Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 6, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #15,631 of 27,138
Sold some stuff and got a few CDs that matured
biggrin.gif
so I got LCD-2 as I was very curious.  Was listening for few days now. So far so good. Compares very favorably to all of my old orthodynamic headphones,  O2 and Ergo AMT still I think a a bit ahead in overall enjoyment, but these are really good phones and a good addition to various types of phones I got around.

I hope my pair does not have an issue with cracking of headband supports. I also have Stax ELS-F81 speakers coming in soon. Should be fun to compare these to other stuff I have around. My uncle who has them now basically said these are like huge headphones with amazing detail and very good soundstage, perfect for near-filed late night listening.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #15,632 of 27,138
Nickchen finally made it to join team vintage ortho
smile.gif
. Any other Krauts here?

1000 thanks and my warmest greetings to ....... (edited!) for being so kind to act as my figurehead on this US auction! You all know him, but I don't know if he wants to be named here...

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #15,636 of 27,138

Quote:
That may have been a record low price for a working set of T20v2. Good place to start the long journey down the Ortho Brick Road.

I think I have "deserved" that somewhat, after I got beaten in every damn Yamaha ortho auction for more than 6 months. The prices have gone nuts here, couldn't be bothered to spend 100€ for a HP1...

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #15,638 of 27,138

Quote:
That may have been a record low price for a working set of T20v2. Good place to start the long journey down the Ortho Brick Road.

T20v2 can be very good when modded. I am using my pair at work and have no desire to replace them with something else. Very solid combination of comfort, sound and rugged construction.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #15,640 of 27,138

Quote:
T20v2 can be very good when modded. I am using my pair at work and have no desire to replace them with something else. Very solid combination of comfort, sound and rugged construction.

I'm glad you found peace with an older Fostex. The sexy new one (the T50RP) gets all the attention, but the older ones have a certain unique charm. 

Nickchen-- eagerly awaiting your impressions, etc etc. It's good to have a ninja on your side, isn't it. Of course, you understand this means you have to return the favor [grumbles to self about @#$! wire transfers and deutsche post päckchens...].

Quote:
Hello !

I'm looking for some info about Audio Technica ATH-4 (frequency response, efficiency, general listening tests)

If anybody...

Many thanks !

Sorry to have to tell you: you're in the wrong thread. The ATH-4 was a late-70s dynamic, not an orthodynamic. Pleasant but blah (no bass, no treble).

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #15,642 of 27,138

Quote:
Nickchen-- eagerly awaiting your impressions, etc etc. It's good to have a ninja on your side, isn't it. Of course, you understand this means you have to return the favor [grumbles to self about @#$! wire transfers and deutsche post päckchens...].  

If that ninja ever needs something specificly teutonian (a Merc, a Schwarzbrot, an eastgerman skinhead) I am sure that I am able to help out
biggrin.gif

In respect of impressions, don't expect too much praise then. I had an everything-sounds-great-phase in my earlier days, but meanwhile I've become a bit too critical I guess...But if you do get instant praise, I'm sold to the planar principle!!

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #15,644 of 27,138

Quote:
Oops !  Sorry for the mistake. 

No harm done. In fact, it gives us an opportunity to revisit an old headphone (and speaker) truism: If for some good reason (cost, size, weight) you can't reproduce the bass and treble well, don't try. Just roll off the extremes gradually, keep the response reasonably flat and smooth in the midrange (say 200 Hz to 2 kHz), and the headphone will go over well. After all, that's where all the good stuff happens (music, voice, spatial effects). 

Nickchen-- don't you worry your Teutonic head about heaping praise on the T20v2. We want to hear the unvarnished truth.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #15,645 of 27,138
I'm really enjoying Nikchen's T20v2.  They sound really good!  Kind of a refined Sextett in a way.  I can see how someone would say they are rolled off, but it really doesn't matter when there's so much detail and speed.  They are way more detailed then my HD600.  They also seem to respond better to damping then other orthos i've had.  They seem to still manage to sound good even when the damping isn't perfect which I'm guessing is because there aren't as many glaring flaws to correct for as others, so the damping is more just about tuning to get the right balance. 

I'd like to compare them to the T10, but unfortunately I'm using the damping materials from the T10 in the T20.  But i'm guessing so far that the T10 is more extended, but the T20v2 has a sweeter sound to the midrange.  The T20v2 is certainly more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back