OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jun 5, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #1,441 of 4,883
Yeah oppo shall be more intelligent (ot fioo too) release a digital cable for these sony players

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,442 of 4,883
  Agree and is not their problem per se, it's americans being a bit closed-minded ..... amazon "CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO MEXICO"
angry_face.gif

Nope... there's a ton of legal, economic and trade agreement reasons that certain products from one country can't make it into another -- amazon not shipping to Mexico isn't about being closed minded in the slightest, you think Amazon doesn't want Mexico's money? Please.... Bezos stacks pesos... It's just one those things that hasn't been worked out yet.

In many cases, if you can't get something imported from another country, it's because of the rules of the country you currently reside in, not the host country. 

If you where as smart as Fiio, you would offer something like this in your own shop. The lack of such a cable in the EU keeps me from buying the Oppo H2.
It is all about the connectors, st***d!

I can't imagine that many people out there with sony walkmans needing usb otg for an external amp or dac, so how many of these dongles would oppo really sell? Would they be able to cover the costs of making or stocking them just to sell a few? This is a typical Sony problem with their proprietary BS - I love sony headphones but besides a playstation I don't mess around with any of their personal electronics, even if they are great performers like some of their cameras or 4k TV's, as you just never know when something like a freakin' dongle is going to ruin your day...

You could try to find that cable on ebay or some other vendor that can ship to the EU? Or, make friends with someone on head-fi in the states, paypal them the money and have them ship it you? 

The point is, don't let small roadblocks like shipping rules or a dongle stop you from experiencing the greatness that is the ha-2. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,443 of 4,883
  Agree and is not their problem per se, it's americans being a bit closed-minded ..... amazon "CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO MEXICO"
angry_face.gif

This particular cable can not be shipped to Russia either, but I can easily get a similar cable from China   lol
Actually this is where they come from originally...
http://s.taobao.com/search?q=ZX1++micro+usb&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&search_type=mall&sourceId=tb.index&spm=a215z.7106357.5803581.d4908513

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,444 of 4,883

I can't imagine that many people out there with sony walkmans needing usb otg for an external amp or dac, so how many of these dongles would oppo really sell?

The Dragon (Sony) is awake after sleeping for two decades. The A15 is the proof. They dismissed all things dictated by stupid finance guys that blocked their success, like digital rights and propriatary memory cards. Maybe they will dismiss the connector too in favor of micro USB, but Apple also does not do it. I expect the rebirth of the Sony Audio Brand any time soon. I think Fiio did the wakening call. And if I am correct here Oppo would need a lot of those cables.

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,445 of 4,883
  Yeah oppo shall be more intelligent (ot fioo too) release a digital cable for these sony players

As far as I'm concerned, Oppo is miles ahead of FiiO. They gave me the best sales service of any audio-related company operating in the US, bar none. I would say they are very intelligent, and a few missing cables are not going to change that.

If I were Sony, I would be very concerned with the advances of brands such as Astell&Kern, Oppo, FiiO and iBasso.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #1,448 of 4,883
  The Dragon (Sony) is awake after sleeping for two decades. The A15 is the proof. They dismissed all things dictated by stupid finance guys that blocked their success, like digital rights and propriatary memory cards. Maybe they will dismiss the connector too in favor of micro USB, but Apple also does not do it. I expect the rebirth of the Sony Audio Brand any time soon. I think Fiio did the wakening call. And if I am correct here Oppo would need a lot of those cables.

I would hope that Sony and Apple will abandon their proprietary connections pretty soon, and just go with something like USB-C, but will keep stuff like mfi certification so that other companies like oppo will still need to license "something" to get their gear to play nice, but at least the cables won't be a deal breaker.

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,449 of 4,883

I would hope that Sony and Apple will abandon their proprietary connections pretty soon, and just go with something like USB-C, but will keep stuff like mfi certification so that other companies like oppo will still need to license "something" to get their gear to play nice, but at least the cables won't be a deal breaker.

Apple is moving to usb-c on their macbooks starting next year. Let's hope that they do this for their iphones and ipads as well. 

