Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 5, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #4,561 of 27,171
Ah, thanks for the photos. The 223 looks just like the Concept CE-H sold by Pacific Stereo on the west coast of the US, and uses a Fostex T20 driver-- though which of the first two T20s I didn't know until I saw the 77 in the lower right of one of Kabeer's brochures. Fostex was making ortho headphones for others before they sold them under their own name! At least in the North American market. But I like the simple (and open-back?) 224. Great styling. Wish I had one to inspect.

What did you think of the U70?

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #4,562 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scompton, does your U70 knockoff lack the free-floating subframe of the U70 that lets you position each driver at the proper angle and then lock it down?

It has a head size adjustment switch on the left ear, which is a pretty minimal adjustment. Both ears have a spring loaded switch labeled Earphone Adjustment. You press down to release. It lifts a piece of plastic on the top of the ear piece that allows you to swivel the ear peice from side to side with about 1/4 inch total movement. Unfortunately, there's no adjustment for top to bottom where it's needed. The bottom sits almost a half inch off of my head. It's an incredibly cheap knock off.

Edit: This thing must be old. It's a portable AM only radio. If you look at the picture, there's no cable.

Did anyone here buy the YH-2 for $102.50? Somehow, I think it went to a collector.

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #4,563 of 27,171
For that money, they're welcome to it, I say.

EDIT: Not a collector-- a bikie! Only a bikie would buy old friction-shift Shimano derailleurs. [strokes beard thoughtfully] Now, what would a bikie want with a Yamaha HP-2? Hmm..

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #4,565 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes Faust and GuyMe, why are there two different headphone wiki's here! lol surely it would make more sense to have all the info in one place?

I believe I've said this before but Faust is free to take any content from my wiki that he pleases. The sections on USSR orthos is pretty well fleshed out, would make a good transplant I think.

I haven't felt compelled to edit my wiki in ages, I'm not as fanatical about headphones these days I suppose, I reckon my YH-100 will be just fine for my needs. Maybe still get a Lambda... ya for sure. Must hear what all the hype is about there.

Anyway my wiki is collecting dust while Faust's is still seeing many updates, it would make sense to focus all future articles on his. My wiki will stay up, but unless someone wants to take up editing the rest of it, it's not going to grow any further.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #4,566 of 27,171
Well the YH-2 arrived today and I quickly popped them out of the cups and the foam is in one piece with no crumblies and the pads are in decent shape given their age. Anyhow, I stuck a square of dense felt over the back of the driver with mounting tape which had the effect of tightening the bass and raising the treble nicely. Overall, not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Quite enjoyable actually and show some potential. I'm glad I got them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #4,567 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe
I reckon my YH-100 will be just fine for my needs. Maybe still get a Lambda... ya for sure.

So you got a YH-100? Good on you, mate. If they've arrived, do us the usual (photos, damping using cat fuzz, the works). If they've yet to arrive, what strategy did you use to make them start walking in your direction?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Well the YH-2 arrived today... Overall, not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Quite enjoyable actually and show some potential. I'm glad I got them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, they're not horrible. And these days, there seems to be a helluva lot more of 'em than any other Orthodynamics. If $60 and up doesn't sound like too much, grab one while they're here.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #4,568 of 27,171
Quote:

So you got a YH-100? Good on you, mate. If they've arrived, do us the usual (photos, damping using cat fuzz, the works). If they've yet to arrive, what strategy did you use to make them start walking in your direction?

Err.. I got one ages ago
biggrin.gif
. It took me a month to send them to smeggy because... I have no idea. Anyway the t50v2 he's on about was mine, the 100 will be in an sr-40 with some eggoness I believe. Should be marvelous. Looks like I might soon catch a normal Lambda as well
biggrin.gif

Earlier in the thread I talked about my playing with the 100, it was at one point facelvegas and was alraedy damped. It was much too bright for me and I believe I removed a disc, gasketed one of the drivers that hadn't been, and then was very very happy with the sound. Better in both directions than the YH-1, lower bass and further out treble. It just sounded "right", besides one thing, the treble was a bit muted for my taste. I opened them up to put on the ol reflex dot and popped a cable, woops! So off to Smeggy they went, I suspect something wonderful will be coming back from him (also the smegtett!).

I don't think I understood your other question, but if I did, I put up a WTB on these forums and the guy who bought them off a guy who bought them off Erik wasn't keen on them and let me trade my K400 for them. I actually quite liked the K400, but I think the Lambda will make me happy in the same way...maybe?

Good to see all the ortho crazies are still hard at work
biggrin.gif
. Maybe I will join you again someday...

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #4,569 of 27,171
Yeah, the YH-2 is not too bad for $60. After more listening they have a little bit of a boxy sound to them and they are a little 'soft' in the attack and impact areas. The bass is perfectly adequate for me and they are very inoffensive when your ears are feeling fragile.

I get the feeling I'll be doing some major surgery at a (much) later date, until then I'll enjoy them as-is. Surprisingly they go to decent levels from my wee DAP. Not loud, comfortable levels.

I'm also happy to say that the pad pressure is very light and the smaller pad size is less painful than the larger SR-X, YH1,100, RP-18 etc. pads.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #4,570 of 27,171
Do you have a problem with them sliding off your head? That's a big part of why I sold my pair without bothering to mod them.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #4,571 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a problem with them sliding off your head? That's a big part of why I sold my pair without bothering to mod them.

Surprisingly, no. Despite the low clamp and relatively heavy cups they do seem pretty stable unless I have my head tilted down 45 degrees, which I don't normally do. They stay on better than many other supras I've had. The sound is growing on me too and I feel we'll be firm friends later.
smile.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #4,572 of 27,171
Sorry I forgot about your YH-100 saga/tragedy, GuyMe. Just goes to show, there is indeed life beyond Orthodynamics. Hope the Smegster can run you up a sympathetic enclosure.

I think you'll like the Lambdas, though they'll probably be too bright for you without EQ.

LAII: I too have had no problems with the first-gen Orthos staying on my head.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #4,573 of 27,171
Quote:

Back to England for a moment. Anyone ever hear, or hear of, the Leak 3000 Isodynamic? Visually it's identical to the second Wharfedale isodynamic, the ID2.
ID-2a.jpg

Leak3000Isodynamics.jpg
Leak3000_2a.jpg
Leak3000a.jpg

Is it related in any way to the original Wharfedale (see post #42)? Is it an in-house design, and if so, who designed it, Wharfedale or Leak?

When I first looked at this thread my mind went back to my first pair of headphones I bought in the 70's - a pair of Leaks that looked awefully like the 3000, in fact I'm absolutly sure they are the same.
Now I left home in '84 and I left my hifi to my parents, so I'm going to call them up in an hour to ask if they can see those cans anywhere (the loft I imagine) and pop them in the post. I am now certain they are the same cans, here's hoping they are safe and sound.

BT

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #4,574 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am now certain they are the same cans, here's hoping they are safe and sound.

Wow! Free orthos.
smily_headphones1.gif
I should find out where headphones go to die around here, as we seem to have no thrift/charity stores.

Back to my nemesis, the SFIs, for a minute: I resumed work on my K140 hybrids, and need some advice on damping. I followed Smeggy's latest find, removed the back cloth from the driver, smeared the magnet with glue and put a layer of thin very dense tissue there. They are starting to sound good, but they are still severely underdamped. I cannot find what else to put on top of that, and how to keep it in place. The damn cardan assembly is in the way, as usual. Pic:

k140sfi.jpg

I don't understand these things (the SFIs): sometimes you need little to overdamp them. Other times you start to get it right, but they keep sounding cavernous and underdamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back