Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 26, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #5,461 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I well T50 is different from T20, larger and pads are different. Here are some picture.

So no way T20 pads would fit on T50
frown.gif
but looks like there is no need to put them on as T50 pads are as think as T20 as the pictures show.

Ok now.... I did some comparisons and T50RP sounds fuller with better harder hitting bass than T20 or YH-1. The bass is deeper compared to my DT880 and almost on DT990 and Lambda level, but with better impact. They are officially, not bass light. Bass does extend very low (25Hz maybe as 20Hz tone is a bit rolled off, but 30Hz tone is very clearly audible) but not as seamlessly as DT990 and does not have as much detail as LNS but with a simple felt and cotton balls mod it becomes focused and tight. High frequencies are even a bit rolled off, compared to DT880/990 or LNS that is, on par with my YH-1 and T20. The biggest problem with them was an echo reverberation issue, similar to K340, that made them sound a bit honky out of the box, cotton balls and felt mostly takes care of that. I bet some vibration treatment on the back of the cups will make them sound even better.

I like them, they are way better than ATH-2, Pro 30, HP-50S, a bit better then T20 and even YH-1 at some things like bass
wink.gif
. To my ears T50RP is on par with YH-100
bigsmile_face.gif
after a simple mod that is.

Let me tell you why I say this. They have soundstage, nice DT831 size sound stage, that changes with recordings. Unlike all SFI driver based headphones that I heard that have soundstage the size of walnut (SR-X size soundstage) or YH-1 that always have the same but accurate soundstage. Of all my orthos T20 has a similar soundstage, but positioning is not as good.

Also keep in mind that they are on the mellow side, not as fast as properly modded YH-100, but bass is awesome and tonal balance is very nice.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #5,463 of 27,185
Smeggy, I hope this friend of yours, Fowst, is right about this T50RP business. [UPDATE: He is! About the bass, anyway. We'll call this one the T50RPv2] If he is, we can all go out and buy T50RPs and then retire happy to our respective warrens.

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #5,466 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomek.W. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound is more pure, with better black background.

Exactly what I hear in my HP-3. I think the combination of

* bass-heavy driver

* baffle that locks the driver in place without allowing it to move laterally

* plastic posts in the cups that don't allow the driver to move behind

* very dense felt that fils all the earcup

Makes the resulting sound very similar to what Tomek is achieving with his mod. And explains the difference in sound between my hp-3 and yh-100.

Will start scouring the auto parts shops for sound absorbing material, I only dread the mess it will make with my phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great job F2D on the T50RP. Plenty of them around at decent prices, if all of them sound like yours we might have a winner.

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #5,468 of 27,185
Quote:

Any way, Ludoo should check this mod
because I can't belive that his hp-3 sound better than yh100

For the end, you must guys check by your self what thicknes of back layer is the best for you,my friend yh100 for exampel sounds differently than my model, so the same mod doesn't has to sound on every headphones the same.

Hello Tomek,

Many thanks for your mod guide
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you tell us the difference in sound between your YH-100 and yours friends?
(Mine and Ludo's YH-100 apprentely sound identical...).

Also you said you would post an explaination of the sound differences you observe between the YH-100 and 1000 that you found the need to bridge the gap between. THat would be great too
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #5,471 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great job F2D on the T50RP. Plenty of them around at decent prices, if all of them sound like yours we might have a winner.

Well it does sound nice to my ears still has some problems, SR-007 it is not, just not with bass
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smeggy, I hope this friend of yours, Fowst, is right about this T50RP business. If he is, we can all go out and buy T50RPs and then retire happy to our respective warrens.

Well there are two (or more?) variations it seems, how do we know what you will get?

Quote:

what if we could use a t50 earpads in rp50 model?- Faust check it if you can

I can't check as I never had the old one.
redface.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #5,473 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by PDOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Faust2D,
Do not be cruel.

redface.gif
I wish I had more to tell you, if someone wants to send me old T50 to compare I would be happy to do so
L3000.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #5,474 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D
Wualta do you have good detailed pics of your T50? Maybe there are visible differences?

My T50RP, you mean? Its driver is depicted in closeup in the Planar Obsession T50 thread, but pictures of its outside I don't got, because it was soon enough cast into the outer darkness where teeth are gnashed and cameras are few. However, it looks just like yours, and as I noted, the little numbers printed on the diaphragm are the same as on mine (which may prove nothing but is interesting). Near as I can tell by squinting at your photos, anyway.

Quote:

Well it does sound nice to my ears still has some problems, SR-007 it is not, just not with bass..

You mean, the problem is no longer the bass? Good. We can deal with the other problems.

Quote:

Well there are two (or more?) variations it seems, how do we know what you will get?

The problem is, I don't know when Fostex made the change (and they may have made it because of complaints about the durability of the thick pads), but I'll bet it was a while ago, because PDOT's had the T50RPv2 for nearly a year. On the other hand, who knows how many old-style T50RPs are left in the stores? You might want to call the customer service desk of the online retailer of your choice and make sure you're getting the flat pads.

To answer the swap questions: there are no older Fostex thin pads (which were all round) that will fit the larger squarish baffle of the T50RP, T20RP mk ii and T40RP mk ii. Not without surgery.

We should also be prepared to find that the T50RPv2's driver is the same as it ever was and that the differences are strictly due to the earpads.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #5,475 of 27,185
I just bought a brand new YHE-50A, oh the joys of mono
biggrin.gif

bassman3-img600x450-1224943052u6mj2f21248.jpg

I did not even knew that YHE-50A existed.

P.S. I need another headphone like a hole in my head
degenerat.gif
I am officially addicted to this ortho finding and buying
011.gif
and I blame all of you. Do we have a Ortho Anonymous support group?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back