Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #13,786 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and the HP-2 are going 200+.

This puts paid to my any further interest in Yamaha line of orthos.
At least till the current price boom subsides

I think its the same guy, some rich person, once he gets his fill I think the prices will go back to pre-March values
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #13,788 of 27,141
I think it's just that those two were in excellent condition. There are four other auctions I'm looking at, and they're all under $30. But, yes, quite insane. Who here bid on the YH-100's? Because it appears that the last two bidders were low-feedback users, and the bidder on the HP-2 is definitely the same dude from the YH-100

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #13,789 of 27,141
Quote:

Yamaha HP/YH-2-- Used some cheaper materials than its big brother the HP/YH-1, leading to some problems with crumbling foam in some cases, but sonically very like the HP/YH-1.Quality control is a bit looser on this pair of twins, so your YH-2 may not sound like your HP-2. A pain to work on, though as with the HP/YH-1, the results will wash away your tears.

is it true that there are significant productions variations in HP-2 since from the descriptions I was assuming that it would be difficult to get bass from these.

But, today after my second mod there is plenty of bass including the elusive deep bass.
Infact my friend who considers himself a reasonable basshead asked after listening to these - What did you do man ? Placed a subwoofer in these cans ?

The bass quantity wise is more than that of HD580 & a tad less than my denon and quality wise much better.
Do I have a bass heavy version ?

Btw, I can attest to the emboldened statement.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #13,790 of 27,141
Hey guys, I just got an HP-2 to tweak with and I was wondering if anybody had any excess felt I could have. I've used microfiber cloth in conjunction with wool felt to a pretty good degree of success, but I've used up my felt doing an SFI transplant (and being a college student, I don't really have a means of getting to a craft store). Is anybody feeling particularly charitable?

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #13,791 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it true that there are significant productions variations in HP-2 since from the descriptions I was assuming that it would be difficult to get bass from these.

I haven't heard as much variation in the few HP-2s and YH-2s I've heard as there's been between the HP-3s and YH-3s I have, but yes, there are audible differences.

Bass is mostly dependent on tuning. Absolute maximum bass level does depend on diaphragm area, as you'd expect, but in this case, you won't hear a lot of difference between the HP-1 and HP-2. They're not that much different in size. Mostly you trade off maximum output level for the smaller size of the HP-2. If you're getting deep bass from an HP/YH-2, consider doing a photo tutorial so others can duplicate your results. You may not have a special HP/YH-2; you may just be a highly skilled modder.

The only possible turnoff with the HP-2 is that it has that black foam that, depending on storage conditions, can turn sticky and crumbly. I take it you had no such trouble.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #13,793 of 27,141
The last few days I have started to listen again to my original Smeggy made thunderpants, i was quite sure that it was "inferior" to my main Fostex woodies but man was I wrong.

I didn't think I would want to have two different sounding thunderpants, but the originals are genuine rock headphones They are darker than my main phones but they are a welcome change. I am indeed fortunate to own two beautiful custom headphones made by our very own ortho master.
I have really come to the end of the road in terms of my search for headphone nirvana. I find myself spending more time actually listening to music and exploring my music library (which by the way has grown to over 1TB of FLAC, wav, AAC and MP3).

I am considering sending one of my thunderpants on the road as a loaner pair for you ortho peeps in the US, assuming there is interest. These deserve to be heard.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #13,795 of 27,141
Quote:

I am considering sending one of my thunderpants on the road as a loaner pair for you ortho peeps in the US, assuming there is interest. These deserve to be heard.

just one? how are people to hear the difference and appreciate fully what you have
very_evil_smiley.gif

..dB

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #13,796 of 27,141
I recabled my T20v2 today with Belden starquad & the results are similar to the HP-2 recable - more clarity & better separation.

I did a search & it seems others who have tried recabling the vintage orthos have had similar results.It seems for vintage orthos at least, recabling does bring significant sonic improvement.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #13,799 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just one? how are people to hear the difference and appreciate fully what you have
very_evil_smiley.gif

..dB

haha..that would be like separating me from my soul
tongue.gif

In seriousness, i wouldn't want to risk sending both out in case the package got lost
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back