Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 10, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #16,066 of 27,138

Quote:
Not sure what spec's you're reading, but from what I can recall,they are in fact 50ohms impedance.

http://www.cdint.com/catalog/model/CC-SC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMC_connector

Personally, I'm not very fond of these connectors for headphone connection. They have to be highly modified to permit any cable with a larger diameter than 3mm, and they are designed for coaxial use. Not to mention I rather dislike the outer casing being used as a ground. if anything, the ground contact should be smaller than the signal (Eichmann has proven this to be true I believe).

Impedance and Resistance are two different things.

The numbers I'm referring to are the contact resistance.

Insertion loss is probably illustrative here too. SMC is rated 0.3db at 1.5ghz. Probably much less at 1khz.

I agree that the presupposition of coaxial cable is annoying, but have doubts about the ground vs. signal bit being an issue at these power levels.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #16,067 of 27,138

Quote:

Quote:
Not sure what spec's you're reading, but from what I can recall,they are in fact 50ohms impedance.

http://www.cdint.com/catalog/model/CC-SC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMC_connector

Personally, I'm not very fond of these connectors for headphone connection. They have to be highly modified to permit any cable with a larger diameter than 3mm, and they are designed for coaxial use. Not to mention I rather dislike the outer casing being used as a ground. if anything, the ground contact should be smaller than the signal (Eichmann has proven this to be true I believe).

Impedance and Resistance are two different things.

The numbers I'm referring to are the contact resistance.

Insertion loss is probably illustrative here too. SMC is rated 0.3db at 1.5ghz. Probably much less at 1khz.

I agree that the presupposition of coaxial cable is annoying, but have doubts about the ground vs. signal bit being an issue at these power levels.

Ahhh okay, well I'm getting a Tektronix DPO3034 Digital Storage Oscilloscope in a few days, so I'll make a point of checking the actual insertion loss :p

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #16,068 of 27,138
Heard a pair of Magnepan 1.7s yesterday late afternoon at the local dealer's palce. POwered by a big macintosh integrated and source fed from EMM labs and then Esoteric DV50.

Overall, not too bad..could use more height in the imaging as some instruments felt to low near the ground to me and for some vocals as well. Margo sounded phenomenal to me. Definitely has that midrange down. A bit sharp on some notes, but overall it didn't come off shrill one little bit, might in fact say it had reserved highs lol.

The bass was very decent, but i can see myself wanting to integrate a sub to it perhaps. It wasn't anywhere nearly as controlled as the audeze LCD-2. The presentation is very different of course from that of the LCD-2. 

AN interesting experience altogether as it was my first time listening to the magnepans. I plan on going back next weekend for an extended listen and comparision with the vandersteen 2CE to get a feel for the difference in presentation between the two technologies.

I am curious to know how and waht the differences are going from the 1.6 to the 1.7..why are people saying that the 1.6 sounds better?

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #16,069 of 27,138
wow..really..no one has anything to say about the magnepans?..to be fully honest i was fairly underwhelmed by them..could be down to  number of factors..but going to gie them another chance this weekend.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #16,070 of 27,138
I got my mother a pair of the old Monsoon computer speakers for Christmas and I thought they were amazing for the price.  In some ways, I thought they had better treble than my mackies, which cost about 30 times as much.  They sounded like the HE6 to be honest minus the bass.  But very similar gorgeous, clean treble.  Their weakness was not being very rich sounding, a bit lean and cold (like the HE6) and their attached sub was fairly flabby.   I felt like there was something missing between where the satellites started to roll off and where the subwoofer picked up, which probably contributed to the slight thin sound. 

I'd love to hear magnepans now if tiny cheapos can sound so good. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #16,072 of 27,138
I hope questions about electrets are acceptable in the ortho thread...

I've got an Audio-Technica ATH-7 coming soon. Can the ATH-7 transformer box be plugged into a T-amp that doesn't like its speaker channels bridged? (I assume that for sanity's sake they wouldn't have a box with a common ground if it's designed to be plugged into any random amplifier, but I don't know for sure.)

Also - are replacement pads (or reliable substitutes for the originals) available?

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #16,073 of 27,138

wow..really..no one has anything to say about the magnepans?..to be fully honest i was fairly underwhelmed by them..could be down to  number of factors..but going to gie them another chance this weekend.

I heard big Maggies a few years ago and was blown away, but I forget the model. I like them well enough I plan to DIY a set of hybrid 'stat / horns late this year or next year. Think Imperial horns with the 'stat on top like Martin Logans.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #16,074 of 27,138

Quote:
i might be wrong, but i think eminent technology was the OEM for monsoon..

You're close. Eminent Tech's website is surprisingly forthcoming about this: 

...Eminent Technology had developed a still smaller transducer [smaller than their own LFT-11] for a lower-cost computer speaker. The smaller transducer was licensed to Sonigistix Corporation in Vancouver...and...manufactured in Canada.   ...products [were] co-developed [by] Sonigistix and Eminent Technology [and] carried the Monsoon brand. A smaller planar-ribbon tweeter was created at Sonigistix and is used in Philips Consumer Electronics home theater in a box...  [my emphasis]

This text accompanies a photo of Monsoon's hated MM-700 system, the one with RDevil's flabby woofer. I'll say it again: The 700's woofer box is so bad that I begged a passing kid to take the whole system off my hands. The 702 is the model you want. 

