OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jun 13, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,472 of 4,883
I just received my HA-2 today primarily for use with my LG G2. The 2 devices are exactly the same size and the LG usb output works perfectly with the HA-2.

Prior to ordering, I called Oppo customer service and asked if the HA-2 would also work with my Google Chromebook and my Xubuntu 14.04 Linux computer via the usb outputs of each. They said neither would work with the HA-2.

Despite this rather discouraging information, I decided to give it a try with both my Chromebook and Linux OS computer. Both worked perfectly! I am pleased that I now have a multi-purpose device that I can use with all of my primary music sources. Unfortunately, it is not recognized by my DX-90 although I can use it via line-out to line-in. I haven't done enough testing to tell whether the HA-2 amp is an improvement over the DX-90 internal amp. Time will tell.

Bottom line is: Don't be discouraged by Oppo's rather negative answers to technical inquiries as their replies to my inquiries were incorrect.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,473 of 4,883
I just received my HA-2 today primarily for use with my LG G2. The 2 devices are exactly the same size and the LG usb output works perfectly with the HA-2.

Prior to ordering, I called Oppo customer service and asked if the HA-2 would also work with my Google Chromebook and my Xubuntu 14.04 Linux computer via the usb outputs of each. They said neither would work with the HA-2.

Despite this rather discouraging information, I decided to give it a try with both my Chromebook and Linux OS computer. Both worked perfectly! I am pleased that I now have a multi-purpose device that I can use with all of my primary music sources. Unfortunately, it is not recognized by my DX-90 although I can use it via line-out to line-in. I haven't done enough testing to tell whether the HA-2 amp is an improvement over the DX-90 internal amp. Time will tell.

Bottom line is: Don't be discouraged by Oppo's rather negative answers to technical inquiries as their replies to my inquiries were incorrect.

I'm pretty sure they just say no because they personally haven't verified it themselves and can't promise it would work.  So they are really just covering themselves so you don't come back and get pissed at them for saying it might work.  It's common practice w/ electronics as only "certain" phones or whatever are tested to work.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #1,475 of 4,883
I have different chargers at home and at work. I also don't want to leave the 5A charger at home because I'm afraid someone at my house might use it for a device that doesn't support 5A on accident not knowing. So rather leave 5A charger in my office.

The 'smart' part about modern USB charging method is that the device only draws as much current as it needs where the charger only supplies as much current as the device is asking for, or until it reaches its maximum output power. Saying it is capable of 5A doesn't actually mean it is outputting 5A blindly all the time. It is much more clever than that, and more so with Oppo's VOOC.

Have a read: http://www.oppo.com/en/promotion/vooc

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,476 of 4,883
I have different chargers at home and at work. I also don't want to leave the 5A charger at home because I'm afraid someone at my house might use it for a device that doesn't support 5A on accident not knowing. So rather leave 5A charger in my office.

You can take a 50 amp 5 volt supply and connect a device that only will "draw" 1 amp at 5 volts and cause no harm. Keep that term "draw" in mind. Another good term is "pull"... the supply will not give a device any more current than it "pulls".
Voltage is different. Being the drive or push or pressure part of the equation, if you go over the device rating, it can cause damage.

If you read the linked piece by Oppo, beyond the above rules of electricity, the VooC charger requires intelligence on both sides, the device and charger to ever get to fast charge mode. It also requires the provided 7 pin USB cable. Otherwise it will perform like any other 2.1 amp charger.

You have nothing to worry about!

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,477 of 4,883

The 'smart' part about modern USB charging method is that the device only draws as much current as it needs where the charger only supplies as much current as the device is asking for, or until it reaches its maximum output power. Saying it is capable of 5A doesn't actually mean it is outputting 5A blindly all the time. It is much more clever than that, and more so with Oppo's VOOC.

Have a read: http://www.oppo.com/en/promotion/vooc

Thanks, I thought the Cell phone oppo was a different company.  Yet they have the same charger?

You can take a 50 amp 5 volt supply and connect a device that only will "draw" 1 amp at 5 volts and cause no harm. Keep that term "draw" in mind. Another good term is "pull"... the supply will not give a device any more current than it "pulls".
Voltage is different. Being the drive or push or pressure part of the equation, if you go over the device rating, it can cause damage.

If you read the linked piece by Oppo, beyond the above rules of electricity, the VooC charger requires intelligence on both sides, the device and charger to ever get to fast charge mode. It also requires the provided 7 pin USB cable. Otherwise it will perform like any other 2.1 amp charger.

You have nothing to worry about!

Thanks, Yeah I get it now.  Like plugging in a smaller 110v 1A device into a 20A outlet vs a 15A outlet won't harm it.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #1,478 of 4,883

Thanks, I thought the Cell phone oppo was a different company.  Yet they have the same charger?

Thanks, Yeah I get it now.  Like plugging in a smaller 110v 1A device into a 20A outlet vs a 15A outlet won't harm it.

yes, they are different companies with different headquarters, different management, and different staff.

