Second generation Fostex T20 and T40: 45mm
New Fostex T20, T40 and T50: 35mm square driver
Yamaha YH-1, YH-100: 55mm
Yamaha YH-1000: 50mm
Yamaha HP-50, YH-2, YH-3 46mm
YHD-1, 2, 3 and YHE-50: 38mm
ATH / SFI: 38mm

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #23,134 of 27,141
Walked out of an estate sale the other day with a mint condition pair  of Yamaha HP-1's for $15. I had no idea what to expect sound wise but I've got about 10 hours use on them now and I really enjoy them.  I've started reading this thread and modding the HP-1 seems popular but I think I'll enjoy them in their stock form for awhile before decide if I want to mod them.  

As I read through this giant thread I'll pay close attention to the mods but what I'm really hoping to find is info on how to properly amp them.  I'm surprised to see in the specs they can handle 3W's !!   For now they sound best with my old Pioneer SX-650.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #23,137 of 27,141
Walked out of an estate sale the other day with a mint condition pair  of Yamaha HP-1's for $15. I had no idea what to expect sound wise but I've got about 10 hours use on them now and I really enjoy them.  I've started reading this thread and modding the HP-1 seems popular but I think I'll enjoy them in their stock form for awhile before decide if I want to mod them.  

As I read through this giant thread I'll pay close attention to the mods but what I'm really hoping to find is info on how to properly amp them.  I'm surprised to see in the specs they can handle 3W's !!   For now they sound best with my old Pioneer SX-650.
This reminds me of my ortho story. Got my yh-100 for about $8 in very good condition and knew nothing about ortho dynamic at the time. I didn't want to mod minw either because they were very good too. Mine sounded best out of a early '90s JVC CD player I had. Even though I had a 70's Sansui amp too. Finally I got a real hp amp and woah! Anyhow, sold them for $300 on eBay with some regret. Then ended up getting a awesome deal on some hifiman he5le for $420.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #23,139 of 27,141
  I think you did not get then for $8 on any on online auction sites.
Is it true YH-100 and hp-1 drivers are same?

I think he got them from a thrift shop or something.
This reminds me of my ortho story. Got my yh-100 for about $8 in very good condition and knew nothing about ortho dynamic at the time. I didn't want to mod minw either because they were very good too. Mine sounded best out of a early '90s JVC CD player I had. Even though I had a 70's Sansui amp too. Finally I got a real hp amp and woah! Anyhow, sold them for $300 on eBay with some regret. Then ended up getting a awesome deal on some hifiman he5le for $420.

How did you sell your YH-100 for $300? 
eek.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #23,141 of 27,141
So should I, I have a bunch of stuff that I don't want anymore and/or have given up on, like the TDS-5 drivers. I just can't seem to make them sound good so I want to get rid of them now.

EDIT: Made a classified for everything I want to let go.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #23,143 of 27,141

A couple of downsides to vintage modding. Modded items aren't worth as much as the originals - which weren't worth much to begin with - and spare parts salvaged from units broken by excessive modding certainly aren't worth as much as complete, intact units.

It's why I said best offers are welcome as I have no idea what everything is worth!
EDIT: reduced the prices of most of the stuff in my listing. Tell me if anything's still overpriced.

Channel imbalance on my Argentum headphones detected. That or one of my ears is better than the other. Might be to do with the mismatched impedances of the Adastra drivers used. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #23,144 of 27,141
  It's why I said best offers are welcome as I have no idea what everything is worth!
EDIT: reduced the prices of most of the stuff in my listing. Tell me if anything's still overpriced.

Channel imbalance on my Argentum headphones detected. That or one of my ears is better than the other. Might be to do with the mismatched impedances of the Adastra drivers used. 

So bad that you spoil T20v2 driver with superglue, otherwise i'll buy for stock.
All past week every day I used to check my T20v2 with hope that it will start to work again :) And on the weekends I decided that on Tuesday i'll come to work and disassembly driver to find problem area and try to repair it...
And guess what? When I came I plug headphones in, but one side still was silent. With last hope I changed cable for other one (before try it many times), put headphones on my head and squeeze them  my ears. And they revived!! Some distortion for few seconds and then clear sound!! ))))) Now they working already for 3 days without problems.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #23,145 of 27,141

So bad that you spoil T20v2 driver with superglue, otherwise i'll buy for stock.
All past week every day I used to check my T20v2 with hope that it will start to work again :) And on the weekends I decided that on Tuesday i'll come to work and disassembly driver to find problem area and try to repair it...
And guess what? When I came I plug headphones in, but one side still was silent. With last hope I changed cable for other one (before try it many times), put headphones on my head and squeeze them  my ears. And they revived!! Some distortion for few seconds and then clear sound!! ))))) Now they working already for 3 days without problems.

Lucky you 
biggrin.gif
 I have another one coming probably next week, I hope I don't screw it up this time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back