Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 13, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #4,231 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of adhesive would be used to attach the voice-coil to it's tensioning/conductive ring?

I stumbled yesterday on a post from the Stax thread where Spritzer describes how he makes the membranes to repair his drivers. Maybe the same adhesive can be used?

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #4,232 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT?? This is unconscionable. Smeggy, [sings, with Todd Rundgren doing backup] We Gotta Gitchew a Fostexxxx...

The T50v2 should be out to him tomorrow. It's sat around fully packaged for weeks, I've just been too busy. Also the YH-100 and SR-40.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my apologies if someone had been watching these and hoping they would fly under the radar but I stumbled on them and thought they would be a nice distraction from the ortho discussion and someone here may actually have been looking for a pair.

PIONEER HEADPHONES SE-700 EXCELLENT COND

..dB

I am actually. Course I still haven't been to the bank so my paypals gonna be empty till like next monday. Guess I'll have to give this one a pass too. Oh well.

For those who don't know the SE-700 is piezoelectric.

I'll try to get back to work on the wiki this week or the weekend. I think I can still get all the isos up there before labor day.

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #4,233 of 27,171
Well got something in the post today. And here it is all stripped down ready for a bath
floatsmile.png
It has two circular discs of thick felt damping, the same circumference as the driver. Any ideas?
2759710522_d66e8a305f_o.jpg

EDIT: Here is a photo of the drivers for Ludoo (and whomever else is interested), Iv flipped one over so you can see both sides...dunno how interesting it is
tongue.gif

2759880130_f0af81f328.jpg

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #4,234 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe
The T50v2 should be out to him tomorrow. Also the YH-100 and SR-40.

Ah, thank you, Other Kind Head-Fi-er. Are all of those in stock form?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabeer
..Any ideas?

Hm. If it will go back together without the outer panels, try running it without the damping pucks. Pay special attention to the driver/baffle seal, which is as you see problematic. See what kind of sound the drivers have without the damping and the reflective back panel and report back. Is it bassy or midrangey at all? If it's not, then damping won't help and we're DIW.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #4,235 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm. If it will go back together without the outer panels, try running it without the damping pucks. Pay special attention to the driver/baffle seal, which is as you see problematic. See what kind of sound the drivers have without the damping and the reflective back panel and report back. Is it bassy or midrangey at all? If it's not, then damping won't help and we're DIW.

I held just the drivers directly to me ears like Ludoo told me (the pads are still drying from their bleach soaking).

The sound was pretty midrangey id say, bass and treble were present, but quite subdued, the bass subdued a little bit more than the treble. Im a total n00b, but I would hazard a guess you could probably get a nice sound out of these, I havent tried them in the acual u70 frame yet.
Though it might not be the sound im looking for since I want the BIG impactful bass.

If you have any ideas about testing the damping or whatever, I could try it out.

EDIT: oh yes, I measured the drivers, which are roughly 55mm in diameter.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #4,236 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I held just the drivers directly to me ears like Ludoo told me (the pads are still drying from their bleach soaking).

The sound was pretty midrangey id say, bass and treble were present, but quite subdued, the bass subdued a little bit more than the treble. Im a total n00b, but I would hazard a guess you could probably get a nice sound out of these, I havent tried them in the acual u70 frame yet.
Though it might not be the sound im looking for since I want the BIG impactful bass.

If you have any ideas about testing the damping or whatever, I could try it out.

EDIT: oh yes, I measured the drivers, which are roughly 55mm in diameter.

They look pretty sweet, and 55mm drivers should give at least adequate bass if nothing else. I would be very tempted to drill a honking big hole in the silver backplate the size of the driver, wire mesh it and go from there with damping. I get the impression the backplate is ultimately going to foil most attempts at getting a good sound but that's just my gut instinct and I could be completely wrong.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #4,237 of 27,171
Well, after I got everything mostly dried up, and reassembled to stock configuration, I can actually hear a pretty decent bass response. The overall spectrum is semi-muffled, and suprisingly the bass seems to be the cleanest and most impressive part :s.

