Orthodynamic Roundup
May 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #23,072 of 27,146
  I think he got a vintage T20V2 with the circular driver, not the modern T20RP.
Oops I forgot about that rule, my bad. 

Oh, I have a question. Should I go for the Fostex T20V2 or the Yamaha HP/YH3?

I cant comment on the sound of a T20 because I have yet to listen to one but I will say All of the fostex phones are to large/bulky/hot and don't stay put so it's no good for portable use. The Yh-3 on the other hand is vary portable but i don't think it sounds as clear as any of my fostex hp's. They really serve different purposes but if you are just wanting to try out a orthodynamic hp the yh-3 is the cheapest you will find short of maybe some other vintage yamaha ortho you might happen to find on ebay.

If price isn't a big deal and you want something for at home then pickup T40rp.

May 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #23,073 of 27,146
  I cant comment on the sound of a T20 because I have yet to listen to one but I will say All of the fostex phones are to large/bulky/hot and don't stay put so it's no good for portable use. The Yh-3 on the other hand is vary portable but i don't think it sounds as clear as any of my fostex hp's. They really serve different purposes but if you are just wanting to try out a orthodynamic hp the yh-3 is the cheapest you will find short of maybe some other vintage yamaha ortho you might happen to find on ebay.

I already have tried the ortho sound; I'm quite familiar with it already but I wasn't impressed with the unfortunately bass-light YH-3 I previously bought that broke on me a month ago 
redface.gif
 I'm also debating whether to buy a HOK 80-2 on top of that; I can only afford two out of the three options.

May 29, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #23,074 of 27,146
May 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #23,075 of 27,146
  I already have tried the ortho sound; I'm quite familiar with it already but I wasn't impressed with the unfortunately bass-light YH-3 I previously bought that broke on me a month ago 
redface.gif
 I'm also debating whether to buy a HOK 80-2 on top of that; I can only afford two out of the three options.

Well after you get a T50(or T40)rp and do a little dampening mod plus replace the earpads your set, there really isn't any point in owning any other headphones except for portable use. No other sub $300 Ortho sounds as good. The lack the bass is because the foam dampening in a yh-3 will have turned to goo, i thought mine sounded like shi*t before replacing the stock foam dampening goo stuff. 

May 29, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #23,076 of 27,146
May 29, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #23,077 of 27,146

If price isn't a big deal and you want something for at home then pickup T40rp.

yh3/hp3 is portable but way too powerhungry for portable use. The only ortho I found suitable for running from portable gear is the sansui ssl55 so the ath 2 should be as well, tho I am pretty sure Sansui did something better with the stock config in the cups as I really love my but heard ath2's are quite not good without dampening.

How hungry my hp3 is? An ak120 on max volume setting barely made enough of it to be suitable for street use... really.

The SSL55 is good from my clip+... with not maxed out volume. While riding a bike in a capital city center.

May 29, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #23,078 of 27,146

In case anyone doesn't know about Faust3D's wikiphonia, it's a good resource.

Here for comparisons, descriptions, and rankings for many orthos.

I am aware of that website, I just thought that I'd ask for more opinions before pulling the trigger.
  Well after you get a T50(or T40)rp and do a little dampening mod plus replace the earpads your set, there really isn't any point in owning any other headphones except for portable use. No other sub $300 Ortho sounds as good. The lack the bass is because the foam dampening in a yh-3 will have turned to goo, i thought mine sounded like shi*t before replacing the stock foam dampening goo stuff. 

The lack of bass remained even after I performed multiple damping schemes to try and improve the bass. None of them worked and then the magnet of one of the drivers cracked so I had to give up after that point. 

May 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #23,079 of 27,146
  yh3/hp3 is portable but way too powerhungry for portable use. The only ortho I found suitable for running from portable gear is the sansui ssl55 so the ath 2 should be as well, tho I am pretty sure Sansui did something better with the stock config in the cups as I really love my but heard ath2's are quite not good without dampening.

How hungry my hp3 is? An ak120 on max volume setting barely made enough of it to be suitable for street use... really.

The SSL55 is good from my clip+... with not maxed out volume. While riding a bike in a capital city center.

Great so you suggest one of the rarest ortho's that none can ever find haha.

May 29, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #23,080 of 27,146
  I am aware of that website, I just thought that I'd ask for more opinions before pulling the trigger.
The lack of bass remained even after I performed multiple damping schemes to try and improve the bass. None of them worked and then the magnet of one of the drivers cracked so I had to give up after that point. 

Maybe ill take some pictures of what i used for dampening the yh-3. It might be possible to do more but i was happy with the results now if only the yh-3 fit my large ears.

May 29, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #23,081 of 27,146
  Great so you suggest one of the rarest ortho's that none can ever find haha.

bought one 2 weeks ago.

and we do know that the ath2 is quite same just needs some dampening work...

also it doesnt change the fact that 150ohm and 92 db sensitivity will not give you volumes high enough for street use with some very specific DAP exceptions. and as I said. AK120 failed...

May 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #23,082 of 27,146
This is the ortho thread after all so i think its a given that a amp be it portable or stationary is always required. The yh-3 does need higher gain, the most difficult ortho to drive that i have is the Russian made exo H-16-40c. Max gain and max volume on my o2 or e18 just barely reaches a good listening level. 

May 30, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #23,085 of 27,146
  Those look gorgeous. Nice work there. More pics. What pads are on those. More sound impressions?

The pads are custom handmade leather ones, like everything else in this headphones, actually 
smile.gif
 - custom woodwork, custom metal parts and heavily modified drivers of original TDS-15. The sound? Well, soundwise these ones smash HE-500, Focal Spirit Pros and LFF Paradox in terms of soundstage and details. Nice balance, pretty extended but not piercing highs, very low bass, nice vocals. Not the best choice for extreme metal genres but everything else sounds sooo right!

P.S. All credits for this work of art go to Sergey (snorry), not me :) , I'm just a happy customer :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back