OPPO Electronics Corp. is a Chinese electronics manufacturer based in DongguanGuangdongprovinceChina. Its major product lines include MP3 playersportable media players, LCD-TVs,eBooksDVD/Blu-ray Disc players and smartphones[1] Founded in 2004, the company has registered the OPPO brand name in many parts of the world.

OPPO Digital Inc., is a completely independent operation that has licensed the OPPO brand name. They are based in Mountain View, California United States. It is known for its universal upconvertingDVD and Blu-ray Disc players.

OPPO Digital Inc. was founded in California in 2004.[2] Their first product was the OPPO OPDV971H Up-Converting Universal DVD Player.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppo_Electronics

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,479 of 4,883

This seems to be the case... different companies, but I think, somehow related .
The fast charge technology used for the HA-2 seems to be shared. A line from the description of the HA2 on the US Oppo web page "The HA-2 features patented VOOC rapid charging technology from OPPO."  Meaning that the description of the system on the cell phone Oppo page should be quite close to describing what the HA-2 uses. If it is patented, Audio Oppo is undoubtedly paying to use it...and the name VOOC.
I guess they could have used the Qualcomm Quick Charge technology... maybe got a better deal form their cousins.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,480 of 4,883

yes, they are different companies with different headquarters, different management, and different staff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppo_Electronics

Not really. Oppo Digital is more like a subsidiary of Oppo. Oppo setup Oppo Digital in USA to handle the company's AV business and R&D (as Western market is where Oppo AV business is focused on), where Oppo's smartphone business is handled by the main company back home. That doesn't mean they are two different companies. The whole story is actually on Oppo's Chinese website.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #1,481 of 4,883
And if they weren't related, one would have sued the other by now.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #1,482 of 4,883
Well feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but I am pretty sure that OPPO is just a brand name. parent company is bbk electronics. BBK Electronics to Oppo Digital and Oppo Electronics is similar to Luxottica to Ray Ban and Oakley.

You can't buy or get support on Wayfarers from Oakley, just like you can't buy/get support on the HA-2 from Oppo Electronics. From the consumer experience, basically unrelated companies. They just share a common umbrella company has a controlling interest in both subsidiaries. The subsidiary companies do operate independently. Oppo Electronics & Oppo Digital have separate stocks.

Maybe Walt Disney Corp holding ESPN and Disney Channel might be a better analogy as the Disney brand name is shared between the parent and subsidiary. Oppo Digital is licensed to be able to use the Oppo brand name.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,483 of 4,883
  Well feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but I am pretty sure that OPPO is just a brand name. parent company is bbk electronics. BBK Electronics to Oppo Digital and Oppo Electronics is similar to Luxottica to Ray Ban and Oakley.

You can't buy or get support on Wayfarers from Oakley, just like you can't buy/get support on the HA-2 from Oppo Electronics. From the consumer experience, basically unrelated companies. They just share a common umbrella company has a controlling interest in both subsidiaries. The subsidiary companies do operate independently. Oppo Electronics & Oppo Digital have separate stocks.

Maybe Walt Disney Corp holding ESPN and Disney Channel might be a better analogy as the Disney brand name is shared between the parent and subsidiary. Oppo Digital is licensed to be able to use the Oppo brand name.

That is another common misconception to think that BBK is the parent company of Oppo.

To know both companies, you need to know a person first - the BBK founder (*and BBK owns the smartphone brand Vivo btw). After successfully bringing BBK to become a major electronics brand in China, he retired from BBK in early 2000s, then immigrated to USA (though still a board member and a major stock holder). Oppo's co-founder and current CEO was, at the time, a senior manager in one of BBK division - but he quitted the job, went to the US and persuaded BBK founder to invest in a new startup which later becomes Oppo as we know it. I believe some BBK employees also left BBK for Oppo as well. Now those are really the connection between BBK and Oppo - that some of the senior Oppo enployees used to work for BBK and both companies shared a founder (in the case of Oppo, it is more like an angel investor). But beyond that, neither company owns any stock of the other company and therefore they are totally independent of each other. Now here is another funny story - OnePlus actually shares a similar start that its CEO is also an ex-Oppo emplyee and the company is also invested by the same BBK founder. In fact, I have read interview of Vivo operating manager denying any relationship between the two companies when he was asked the question.

Another thing - If you dig into Oppo Digital's company detail - you will find that it is actually registered in California on very early 2004, same time when Oppo is officially formed in China. To me, it is the same group of people who own both companies but decided that calling it 'licensing' and having two separated business registration on two places is easier for daily operation. This is pretty much the same trick Alibaba did a few month ago when they start listing on NYSE. If you know Chinese's law on business, you won't be surprised why they did what they did.

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,484 of 4,883
@ClieOS, thanks for the informative posting. lol I actually remember the controversy with OnePlus where there was confusion whether they were a wholly owned subsidiary or not. I think you are probably right with your conclusion.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,485 of 4,883
I just barely received the package here at work!  I am now officially in the HA-2 owner's club.  I am about to go on lunch break, so I will be fiddling with it and plugging it into my iPhone 6+ to test it out.  I'll have to wait to really give it a listen when I get back home to my PM-1.

Just wanted to post my enthusiasm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back