Im wondering why everyone else says it has no bass?? Im a big basshead, and sure, it doesnt have the BIG monster bass, but I wouldnt say its that lacking. And from what I hear good damping etc..should be able to bring it out.
EDIT: well realising they already have some kind of damping, im not sure what to do next! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look pretty sweet, and 55mm drivers should give at least adequate bass if nothing else. I would be very tempted to drill a honking big hole in the silver backplate the size of the driver, wire mesh it and go from there with damping. I get the impression the backplate is ultimately going to foil most attempts at getting a good sound but that's just my gut instinct and I could be completely wrong.

Im a bit worried about drilling things...because I only bought these to play with for a while, and I dunno if anyone will buy them off me with big holes in
wink.gif
. If I dont do a great job with them (Iv got to learn about damping and all these waves from scratch now), maybe someone else here would want a try? Volunteers? Smeggy?
I am located in the UK btw.

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #4,239 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im a bit worried about drilling things...because I only bought these to play with for a while, and I dunno if anyone will buy them off me with big holes in
wink.gif

You could also buy a cheap fosterphone, something like the 1 euro 70s phones that regularly appear on ebay.de or cheap 10 euros phones from some low end electronic store, and mount the drivers there. Only be careful that not all phones have room for 55mm drivers...

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #4,241 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but then it wouldnt have the awsome float frame!

Speaking of floats, I contacted the seller for the PMB100 currently on sale, made him a reasonable (as in not cheap person but honest) offer, but checking my finances and the other auctions I'd like to bid on, I think I'll pass. If any of you are interested just drop me a PM and I'll send you the info.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #4,243 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer

Listening to drivers this way won't tell you much about the bass, but it will help you characterize the driver.

Bleach? Really? That must have been one filthy headphone.

Quote:

The sound was pretty midrangey id say, bass and treble were present, but quite subdued; it might not be the sound im looking for since I want the BIG impactful bass.

Quote:

Well, I got everything reassembled to stock configuration.. I can actually hear a pretty decent bass response. I'm wondering why everyone else says it has no bass?? Im a big basshead, and sure, it doesnt have the BIG monster bass, but I wouldnt say its that lacking.

Everything is relative, of course, and in this case, it was me saying they lacked bass because they were being compared to the modded YH-1 and especially the YH-100, which when properly damped has what's become for me normal bass, not heavy or excessive bass but powerful and extended and solid. Now I don't mind so much that the U70 has "lite" bass, but the fact that there seemed to be a treble cutoff (not a rolloff) was bizarre and discouraging, because at the time there were no reflex dots, and further damping to try to recover the treble would've been both difficult (how do you increase damping over those huge felt discs they've already got?) and bad for bass.

Also, don't forget that my opinions were based on my sample, which was using Stax SR-80 pads.

This is why I suggested running them with the backs popped off, baffle seals checked (and if necessary reconstituted with RTV silicone or blu-tack), and no damping, just to get a feel for what they sounded like raw, making as much bass as they were ever likely to make. Is it possible to run them that way?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
They look pretty sweet, and 55mm drivers should give at least adequate bass if nothing else. I get the impression the backplate is ultimately going to foil most attempts at getting a good sound but that's just my gut instinct..

A 55mm driver certainly has enough active area to deliver great bass (exhibit A: the YH-100), but as we know from the YH-1 and PMB 100, the compliance can be set low so that less damping is needed, with the expected bass tradeoff. I share your feeling about the closed, utterly flat back.

Kabeer, hope you find some way to give the U70 a good top and bottom end before it leaves your hands. The top end fix should be easy, and it's a reversible mod, so reselling shouldn't be a problem. If you're already happy with the bass, that's one mod you needn't bother with. I assume you already like the midrange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D
I am planing on winning that PMB100..

Hope you get it. It's a good "subwoofer" headphone. Let us know what you think of the headstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back