Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 30, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #11,161 of 27,141
Be careful with a certain AT ortho auction, looks like the seller has pictures of two different phones (look at the pad color). When I sent him a message questioning it he did not respond.

Edit: @BMF - I just need to get a drill press
wink.gif
. I will try that on a vice with a dremel as well.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #11,162 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful with a certain AT ortho auction, looks like the seller has pictures of two different phones (look at the pad color). When I sent him a message questioning it he did not respond.

Not just the pads, the outside of the cups as well. I didn't know it was sold with black cups and black pads as well as brown cups and brown pads. (Was it really? or is it something off with the pictures?)

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #11,164 of 27,141
i bet it's just a camera / lighting issue.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #11,166 of 27,141
Interesting. Radio Shack sold the visually identical headphone as the Pro 10. Ericj and I both have one (see post 9780 if you're interested), and they're unusually well-made but they're not orthos, they don't sound all that good, and unusual earpads thwart easy modding. It could be done, just not as simply and easily as with many other host 'phones.

Pro10-E.jpg

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #11,167 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i bet it's just a camera / lighting issue.

I thought about that but wasnt sure.

Edit: My attempts at filing down a 1/4 inch plug to turn it into a Pro 30 yoke failed. Will try with steel rod next.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #11,168 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what's there, is that sound any good?

Just got a chance to take a half decent listen to the KH-82. The stock pads had absolutely no stuffing, just flaps of disintegrating pleather, so I ripped them off and placed a set of T20v2 pads in their stead. Wow, they actually sound pretty decent like this, though if I turn them up too much with an extremely bassy song with lots of energy in the lowest frequencies, they really start distorting badly. I wonder if this is the elecrets, or the small SUTs?

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #11,169 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I wonder if this is the elecrets, or the small SUTs?

Could be either or both, but as we found with F2D, it could also be an amp that doesn't like the load presented by a 'stat.

Definitely a cool-looking headphone, though.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #11,170 of 27,141
Hey - as I've written recently before, I am brand new to old genre Orthodynamics. My first pair being Yamaha HP-2s purchased from Sachu who did a marvellous job balancing and damping them - a marvellous set of cans. I have a pair of Yamaha YH-1s coming in and would like some advice as to how to mod these properly. I am a newbie and am quite anxious and hesitant as I have never modded headphones before. So if I can be directed to a thread or given some pretty simplistic easy to follow instructions I would appreciate.
Also, I have a pair of Fostex T-7's - are these orthos? and how could I tell?

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #11,171 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a chance to take a half decent listen to the KH-82. The stock pads had absolutely no stuffing, just flaps of disintegrating pleather, so I ripped them off and placed a set of T20v2 pads in their stead. Wow, they actually sound pretty decent like this, though if I turn them up too much with an extremely bassy song with lots of energy in the lowest frequencies, they really start distorting badly. I wonder if this is the elecrets, or the small SUTs?

Cool!
Is that a good strong amp you are using? My power hungry Dual distorts horribly if I turn the volume up on my weaker amps.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #11,172 of 27,141
The T-5 and T-7 are dynamics, and who knows, they might sound great-- I haven't heard 'em myself. They don't even show up on the Fostex USA site anymore, though they're still on the international site.

There are at least a couple of sets of instructions on doing the basic modification to a YH-1. Member GuyMe did a pretty good one here.

Do the basic mod, see if it moves the headphone in the direction you want, then consider going mad with the other tweaks and mods. Don't go for the Ultimate Mod right away.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #11,173 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by satshanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have already read the instructions for (dis)assembly on the Wiki, and I've used the search function to read some posts on these cans, so when I have some time I'll perform some surgery, recable them while I'm at it (the HOK comes with a DIN-plug, for which I fortunately have an adapter, and the Dual has an inbuilt volume control, so that in itself might improve the sound for both of them), and see if I can add some felt and reflect discs and what not. I must admit I'm not quite clear on what best to do.

I've read that DAC has already experimented with the Dual and some posts hint at modifications, but I didn't manage to locate them. Would someone mind and give me some brief overview or some tips on what you have found to be the sweet spot for both these headphones, so I don't need to reinvent the wheel so to speak? That would be great.

The Dual is mod-friendly compared to the HOK. The HOK is difficult to get right, and so far I have not found any mod that (to my opinion) makes it sound as good as the Dual. The HOK has a bit weak bass, and the baffle is full of holes. You need to seal the holes in the baffle, and seal the driver to the baffle, and you need pads with a lot of thick leather that seals the bass in and out. Then you will probably want to play a bit with damping of the driver, reflex dots / reflex strips, and damping of the vents.

The Dual is easier to work with. But there is the issue with the ruined pads. You will need new ones to get all the deep bass it can deliver. Also this one needs thick leather around the foam or whatever you use inside, two layers of lambskin or similar will probably do the trick. If you just repair the pads you got with it, you will most likely not enjoy the weak treble. You need pads that do not cover the driver (the stock pads do) to tune the treble.

When the pads are done, I'd start out with damping the vents with surgical tape. Then try it and se how you like it. There is already a thick damping disc on the driver.

Since we have only opened one Dual up, check what driver there is inside. It should be identical to the photos I posted on the wiki, but one never knows.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #11,175 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC, how are you liking the Eagle? And is it some OEM of the Sawafuji SF-16?

It's probably not identical to the Sawafuji SF-16, since the Eagle uses the 8 ohm driver, and the SF-16 supposedly uses the 120 ohm driver. Strange actually, since they look identical.

At the moment (stock, with blutak to seal the driver to the baffle), the Eagle has a sad face response, with lack both of deep bass and highs. I suspect / hope that the crappy pads are to blame for the bass problem. It could also be that the 8 ohm driver is not an ideal friend with my amplifiers. There are plenty of ortho tricks left in the bag, so I'm not worried yet. But stock, it sounds unamazing to me. The headset itself has the advantage of the cone that reflects the backwave out of the cups, but a drawback is that there is then less room for damping materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back