OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jun 7, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,456 of 4,883
That is a great solution to a longstanding issue.

Does anybody know if a similar 90 degree cable exists for hooking up an iPhone (with Lightning port) to the HA-2? The Oppo-supplied cable with its straight vertical connection is a little inconvenient for me. At worst, it puts stress on the strain relief on both sides of the cable and potentially the ports, too.

@ekrauss, mimic-cables can build you a custom cable with two right-angled connectors using the Oppo schematic for the iphones with the lightning port.

http://www.mimic-cables.com/products/custom-lightning-cable

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,460 of 4,883
Has anyone else with an HTC One M8 tried the HA-2? Regardless of what source material (MP3/AAC/FLAC/DSD) or application (UAPP/OnkyoHF/PowerAMP etc) I use to play it, I get small inconsistent pops in the audio which sounds like dust in a record groove.

Run the HA-2 off the computer and it's clean, so the phone, or something on it is the issue.

Have tried airplane mode, didn't help. Running Android 5.0.2 (lollipop).

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #1,461 of 4,883
Has anyone else with an HTC One M8 tried the HA-2? Regardless of what source material (MP3/AAC/FLAC/DSD) or application (UAPP/OnkyoHF/PowerAMP etc) I use to play it, I get small inconsistent pops in the audio which sounds like dust in a record groove.

Run the HA-2 off the computer and it's clean, so the phone, or something on it is the issue.

I've got a HTC One M8 with HA-2 and there are no small inconsistent pops in the audio on mine (UAPP on 5.0.1).

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #1,462 of 4,883

Might be a sample rate issue? Try switching between 44.1, 48, 96 etc... on the M8 and see if it gets better. Could also be usb cable issue?

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,463 of 4,883
  For those of you looking for a more elegant solution for connecting your Sony Walkman device with your HA-2, we've been able to confirm that this cable will do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWEHSQY

This cable works with the Sony Walkman NW-ZX1, NW-ZX2, NWZ-A17, NWZ-A15, and NW-F880 series.

Good grief and wow!

Is this by any chance available on amazon uk or oppo in the uk?

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,464 of 4,883

For those of you looking for a more elegant solution for connecting your Sony Walkman device with your HA-2, we've been able to confirm that this cable will do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWEHSQY

This cable works with the Sony Walkman NW-ZX1, NW-ZX2, NWZ-A17, NWZ-A15, and NW-F880 series.

Good grief and wow!

Is this by any chance available on amazon uk or oppo in the uk?

seems like not, too bad for people like us international customers (that cable is made by an USA Shop a small one, so abandon all hopes of international shipments)

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,465 of 4,883
  seems like not, too bad for people like us international customers (that cable is made by an USA Shop a small one, so abandon all hopes of international shipments)

<sigh> ok thanks for the info
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,466 of 4,883
  Might be a sample rate issue? Try switching between 44.1, 48, 96 etc... on the M8 and see if it gets better. Could also be usb cable issue?

Have tried files of different sample rates and with\without upscaling, all appears to be the same result.

Might have to see if I can source another cable to see if that makes any difference. Given how unstable UAPP is on my phone (frequently locks up totally), I suspect there may be some software conflict somewhere, might try a factory reset and see if that helps.

Out of amusement, I tried plugging my ancient 3rd gen iPod Nano into the HA-2, unsurprisingly it didn't do anything other than work as a battery charger as it obviously predates the required spec :)

Edit: Hmm, found my long lost USB OTG -> Female USB A cable and plugged the M8 into my Topping TP32 on my desk at work with another USB-A -> USB-B cable, and the sound from that into my PM-3's seems to be free of popping. So maybe it _is_ just the HA-2's Micro USB->MicroUSB cable, will need to rat out another one. 

I've got one of the cheap HiFiMe DIY micro-DACs _somewhere_, will try and find that to further narrow it down.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,468 of 4,883
Anyone know if 2.1A charger will work okay?  

Instructions say only use the quick charge.  But when its plugged in DAC mode it also charges at the lower 0.5A or 1A from the motherboard.  So I assume the 2.1A (iPad charger) should be fine too because the provided charger is 5A.  Anything from 0.5A to 5A should work at 5v.  But just want to check if that assume is correct first before I try it.  
I just don't understand why the instructions say that, unless they are just saying only use the thicker cord for the 5A charger, then that would make sense but they did not really word it that way.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,469 of 4,883
  Anyone know if 2.1A charger will work okay?  

Instructions say only use the quick charge.  But when its plugged in DAC mode it also charges at the lower 0.5A or 1A from the motherboard.  So I assume the 2.1A (iPad charger) should be fine too because the provided charger is 5A.  Anything from 0.5A to 5A should work at 5v.  But just want to check if that assume is correct first before I try it.  
I just don't understand why the instructions say that, unless they are just saying only use the thicker cord for the 5A charger, then that would make sense but they did not really word it that way.

Why don't you just use the stock charger?

Anyway, the answer is yes. HA-2 itself will limit how much current it will draw to stay within its safety limit. It will only draw 5A if it 'senses' it is charged with the stock charger, otherwise it will stick to normal USB charging scheme.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,470 of 4,883
  Check the USB cable - mine had to be replaced and that cured the described problem.

It seems to have magically fixed itself, other than the USB audio player apps (UAPP or Onkyo) are still very crash-prone. I'm guessing some app on my phone is polling the USB interface for some reason and mucking up a buffer somewhere. Will experiment some more over the next few days.

I find myself preferring the Onkyo HF app rather than UAPP largely just due to what I perceive to be a nicer interface. Playing a bit of a range of things at the moment, The Beatles, Pendulum, Faith No More, Billy Joel. Other than the fact that some of the original recordings are a bit "interesting" it really is a great sound from the HA-2. The bass switch makes things sound far too woolly for my liking, but I find that about 4 on low gain is a good "loud" volume for the PM-3's.

I _do_ still get the popping if I use a "regular" playback app (PowerAmp\GMMP) or if the screen turns off, while it's on it's fine.

The difference between playing in "Android" mode and USB-direct is quite amazing.

Edit: Spoke too soon, still getting the odd skip\pop\glitch even with powersave mode off, screen on, flight mode on and using HF player. :frowning2:

Factory reset time.

Edit2: That didn't help either. Bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back