I included the bit about the Philips tweeter because it really is good. Both ericj and I have cheap little Philips hometheaterinabox systems with these funny little speakers equipped with leaf ( = ortho) tweeters. Just outrageous.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/heildriver/Philipsleaftweeter.jpg

Eminent Tech also made Magneplanar killers, big dipole double-ended (ie, true push-pull, like your ortho headphones) speakers the size of doors. Since the magnet cost was doubled, I imagine they sounded great but were extremely expensive.

Fullrange dipoles in real rooms are.. y'know.. problematic.  Let's put it this way: They're for people who like to modify ortho headphones. You have to be willing to fool with them and be prepared for the unpredictability of  backwave energy in a room. You thought headphone cup design was fraught-- hoo whee! ...Which means your chances of liking a given Magneplanar that someone else has set up are low. Make that seller work for his money. Tell him to put on his work gloves and shift them babies while you listen.

Quote:
I hope questions about electrets are acceptable in the ortho thread...

I've got an Audio-Technica ATH-7 coming soon. Can the ATH-7 transformer box be plugged into a T-amp that doesn't like its speaker channels bridged? (I assume that for sanity's sake they wouldn't have a box with a common ground if it's designed to be plugged into any random amplifier, but I don't know for sure.)

Also - are replacement pads (or reliable substitutes for the originals) available?

I adopted electret-electrostatics into the ortho thread because Stat Snobs don't consider them "true" electrostats. So ask away. In this case, all I can tell you is I've got my Stax SRD-4 box wired up to my T-amp and the combo works fine. No funny smells. Replacement pads that are like the supple originals...? Those seem to be long gone. The replacement Stax SR-X pads will work in a pinch. Not quite the right size, but far better than nothing. On the other hand, though bass suffers, the cloth circles that are left when the old '70s pleather disintegrates are very comfy. I remain puzzled why pads identical to the original A-T and Stax pads can't be manufactured today. Those old pads were wonderful.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #16,075 of 27,138
I think the biggest limiting factor will be power.  The trafo boxes were really designed to be driven by 50W-100W receivers.  My 35W CR-620 drives my SRD-6 fine with the Lambdas, but all of my AT boxes seem to want a lot more power, they are all very quiet. 

As far as pads, the SR-X pads are horribly uncomfortable and off little actual padding.  Senn HD25 pleather pads, Koss R10 pads, or AT ESW-7/9 pads would be the best alternates.  I have an ATH-7 setup in it's box, but never pulled it out to test it yet.  I actually have two sets of the headphones, but only one energizer as I planned to recable the one set to Stax connectors with a SR-80 cable.  Maybe I need to dig it out and see how it fares on the CR-620...

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #16,076 of 27,138

Quote:
This text accompanies a photo of Monsoon's hated MM-700 system, the one with RDevil's flabby woofer. I'll say it again: The 700's woofer box is so bad that I begged a passing kid to take the whole system off my hands. The 702 is the model you want. 

Oh darn.  Well it still sounds really good for 35 bucks.  I think flabbyness in the basses is one of the easier things to live with, especially with speakers.  With headphones it can be a little more annoying probably because the flab is being flabbed right into your poor little ears.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #16,077 of 27,138

Quote:
RD, try a backwards reflex dot. You know, on the ear side.

I will henceforth call you the ortho whisperer. 

It really does work great.  But it feels like cheating for some reason.  I feel like I have to coax these suckers to bend to my will with internal damping.  But if all else fails, a dab of tak on the driver face I will use.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #16,078 of 27,138
Remember: It's not cheating if it has a real, official name like "phase plug". The trick is to beg borrow or steal that name from the discipline or mechanism where it really belongs and keep a straight face. I mean, after all, we've stolen "acutance" from photography without so much as an eye twitch, right? So chin up, carry on.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #16,079 of 27,138
RD: There are things you can do to add some "foundation" to the MM-700's sound. If the woofer output is weak, put it at the junction between wall and floor, or, if you can, stick it in a corner. At least move it around; inches count. If there's any leftover gain, you can tighten the bass by narrowing and/or extending the port or just throwing up your hands and plugging it entirely. A good software EQ for your soundcard will help immensely too.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #16,080 of 27,138

Quote:
Remember: It's not cheating if it has a real, official name like "phase plug". The trick is to beg borrow or steal that name from the discipline or mechanism where it really belongs and keep a straight face. I mean, after all, we've stolen "acutance" from photography without so much as an eye twitch, right? So chin up, carry on.

Ah, so if I draw a black line around my driver with a sharpie it will look and sound more sharp and less muddy or do I draw that thin line on the felt?  Wouldn't the reverse reflex dot be more like airbrushing the model's pic to maker her hotter?

o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back