Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #15,796 of 27,138
Those are some incredible hearing aids...
blink.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #15,797 of 27,138

Quote:
No no no, didn't you read the fine print?  he wasn't lying, he did infact hear things he'd never heard before, just, this was the first time he remembered to wear his hearing aids while listening....

Quote:
Those are some incredible hearing aids...
blink.gif

Funny stuff, guys. I can not think of a good comeback. But it sure is nice to get paid to listen to music and then say the same thing over and over again.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #15,798 of 27,138
Does this mean that a frozen wet blanket would make a killjoy diaphragm that's overly controlled, deeply repressed, with tapless toes, and hard to live with? 

[slight Atlanta drawl] Might could..

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #15,799 of 27,138

Quote:
So dampening the damping material will aid to dampen it further, but I suspect that a cryo treatment would increase unwanted reflections, as well as result in potential dissolution of the dampened damping material.

I once damped an ortho wit a dampened damping pad.

Worked great until it dried out.

(thin slice of Poly-vinyl-alcohol foam, fwiw)

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #15,802 of 27,138
I'm an engineer! Everything I say has more credibility! Especially when I use exclamation points!!!

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #15,803 of 27,138
This explains why the YH1000 drivers are so often corroded. Too bad your weren't there back then to point out the misunderstanding before they started the dampening of the YH1K.

Quote:
Damping: controlling the twitchy oscillatory motion of something
Dampening: Making something wet by throwing water on it

That's what I think of when I hear those terms, yet there's a whole potful of instances where the terms are used interchangeably, and on the Intarnette at least, dampening appears to be winning. Regardless, here on Head-Fi, the terms mean the same thing. We're controlling unwanted vibration, whether it's a diaphragm that's become overly eager at resonance, or a headphone enclosure that "sings" along with the music produced by said diaphragm.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #15,804 of 27,138
let me get this straight. 

If you are of a larger persuasion with diaphoretic tendencies, your listening experiences changes until maximum saturation occurs? ( maybe this is why yamaha vented most of their headphones )

just saying........dB 

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #15,805 of 27,138
An autogenous diaphoretic dampening damping scheme... I've got it! We'll hire a fitness guru to act as spokerperson and lead the clients through aerobic routines while wearing headphones. Lose weight and achieve audio nirvana simultaneously!

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #15,810 of 27,138

Quote:
Kinky scene indeed.  What is that all over the one on the right side in the middle?  
eek.gif

Looks like someone dropped their gummy worm. Nothing to get excited about...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back