Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 27, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #5,506 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try to construct a bass lens. I have seen a few headphones use it. Sony use it in it's F1 headphones:

mdrf1p2.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly is a bass lens? I'm not finding anything useful on Google search.

Thinking along those lines (the bass ones), what do you guys think about me buying a DT-770 for relatively cheap on amazon and swapping the drivers? I was also thinking of looking for a DT-100 or DT-150 for cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought someone posted a good photo of the bass lens in this thread. It basically keeps the more directional bass tight and focused right into the opening of the ear, while letting the treble out un-impeded.

Here is my old post quoted.
beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #5,510 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't lurk in the DIY thread you might have missed this.

Bad boys...

Luckily the Fostex weren't damaged!

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #5,511 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dbel your latest SFIs are gorgeous. Care to tell us how you damped them?

Thanks. I thought I had better post this before it slips my mind

Today was a little busy, making halloween costumes as well as casing up the bijou and making octal - noval adapters ( ps if someone is interested , I figured out a real simple method to do this )

The Pickerings were an inspiration from Yogi, he discovered them originally and bought the 2 different models. The 03A is the only one I would seriously consider as a fosterfone. The cups form a little like a deeper yamaha - vented by slots in the bottom and screw down front plate. Unfortunately the whole thing falls apart when you open it and the gold ring is in fact a separate part.

The first thing I did was do the standard primary damping on the SFI - remove the mesh, glue the thin dense felt to the magnet and then place reflex strips top and bottom followed by a thicker felt pad glued around the edges. I no longer have the ludo felt so I used thick wadding that is used to ship toxic chemicals - it is tightly woven very dense and very similar in nature to the felt ludo had sourced.

I placed a small disc of felt behind that again. The space around the SFI was filled with a porous foam in a ring , I used the green thinner felt to cover the entire back of the cup and then used a round pad of egg foam the size of the cup to hold it all together, nice 'n snug.

All parts of the cup were sealed together with bitumen "tape" used in speaker building. The SFI was also sealed to the front plate before it was all compressed together and screwed back together. ( bitumen tape is not unlike play doh - messy as hell but seals airtight.

As to sound - I really liked them. They were the least forward sounding SFI's I have made to date and have a bass that is strong and well articulated. The pads reduce the bass more than when I tried the flat pads but they are more comfortable and the improvement in soundstage was worth the loss of a little bass.

I would recommend them to anyone to try as a fosterfone.

This thread has been real busy today, I am no longer incredulous of smeggy's discoveries - voyage forth and lets hope this is like diarrhoea and it trickles down to the rest of us in time.
biggrin.gif

good find PDOT, let us know all the details and finally MPI , I wouldn't try the DT770's unless you wanted the harness. I have just sold a pair and those cups are just too huge to consider taming. There are many cheaper options out there. In fact I saw a pair of throw away cans in ROSS this weekend - called "ear damage" or something along those lines = $6 ; they looked like they would make a fine SFI transfer.

..dB

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #5,512 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MPI , I wouldn't try the DT770's unless you wanted the harness. I have just sold a pair and those cups are just too huge to consider taming. There are many cheaper options out there. In fact I saw a pair of throw away cans in ROSS this weekend - called "ear damage" or something along those lines = $6 ; they looked like they would make a fine SFI transfer.

I was thinking of perhaps making something along the lines of a bass reflex configuration, suggested by wualta:

bassreflexlu1.jpg

There are indeed many factors that could go quite wrong and end up making the headphone sound terrible, I admit, one problem being I have no idea which side I would damp and how reflective I want the surfaces to be, and if I can even control it. Okay, that's a lot more than one problem. I guess I was being way too ambitious... it happens.
redface.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #5,514 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D
Lets hope the drivers are the same, as getting new pads is better than getting new headphones. But notice the rubber things inside the cup and maybe different material for dumping of the front of the driver.....

I was mistaken about the rubber isolators-- mine does have them. It also has that nonwoven layer over the baffle. Looks just like yours.. except for those Mystery Pads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84
I really find the cream and brown pleather look appealing.

Aren't they cute? Love those little earpads. As F2D said, the YHEs are based on the YHD-3, which resembles a miniaturized HP-3 with the important difference that the YHD-3 has a vented back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D
I can't wire anything to save my life....

Doesn't facelvega know how? He could teach you. Besides, you live in NYC, where there are soldering bodegas on every corner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomek.W.
my friend had YHL-50 and they looked the same as YHE that we saw in the picture. From what I remember about them, they had a lot of bass, and they were very light

If you come across any photos, let us know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
Do you think the larger squarish pads can be made to fit the older models with a bit of work?

Good question. I don't know. Anyone tried this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
I think I'm going to wait for a good price on the T50RP (T50v3v2?) and pounce, so maybe I'm really not. That bitter.

Yeah, if the new T50RP is all that anna bagga chips, you'll be forced to sell your ortho collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Pah, that's nothing to a man of your caliber!

[size=xx-small]...he has a caliber..?...[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Oh, and as to my extraordinarily bass monsterish SFI, I think I my have inadvertently reinvented the bass lens or something along those lines.

It's worth noting that the T50/NAD/Maior has something similar to the Sony "bass lens" on the front magnet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TDS 16 "Эхо".

Let us know what it takes to make these sound good.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #5,515 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
It's worth noting that the T50/NAD/Maior has something similar to the Sony "bass lens" on the front magnet.

Are there any pics of this?

What do you guys think of using the MB Quart 55x/45x as a fosterphone? Seems fairly safe, but I'm not sure how easy swapping the drivers will be. One nice thing about it is the cable is dual-entry.

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #5,516 of 27,185
Quote:

Are there any pics of this?

What do you guys think of using the MB Quart 55x/45x as a fosterphone?

1) Yes, in the Planar Obsession (T50) thread.

2) It's been done earlier in this thread and found wanting (even I bought one), but with current knowledge.... Who knows?

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #5,517 of 27,185
Oh, is that the 'felt mask'? Interesting. Of course, a felt mask can be applied directly to the front magnet since the driver is so big and the earpads seem fairly flat. Sadly, size matters and the same probably can't be done with the SFI drivers. The Sony has the bass lens on the actual enclosure, though.

Going back through some of this thread, I found that Sansui SS-100 drivers were at some point available. Did anyone here purchase any? And would anyone have any extras I could buy?

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #5,519 of 27,185
Quote:

Going back through some of this thread, I found that Sansui SS-100 drivers were at some point available. Did anyone here purchase any? And would anyone have any extras I could buy?

I contacted a seller by email but he was only interested in selling them as replacement parts for existing phones. Fair enough. If I had a pair of SS-100 headphones I would like to have access to a spare set of drivers.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #5,520 of 27,185
Quote:

Yes. No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back