Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #15,257 of 27,141
Just got some HP-1 I won on ebay - such a massive improvement to the HP-50S (from memory - I broke a wire on those months ago and haven't got around to trying to fix it yet).

Damping scheme I went for was blutac on the back wall of the cups (this also completely killed the squeaking of the ball joint), stock little felt bits left at the side, stock foam pushing some felt for the back of the driver firmly in place, driver sealed to the baffle with a thin, thin, thin line of blutac.

Sound pretty fantastic at the first attempt.

I've read Sennheiser HD25 velours fit these pretty well - any impressions?

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #15,258 of 27,141
Nice
dt880smile.png

So what's better with the HP-1? (I have only heard the HP50)

Quote:
Just got some HP-1 I won on ebay - such a massive improvement to the HP-50S (from memory - I broke a wire on those months ago and haven't got around to trying to fix it yet).

Damping scheme I went for was blutac on the back wall of the cups (this also completely killed the squeaking of the ball joint), stock little felt bits left at the side, stock foam pushing some felt for the back of the driver firmly in place, driver sealed to the baffle with a thin, thin, thin line of blutac.

Sound pretty fantastic at the first attempt.

I've read HS25 velours fit these pretty well - any impressions?

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #15,259 of 27,141
I've heard there are different variants of the HP50S - the one I had were seriously bassy, I mean tough to control bassy. The HP-1 took ten minutes and one attempt to sound great. The HP-50S took a lot of work to start sounding really nice. The annoying thing is I'd just about got it right when the driver fell off the edge of the armchair I was in and a wire snapped! But even with the bass sorted (this is all from memory rather than direct comparrison) the HP-1 has better separation, better clarity, and is smoother.

It's just more to my tastes, although when I do finally fix the 50S it'll be good to do a direct comparrison.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #15,260 of 27,141
This makes me a bit interested in the HP-1.... I never really loved the HP50, even though it had very nice mids and overall balance after the euro wing felt damping scheme. I still preferred the PMB sound. I regret a bit that I sold the Dual actually, it sounded very nice after my countless hours of trying different damping schemes.

Quote:
I've heard there are different variants of the HP50S - the one I had were seriously bassy, I mean tough to control bassy. The HP-1 took ten minutes and one attempt to sound great. The HP-50S took a lot of work to start sounding really nice. The annoying thing is I'd just about got it right when the driver fell off the edge of the armchair I was in and a wire snapped! But even with the bass sorted (this is all from memory rather than direct comparrison) the HP-1 has better separation, better clarity, and is smoother.

It's just more to my tastes, although when I do finally fix the 50S it'll be good to do a direct comparrison.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #15,264 of 27,141
Time for a few more adventures in the real ortho world, all this excitement over the "New Order" has seemed to take some of the wind out of my favourite of all places on the web.

I have been working on a pair of Wharfedale Isodynamic drivers and have them in pieces

If there is any information or imaging someone has a desire for - now is the time. I will soon be re-assembling the drivers and hopefully restoring them to their owner for further enjoyment. This exercise has affirmed one thing for me - it is not difficult to make this type of driver and there is most definitely no rocket science to the assembly. Just simple genius!

..dB

EDIT - pics added

this socket takes a sennheiser plug perfectly

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #15,265 of 27,141

Quote:
Time for a few more adventures in the real ortho world, all this excitement over the "New Order" has seemed to take some of the wind out of my favourite of all places on the web.

I have been working on a pair of Wharfedale Isodynamic drivers and have them in pieces

If there is any information or imaging someone has a desire for - now is the time. I will soon be re-assembling the drivers and hopefully restoring them to their owner for further enjoyment. This exercise has affirmed one thing for me - it is not difficult to make this type of driver and there is most definitely no rocket science to the assembly. Just simple genius!

..dB

EDIT - pics added

this socket takes a sennheiser plug perfectly

nice pictures dB..i thought you own one of this kind as well? i read somewhere that you have wharfie zebra..
smile_phones.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #15,267 of 27,141
tunarat was over at my place earlier and he tried out all 3 headphones, Tps, Wharfie Zebs and LCD-2..He of course liked the LCD-2 best, but was astonished at how good the Wharfie zebs sounded ...Wharfedale Isodynamic FTW!!..sure is no rocket science to the driver there Don except i guess the kapton part which was suposedly at the time derived from NASA for the diaphragm.  :D

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #15,268 of 27,141
Hi guys,  new to the thread here.  I am curious to try some orthodynamics after the success of the LCD2s.

Should I purchase these ones:

T20RP V2
Yamaha HP1

Both these are in good nick and can be had cheaply...is it worthwhile trying out the new T50RP MK2s?

How do you guys feel about these stock and mod potential.  (sorry guys, I didn't read through the thread!)

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #15,269 of 27,141
^^ya, those are good cans for starting.Both of them sound decent stock & if modded well can stand up to almost any dynamic cans.
Just don't expect to have a soundstage like LCD-2 though.
The yammies are a easier to get right IME but there are a few who swear by these fostexen.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #15,270 of 27,141
Don shouldn't worry about this thread losing some steam. After all, one of the main ideas of the thread was to maintain a vigil til the Ortho Second Coming, which has, in preliminary, proof-of-concept form, arrived, as LCD-2 owner SP Wild here will attest. I'm still waiting for someone, doesn't matter who as long as they're well-capitalized, to truly mass-produce audiophile-quality orthos, not necessarily halo or flagship models, for the mainstream, just as Yamaha and PMB did back in the day. Then the Day Of The Ortho will have truly arrived.
Hey, it could happen.
But meanwhile, there's still Cheap Ortho Fun (aka Vintage Ortho Fun) to be had. Perhaps prices will moderate somewhat and an HP-1 will ease back down to below $100 again. We can but hope.
SP, go for the T20v2. You'll have endless fun driving yourself mental as you get sucked into the urge to "perfect" it.
Note that a T20v2 will not say "T20RP" anywhere on it, although the RP logo will show up, highly stylized, molded into the cup. Just remember the rule: if you pay too much, your expectations will be too high and you'll crash and burn. Get a T20v2 for $45, make it sound like something that cost 5 times that, and you'll feel good about yourself. This is the Spirit of Wharfedale, who created an essential, no-frills state-of-the-art headphone back in 1972 (see above) and sold it for 20 pounds a copy. Not simple genius; rather, genius simplicity. They sold a headphone that far exceeded the expectations engendered by the modest pricetag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back