Orthodynamic Roundup
May 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #10,666 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Under the plates, the magnets are the same ol' isotropic sintered ferrite. The only quickie way to tell for sure is to watch for the smoothness and slight olive-green color of the metal plates as compared to the rougher dead-grey surface (with telltale milling marks) of the naked ferrite.

But yes, it would be ideal if we had someone who owned both. We have to get you and/or JadeEast to borrow a normal HP-1.

Thanx, now i am sure i got Anisotropic drivers ! :)

May 23, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #10,668 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some Monsoon MM700 speakers on the way. They are a gift for a friend but I will play with them a bit first ;0

EDIT: Awrk. I read this as "gift FROM a friend". So consider this unasked-for advice to the friend:

The 700 has good isodynamic satellites but the woofer box (which includes a 3 channel amp and an electronic crossover) is below par. For the price, you can't complain. Make sure you get the power supply.

If you're a good little DIYer you can extract the amp/crossover and woofer and replant it in something more sophisticated. Meanwhilst, you can do some nearfield experiments and get amazing imaging effects.

Heck, while you're at it, toss the woofer box, get a nice little woofer, stick it in a bandpass box, then fab up a beefy 3-channel amp and crossover, set the handoff at 200 Hz and go for the gusto.

May 23, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #10,669 of 27,171
Hey there guys,

Just made a set of SFI 32ohm Orthos in a Sony CD10 frame (sealed pads, close driver placement, closed headphone). Did the felt on the back and damped the mounting heavily using modling clay with the back of the cup damped with damping foam.

I am suprised just how warm these sound. I was also expecting the soundstage to be much less. They actually sound as good as my modded ESW9's (just need more detail). Great with vocals and strings.

These will be going to my BF so he will have something better than his Sony 7506's and something more musical. Dang, kind of don't want to give them up. He doesn't know anyway....

May 24, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #10,670 of 27,171
congrats G , good to hear of another successful SFI mod - I still use mine regularly and really love the detail and sense of space that they project. They are also one of the bassiest orthos I own .

post a few pics so we can all see what yer on about..dB

May 24, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #10,673 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I wonder how many there are left..

He had hundreds when I bought my 40 a couple months ago. He was going to let me know when he got down to only 50 pairs of each left...

And in other news, thanks to malldian, I will have T20 drivers soon so I can do a comparison of the T10 vs. T20 drivers in the Kenwoods. Whichever do not sound the best on the Kenwoods, will go into custom woodies so I can use O2 leather pads.

The last block of wood came in yesterday, so I picked it up along with a piece of purpleheart out of the cutoffs bin. $3/pound for the purpleheart put it at about $7.50 for a 2x6x6 piece. It will be my practice block. LOL! It has a crack in the upper section, but I should still be able to get 2 or 3 pairs of cups out of it, or two and enough material for a "Y" block and tips on Grado headphones. I was busy on Honey-Do projects so no chance for pics yet...

May 24, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #10,674 of 27,171
well I still have a set of SFI's waiting for a home so you know what you can do with that practice block
wink.gif

I am very much looking forward to seeing the fruits of all your labour - not to mention the fine product that will evolve ..dB

May 24, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #10,675 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I still have a set of SFI's waiting for a home so you know what you can do with that practice block
wink.gif

I am very much looking forward to seeing the fruits of all your labour - not to mention the fine product that will evolve ..dB

Cool. I'll try very hard not to destroy it.
tongue.gif
Planning to make the Y-block regardless and the pucks will be sized to fit Grado hangers at 55mm OD, so the tips are just a natural extension too. I might have enough material to trim off 1/2" thick piece that can go the full 3" wide and square to allow for a bass lens/pad adapter for R10/ESW9 sized pads too (but SQ trials will be done in poplar or other cheap wood first).

Once they're done, I'll have to run them over to my buddy's place to round over the outer edge of the puck and inner edges on the lens on a router table. Probably 1/8"-3/8" radius max.

Also, blackwood is newly available and on sale to boot, so a bloc of that is going on order on Tues.
beerchug.gif

Edit: I'd like to make the bass lens screw mounted to the puck, but the brass inserts are too big and risk major tear out. What do you guys think of the idea of drilling a 5/16" or so hole in the puck, then filling it with JB Weld or Magnum Steel epoxy putty in order to drill and tap that for 4-40 or 6-32 screws? I can groove the ID of the drill hole to give the epoxy more are to bite and keep the plug from pulling out too.

May 24, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #10,676 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whichever do not sound the best on the Kenwoods, will go into custom woodies so I can use O2 leather pads.

Any chance you could measure the dimensions of the 02 pads when you have a spare moment or when you get ready for your custom?

May 24, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #10,677 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance you could measure the dimensions of the 02 pads when you have a spare moment or when you get ready for your custom?

I'll have to defer that to cetoole, I haven't ordered mine yet...

May 24, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #10,678 of 27,171
Yeah, I have been thinking of using a fake ESW9 with T50RP or or 120ohm SFI.

If someone has a set of 120 SFI drivers, please let me know.

Make some portable orthos as the next step. There is just something that frustrates me about the ESW9. I think it is the amount of hours and effort I have put into them and the realization that the drivers just can't go any further. My recabled custom IEMs are more detailed.

Based on how these sound, I definitely want to make a portable ortho that looks good.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the ESW9.

Plus, it seems like a lot of headphone drivers can sound artificially detailed. Some of these setups and headphones sound better and more deatiled than the real thing. The thing about these little orthos is that they don't really sound artificial at all which a similar experience to what I have with my planar speakers (in storage because they require a sub and I do not have the space). Stax are also great , but they can create a bit of an echoy or sometimes otherworldly kind of sound. Well, nothing is perfect.

Still, shoot me a PM.

May 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #10,679 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I have been thinking of using a fake ESW9 with T50RP or or 120ohm SFI.

If someone has a set of 120 SFI drivers, please let me know.

Make some portable orthos as the next step. There is just something that frustrates me about the ESW9. I think it is the amount of hours and effort I have put into them and the realization that the drivers just can't go any further. My recabled custom IEMs are more detailed.

Based on how these sound, I definitely want to make a portable ortho that looks good.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the ESW9.

Plus, it seems like a lot of headphone drivers can sound artificially detailed. Some of these setups and headphones sound better and more deatiled than the real thing. The thing about these little orthos is that they don't really sound artificial at all which a similar experience to what I have with my planar speakers (in storage because they require a sub and I do not have the space). Stax are also great , but they can create a bit of an echoy or sometimes otherworldly kind of sound. Well, nothing is perfect.

Still, shoot me a PM.

So are you wanting to fosterphone your ESW9s? Or you just want the 120ohm drivers and wood pucks for a similar look using ESW9 pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back