAT5 stuff), I have quite some issues with ummh...statical discharges (right expression?). Especially when I wear fleece, I get some low freq bangs when I touch the cable in the false moment. Today I had a very bad one after putting on my fleece and then plugging things in, I could really feel that discharge at my auricles, and the sound coming from the systems was really frightening. The systems don't seem to bother much about this though.

I just wonder if this is typical for the ortho principle or if it's just an issue with that special cable...

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #16,766 of 27,137

Quote:
I must say, since I recabled my NAD with Sommer cable (principally stiff CAT5 stuff), I have quite some issues with ummh...statical discharges (right expression?). Especially when I wear fleece, I get some low freq bangs when I touch the cable in the false moment. Today I had a very bad one after putting on my fleece and then plugging things in, I could really feel that discharge at my auricles, and the sound coming from the systems was really frightening. The systems don't seem to bother much about this though.

I just wonder if this is typical for the ortho principle or if it's just an issue with that special cable...

cat5 always sounded like a bad idea for cabling anything but ethernet, and even then solid cat5 is for installing inside conduit, walls, and ceiling. But whatever.

My YH-100 shocks me when the humidity is low. I think it has a lot to do with there being a big piece of metal right next to my ear.

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #16,767 of 27,137
During a transplant, I believe that I moved slightly the two pieces of magnets of one of my YH-1 drivers - I used some really strong double-sided tape to secure the drivers to the previous frame, and had to use great force to pull them out and perhaps grabbed the upper magnet too hard. Now the driver has quite some bass distortion. I tried to re-balance the two magnets by squeezing them left-and-right slightly, and some times that eliminated both the distortion and bass altogether. So I think that either the driver has been damages, or that I need to open it up to re-align the magnets and the diagram.

Does anyone know how to open up a YH-1 driver (or point me to the right place)? Any other suggestions? Anyone wants to part a YH-1 driver? 

Many thanks. 

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #16,768 of 27,137
I'm afraid you need a drill or something of comparable violence factor to open the middle rivet, and a rivet gun to reassamble it again.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #16,769 of 27,137

Quote:
I'm afraid you need a drill or something of comparable violence factor to open the middle rivet, and a rivet gun to reassamble it again.

Thanks. Does it look like that I have a mis-aligned/damaged driver? Or is there an easier way to remedy the situation?

Are there other ortho drivers that are of the same quality as YH-1s and are not as expansive? I do have another pair of ATH-2s, but I don't think that the drivers are as good. It's hard to find another pair of YH-1/HP-1, and they will certainly be expensive (~$100). The frame I am using is that of Vivanco SR1000, which is very much like K501 (round, open with metal mesh). 

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #16,770 of 27,137
To put it another way, regardless of their original respective housings, which ortho drivers provide comparable sound quality to those in  YH-1/HP-1's? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back