Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #7,231 of 27,171
All right - the amount of dedication and creativity in this group was making me feel bad about being a slacker and trying to sell my '3s without so much as touching them.

Modding the YH-3's wasn't so difficult (even with Head-Fi down for re-indexing - Thanks to Ludo's search tool, and Smeggy's felt via dBel)

A modified version of Don's HP50A damping (dense felt/stock foam/thinblack/greenfelt/driver), for a first try.

Already notice the difference... Thanks for providing a great resource here...

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #7,236 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All right - the amount of dedication and creativity in this group was making me feel bad about being a slacker and trying to sell my '3s without so much as touching them.

Modding the YH-3's wasn't so difficult (even with Head-Fi down for re-indexing - Thanks to Ludo's search tool, and Smeggy's felt via dBel)

A modified version of Don's HP50A damping (dense felt/stock foam/thinblack/greenfelt/driver), for a first try.

Already notice the difference... Thanks for providing a great resource here...

So waddaya thunk of 'em now you've tweaked?

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #7,238 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So waddaya thunk of 'em now you've tweaked?

I am just going through my test music now. Me thinks they are bass-heavy when I thought they were bass-light - the bottom is noticeably punchier, but the overall balance remains good. I'm used to my 650's bass - these don't shake my head, but bass response is still there.

Gonna take 'em back to work and not sell 'em. And look for some thicker felt at the crafts store.
wink.gif
I just found Ludo's original damping guide, so I'm going to try that out too and let my ears tell me the difference if'n they can.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #7,239 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, I think they sound magic withthe SOHA II - curious to see what you think to ..dB

That's what they're on the end of now! I'm violating my 'no audiophile content' rule and listening to some Diana Krall - pianos are sounding scary good. There is definitely an improvement in soundstage with the damping.

More listening now - but agreed - great synergy with the SohaII...
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #7,242 of 27,171
Just popping in with a quick question: what, if any orthos are good for portable use? No external amp, just straight out of the player. IIRC the Pro 30 was supposedly such a headphone?

Oh and have there been any big discovories or revelations since I've started neglecting this thread and my wiki, say in the last 5 months?

Danke!

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #7,243 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just popping in with a quick question: what, if any orthos are good for portable use? No external amp, just straight out of the player. IIRC the Pro 30 was supposedly such a headphone?

Oh and have there been any big discovories or revelations since I've started neglecting this thread and my wiki, say in the last 5 months?

Danke!

The new T50P is actually good and relatively easy to drive. Easier than most. However, they are full-size circums. Very nice for the price.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #7,244 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received a pair of YH-100 from Ludoo and I'm speachless. Amazing! I just edited this to tone it down, I haven't listened to them much. But thanks for the discovery! I'm in awe.

Oh good, they arrived then.
smily_headphones1.gif

The damping is suboptimal, one of the previous schemes worked slightly better but I cannot remember what it was. You should have enough felts to try a few things. Just use the black cashmere one sparingly as I'm out of it.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #7,245 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I would remove the tape and add either a very small disc of thin dense felt on the middle of the driver, between the two existing felts, or a donut as large as the driver in the same position, with a very large hole (i.e. a thin donut). Then close, give a listen, you should have some more treble and about the same quantity of bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't necessarily want to completely seal the drive with tape. I left a tiny opening for a bass vent or a lot of it vanishes. Hard damping too close to the driver will really deaden the bass unless you leave a little gap. At which point it's not really 'hard damped' anymore but it still works well depending on phone type I'd guess.

It'd be nice if there was a nice universal fix-all setup
tongue.gif

So, the alternatives are:
- felt disc
- felt donut
- surgical tape with a tiny opening. (how tiny? Since I already have the tape in place I'll try that first. I tried opening a line over the driver, with the witdth of one hole, over the middle. That opening was too much I think.)

Reflex-anything (dot or disc) using a hard reflective material is something I'd rather not do at all since it messes with headstage on the Grundig.

(My HP50S are now in town, I'm just waiting to find out where.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back