OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread

1. HasturTheYellow
    HA-220vertical.jpg

​
    OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC
    OPPO HA-2 User Manual
     ​

Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice.
    General
    Dimensions (W x H x D)2.5 x 6.2 x 0.5 inches, 68 x 157 x 12 mm
    Weight6.2 oz, 175 grams
    Frequency Response20 Hz - 200 kHz
    Audio-in Level1 Vrms
    Line-out Level1 Vrms @ 0 dBFS
    Recommended Headphone Impedance16 Ohm - 300 Ohm
    Maximum Headphone Output Power300 mW into 16 Ohm
    220 mW into 32 Ohm
    30 mW into 300 Ohm
    Output Jacks3.5 mm stereo headphone
    3.5 mm stereo line-out
    Input PortsAnalog: 3.5 mm stereo audio-in
    Digital: USB A for iPod / iPhone / iPad; USB micro-B for smartphones with USB OTG feature and computers.
    DAC ChipESS Sabre[sup]32[/sup] Reference ES9018-K2M
    Input FormatStereo PCM, Stereo DSD (DoP v1.1 or native)
    PCM Sampling Frequencies44.1 kHz  -  384 kHz, 16 / 24 / 32-bit
    DSD Sampling Frequencies2.8224 MHz (DSD64), 5.6448 MHz (DSD128), 11.2896 MHz (DSD256, native mode only)
    ProfileUSB 2.0, USB Audio 2.0
    Battery
    Built-in Battery type3000 mAh lithium polymer rechargeable battery
    Battery Operation TimeApprox. 13 hours for analog source via Audio-in; approx. 7 hours for digital sources via USB
    Charging TimeApprox. 1 hour 30 minutes
    Audio-inFrequencySweep-Normal.png
    Normal: No bass boost applied. The frequency response is flat.

Audio-inFrequencySweep-BassBoost.png
    Bass Boost: Bass boost is turned on. Low frequency band gets a boost.

Audio-inFrequencySweep-BassBoostDetail.png
    Bass Boost Detail: Bass frequency below 100 Hz gets about 5dB boost. The boost gradually decreases from 100Hz to about 500Hz where it reaches the normal non-boosted level.

Now that the HA-2 has been officially launched as of this afternoon (February 20th, 2015) I thought it would be appropriate to start a new discussions thread that was originally started in the Sponsors Forum when we revealed the HA-2 and the PM-3 to the public for the first time at the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival in 2014.

All those who have beta tested the HA-2, we thank you, and we hope that you will contribute immensely to on the HeadFi forums. Your NDAs are over, so if you had any tribulations about posting, don't. Post to your heart's contentment.

Nevi, RockStar2005, billtboys and 2 others like this.
  2. gerelmx1986
    I will buy it for sure let me firts get cash, you meant 20th february 2015 right?
    not 2014

Bong Hollywodd likes this.
  3. kawaivpc1
    20hz to 200kHz!

That's pretty impressive frequency response.
    It can cover the real 24bit 192kHz files.

When can we see this on Amazon?
    how does it sound? Does it worth $299?

4. x RELIC x Contributor

You realize that 16/44.1 can cover the same frequency range as 24/192. Even 20hz to 200kHz (though you can't hear over 20kHz unless you're a dog).

The bit rate/sampling rate is not a measure of frequency range.

5. IAMBLEST
    mine has just shipped which is great. now waiting for the PM3 to be listed so i can get those!

6. HasturTheYellow
    Soon. Soon.

7. IAMBLEST
    You should post what you wrote to me about using PayPal to order if you are an international customer. The website might put some people off from UK or other parts of the world.

8. Harris
    We had the pleasure of hearing the HA-2 during CES in January, and both of us thought it a superb unit. The leather covering reminds me of a vintage Jaguar, feels great, isn't flashy, but secure and luxurious. The controls were solid and well-machined, and we listened to the upcoming PM-3's with it. Even with AAC files on an iPhone6+, the difference between the iPhones audio section and the HA-2 was instantly discernible, with dynamics, texture, and soundstage all significantly improved. 

When we heard the HA-2 attached to a MacBook Pro with lossless and high-res audio, the PM-3s really kicked into gear. We only had a short time, so a longer review will be forthcoming, but compared to other units I've tried, the HA-2 seemed a serious contender. The build quality was really interesting, with a bit of a vintage feel, yet housing serious firepower. I think that the PM-3 (very portable), and the and HA-2 is going to quickly become a portable dream team for many folks. We worked with final, pre-production models, so looking forward to the actual production run units. 

9. kawaivpc1
    The other products in this price range are Geek Out 1000 and Beyerdynamic A200.

10. IAMBLEST
    Oppo make the best user manuals in the world bar none

RockStar2005 likes this.
  11. shigzeo Contributor
    I'm very pleased by what Oppo have done. Got a by ch of pretty pictures of it plus a few words of praise (and caution) up here.

EDIT: I can't believe it costs 300$. Way too much machine for that.

snapple10 and NZheadcase like this.
  12. NZheadcase

Nice read. When's the full review due? [​IMG]

Can't wait. This one is definitely in my radar.

13. feverfive
    Geez, just what I need...another portable audio gizmo.  LMAO....I'll probably get one once available through Amazon/B&H Photo.

14. palermo
    damn that price [​IMG] even FiiO can't compete entirely, especially design. 

15. IAMBLEST
    This may sound stupid, but if I attach my OPPO phone to this amp with those rubber bands, will that interfere with the touch screen interface permanently? Like how can you select songs if they are touching the screen?

Kreylix and smslbuy like this.