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,450 of 4,883
Has anyone compared the HA-2 to the Headstage Arrow amp yet? I have an Arrow 4G, but the newer ones also have a DAC, and I'm looking to pair it with my Android phone via an OTG cable... I'd probably get the newer Arrow amp but the wait for them is excruciatingly long (6+ months now? Who knows), so I'm trying to decide between the HA-2 and the FiiO E18...

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,451 of 4,883

How many people have you seen walking around or posting in this forum that owns a Sony Walkman nor uses that cable. (Not so much). As much as OPPO is a audio company they are in the bussines of making money... Like any other business. So if you're going to smite and complain about a 5 dollar cables they won't see you as a loss. From my eye its your lost because for that price plus a that 5 dollar cable it still trumps most of the competition for its price. Plus their costumer service is bar none better than Sony and that's based on my personal experience.

Jun 6, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,452 of 4,883
How many people have you seen walking around or posting in this forum that owns a Sony Walkman nor uses that cable. (Not so much). As much as OPPO is a audio company they are in the business of making money... Like any other business. So if you're going to smite and complain about a 5 dollar cables they won't see you as a loss. From my eye its your lost because for that price plus a that 5 dollar cable it still trumps most of the competition for its price. Plus their costumer service is bar none better than Sony and that's based on my personal experience.

Calm down my friend, I was just pulling OPPO's leg. I am not saying that they are bad in any case. A global accessory shop would just be nice to have. As it is now, I can have the H2 in two days and the cable in 2 to 3 weeks. BTW, I work in service of a very large US Healthcare company. I am responsible to feed the global demand with parts from EMEA. It is possible, we do it every day.... And a lot of my parts are cables.

beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #1,453 of 4,883
  For those of you looking for a more elegant solution for connecting your Sony Walkman device with your HA-2, we've been able to confirm that this cable will do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWEHSQY

This cable works with the Sony Walkman NW-ZX1, NW-ZX2, NWZ-A17, NWZ-A15, and NW-F880 series.

This is still great news for OPPO HA-2 and Sony Walkman owners who can get this cable shipped to their location.

With qsk78 having done a lot of the trailblazing with different digital cables, HA-2 owners finally have an OPPO-tested, $25 alternative to using the bulky and expensive Sony WMC-NWH10 in combination with a USB A to USB Micro B cable:

Source:  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/add-direct-stream-digital-256-sony-walkman-nwz-a17-new-oppo-ha-2-a-23672/#post405026

This OPPO-approved cable allows the HA-2 to make use of its ES9018K2M DAC, in addition to enjoying increased power to your headphones, not available when using a Line Out from the Sony NWZ-A17.

The expense and awkwardness of the former solution has driven some Sony Walkman owners to use a Line Out cable to the OPPO HA-2, which unfortunately, under-drives the HA-2 (or any other amp to which it is connected), thanks to Sony's proprietary DAC putting out only 0.245V rms. This reduces the final output power of the HA-2 and other amps to 1/4 the power they could deliver to the headphones with a 1.0V rms input signal or only 1/8 the power they could deliver with a 2.0V rms signal. (Sony is the one and only DAP I know of that has such a low voltage line level signal. The FiiO X5 line out spec is 1.5V rms, which is 6 times the power of the Sony NWZ-A17 line out.)

In short, the Line Out from a Walkman NWZ-A17's DAC cripples any amp to which it is connected, decreasing the signal to noise ratio and reducing available headroom. This new cable eliminates that problem, marrying the suberb storage, UI and playback features of the Sony DAP with the excellent DAC and amp features of the HA-2.  

Mike

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,454 of 4,883
That is a great solution to a longstanding issue.

Does anybody know if a similar 90 degree cable exists for hooking up an iPhone (with Lightning port) to the HA-2? The Oppo-supplied cable with its straight vertical connection is a little inconvenient for me. At worst, it puts stress on the strain relief on both sides of the cable and potentially the ports, too.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,455 of 4,883

With qsk78 having done a lot of the trailblazing with different digital cables, HA-2 owners finally have an OPPO-tested, $25 alternative to using the bulky and expensive Sony WMC-NWH10 in combination with a USB A to USB Micro B cable:

Should note that the first one, the Music Heaven cable qsk78 mentioned that should work, doesn't work for me. Given Oppo also tested that cable without success, it is best to avoid that one all together. I'll see if I can get the Amazon one to try it out for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back