Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 17, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #15,361 of 27,137

Quote:
Analogue sound.  That's what it is.  Orthodynamics have a genuine analogue sound, with all the precision of digital.  When I keep switching cans...the HD650s come of more...digital sounding.  These HD650s are renowned for sounding tube like.  Ortho's don't sound tube like...they sound analogue.  Period.x

Nice pull, that's what I get with the LCD-2's. With the Audeze and tube amplification, headphonia has finally come of age, imo

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #15,363 of 27,137
that's so wicked Don
smily_headphones1.gif
I love it.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #15,364 of 27,137

Quote:
Not so much a kit as momo offering a spare set

Not so much a headphone mod but I decided to make a stand with some driftwood that I picked up in Oregon  - now my zebs have a place to hang out.

..dB

awesome stuffs Don..

those old school wood carving headphone stand and wooded amp remind me of the furnitures in flinstone movie
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #15,367 of 27,137
This wacko suggestion belongs more properly in the Thunderpants thread. But yes, rock. You'll get the macho neck-muscle strengthening experience that separates the bulls from the calves, and have a headphone with the resonance properties of a headstone. Something to think about.
Don, how's it feel to be literally surrounded by beer?

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #15,368 of 27,137
Beer?? fornicating in a row boat , homeopathy ...... many more descriptives but beer?
very_evil_smiley.gif
..dB

edit - humble pie time

Just got back from a tour of the Sprecher brewery - they do in fact make great beer in Milwaukee  -  the Oktober, Belgian, IPA, Piper - all tasted really good. Now I am not a soda drinker but these sodas are truly world class. Glad I took the kids request up to go and try their wares!!

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #15,369 of 27,137
Going for that rocky canyon reverb in your headphones? Could be interesting...

Better yet, use a geode on each side. That's geode, not geodude.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #15,370 of 27,137
A geode cup sounds nice and sparkly. Maybe an abalone shell for a lightweight portable version.

EDIT: Looks good, Don. I wonder if we have Sprecher products over here, directly across the Big Lake...

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #15,371 of 27,137
Geodes would be better if they were pretty on the outside, rather than the inside.

I guess at least you could hit people with them when they laughed at you.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #15,372 of 27,137
Or heatbutt them!

(... earbutting? that just sounds weird...)

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #15,373 of 27,137
The interior of a geode cup would resemble in miniature the wedges of an anechoic chamber, acting as a diffusor, breaking up reflections without having to absorb all of them (which is impossible anyway). Not a bad idea, easily molded into a standard driver cup. I've never seen anything but smooth cup interiors, though, many with parallel walls. Possible opportunity for a low-cost improvement in the closed-cup category.

I was going to attempt a joke about the ear appreciating the sparkly interior of a geode cup in the same way that ears are supposed to appreciate frequencies outside the range of human hearing (if ultrasonics, why not color?), but never mind.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #15,374 of 27,137

I'm not an expert on physics or sound science, but is that really the goal of closed headphones?  Surely, if the ideal was to create an inner chamber that would absorb as much sound as possible, then manufacturers would have tried something along those lines before.  
Quote:
The interior of a geode cup would resemble in miniature the wedges of an anechoic chamber, acting as a diffusor, breaking up reflections without having to absorb all of them (which is impossible anyway). Not a bad idea, easily molded into a standard driver cup. I've never seen anything but smooth cup interiors, though, many with parallel walls. Possible opportunity for a low-cost improvement in the closed-cup category.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #15,375 of 27,137
It's the goal if you have an open dipole driver as in stats and orthos. You've got to do something with the back output, since we know that uncontrolled reflection back through the driver doesn't sound good. You can reflect it outward, as in the Eagle 4300, or downward, as in the Marantz SE-1 'stat, but you have to deal with it somehow, and if the headphone is to be truly closed, not just vented-closed, this means an acoustic absorbent, plus, we'd like to think, something that will randomize the reflections and make them take longer paths.

It's just a thought experiment at the moment. Only Smeggy would be eccentric enough to follow through with this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back