Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 12, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #14,641 of 27,185

Quote:
Mind sharing where please?

If I can find I definitely will...  Hard to know if the web site I was given is even still up too.  The $25/pr ones will still be decent enough and we might get lucky and get great clones, but for the price, I'd be willing to try the two pair as committed earlier. 

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #14,643 of 27,185
Hey, I just got my Concept CE-H's that were shipped out on Thursday, which is totally sweet. Go USPS rangers! They're in all around good condition, and the pads are still fluffy...unlike the pads on my T20v2's. They're, like, totally comfy, and while I have some pleather DT700 pads, I'd consider going for something better. What do people typically stick on the the first and second tier Fosteces?

Would anyone wanna trade for a Fostex T20v1? The headband doesn't apply much pressure, and it's plastic, so I can't bend it in. Plus, it's got the same antler thing going on as with my Pro 30's...like, ewww!
rolleyes.gif

--Oh, I just had a thought: what is the value differential between the Concept CE-H's and a Fostex T30? I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I might be willing to do a plus-cash trade....if it's not too much cash....I realize we're talking collector's items, but I'd love to have one of those classics.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #14,644 of 27,185

Quote:
The swt pair definitely looks more sorted out and in line with what I would prefer. The two are very close actually, but that peak in the midrange worries me a bit. 

That 6-7kHz peak seem inherent to the driver or the implementation and Don has clearly tamed it to the best of his abilities. 

This was the thing that wualta also found objectionable in my TPs when it came around to him. It is there just like it is on swt's pair but looks like it is very hard to get past that.

I am however impressed with the low freq extension on Colin's pair, not that steve's pair is too far behind.

I do wonder why there is the change in isolation though after 3kHz. It seems to drop off completely on Colin's pair while it looks like there is some leakage in the high frequencies after 8kHz on swt's..kinda weird since they are both using same earpads. 

The peak you mention, which I did hear quite clearly on one of your pair is completely not evident on my stock pair of T50RP's, but I can't wait to "TP" them!

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #14,645 of 27,185
I don't recall hearing that peak on the T50RPs I've heard either, but I have tried to flatten out the odd Fostex here and there, and sometimes, once everything else is tamed and smoothed out, there'll be one nasty little spike left over, like a lump under a rug.

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #14,649 of 27,185

Quote:
^^ what..i want to take part in that loaner man..i want some of that gold deposited on my ear drums..instant audiophile upgrade 
very_evil_smiley.gif

So gold plated Bose instantly become audiophile grade? 
tongue.gif

I'll just wait for my LCD-2s and enjoy my vintage orthos and Thunderpants. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #14,651 of 27,185
Had a mini-headphone meet today locally. I went over to a friend who owns a nice tube preamp which has a transformer coupled output for headphones.He owns a HD650 & I took my DT880 600ohm & the orthos along.

First I tried the DT880 with his NAD CD player & pre amp & I was quite amazed with the improvement in imaging & separation shown by them.Then I plugged in my Yamaha cans,but unfortunately the amp did not have enough gain for the Yammies.
I , then, plugged in the NAD RP18 & they were absolutely beautiful. They were the best headphone of the meet by some distance.
I didn't like the HD650 much even though I didn't feel any 'veil' with them & the amp drove them effortlessly. The bass was one note & the the resolution was only average.

I was really looking forward to listening his magneplanar speakers when a power failure cut our meet short. :frowning2:

The meet confirmed the importance of a decent amp to me & I am gonna go the DIY route soon.

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #14,652 of 27,185
I don't know, man. Including my post, there were 27 posts, and narrowing out miscellaneous comments and foreign dogs, I got me into 19th place. So, there are those two compunctions: 1. do I qualify? 2. is it CONUS only? My fingers are tied in knotts!

Anybody with a T20v1 or T30 that would consider trades with or without cash for a pair of Concept CE-H?

If not, does anyone know how to get the CE-H removed from the headband? If you own one of the Grundigs, you can probably help too. I might be able to use my T20's headband on it, which would combine good looks with good comfort clamp.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #14,653 of 27,185
 You can remove the cups from the adjustable sides by taking the 2 small screws on the cup (1 on top and 1 on the bottom)
and taking off the nut that holds them onto the whole head band assembly. 

Is the outer headband just not tight enough for your head size? 

Quote:
I don't know, man. Including my post, there were 27 posts, and narrowing out miscellaneous comments and foreign dogs, I got me into 19th place. So, there are those two compunctions: 1. do I qualify? 2. is it CONUS only? My fingers are tied in knotts!

Anybody with a T20v1 or T30 that would consider trades with or without cash for a pair of Concept CE-H?

If not, does anyone know how to get the CE-H removed from the headband? If you own one of the Grundigs, you can probably help too. I might be able to use my T20's headband on it, which would combine good looks with good comfort clamp.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #14,654 of 27,185
Why hasn't Larry at headphile started tweaking orthos?  Or better yet, creating transplant customs with ortho drivers?  Seems like he's the first head-fier to start doing stuff like that and with his experience it seems he'd have at least marginaly good results, if not fantastic.  I guess it's a moot point though, considering what that would cost to purchase and the entrance of the LCD-2, which likely has better drivers than the vintage orthos if I'm not mistaken?

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #14,655 of 27,185
I tried that, and there are two washers behind it--one aluminum and one clear plastic?--but it didn't seem to want to come off, and I didn't want to accidentally break $80 like that. Do I just force it?

And, yeah. It's fine with the stock pads, but I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 pleather pads, and the headband doesn't squish them down enough. There's a noticeable boost to the bass and midrange when I press it against my head.

Quote:
 You can remove the cups from the adjustable sides by taking the 2 small screws on the cup (1 on top and 1 on the bottom)
and taking off the nut that holds them onto the whole head band assembly. 

Is the outer headband just not tight enough for your head size? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back