Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #3,152 of 5,414
  Haha, yeah that's the picture.

beerchug.gif

I do want to add that the HA-1 is a class act. Enjoy it.
gs1000.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #3,153 of 5,414
I would agree that there is noticeable difference between IrDac and HA-1. If you want standalone DAC costing way less than $1000 and don't care about DSD you should get irDac. I prefer it over DacMagic plus and Bifrost uber

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #3,155 of 5,414
I have that combo.   Very good pairing.   I bought the stock xlr cable from the he-6.  My primary cans are my pm-1's but the he-500 is always close by.  

Can you write a mini review in nead fi style and describe what you hear. That would be nice :wink:

I'm worried about what Badas said- the oppo dac is no good as... a dac

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #3,156 of 5,414
I have been into Audio in some form or another for 50 years and I have never run into a company with the kind of great customer service that Oppo Digital displays.  Fantastic is almost an understatement. 

I must agree...
I sent in my oppo and they swapped whole front panel just for volume issue I had.
I have totally new and perfect volume now..

Sent again for unrelated issue of protection circuits turning off unit,
and they swapped me a whole new audio board with latest firmware so I now have essentially a brand new unit (!)

I didn't ask for replacement just to fix issue.

Excellent turn around time and quick shipping both times they are simply the best company I have ever dealt with for issues.

Edit :
Deleted excessive positive comments you herd most already. ..
:)
Also what I thought I would never do I am doing. .
Put my oppo up for sale to jump into tube gear...
If it doesn't work out at least I know to get another oppo lol.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #3,158 of 5,414
Don't be worried if you like your dac clear and sweet with large detailed soundstage. .
yes the HD800s need to be modded to sound best on this unit.
No I won't go back to an irDac from the oppo because it has different qualities smooth clean darker relaxing qualities I don't find as resolving and I am a seeker of micro detail and soundstage which leads me to other directions yet this unit was a huge stepping stone for me really can't find anything like it..

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #3,159 of 5,414
Hey Badas,

I really love your system.  

Can you please post more pictures, maybe from different angles, with close-ups and such?

Thanks!

Mike

Just kidding!

Your system rocks, but I think you've already taken 1st Place for most pictures posted to this thread!  
:beerchug:

Construtive.

I'm not, but I'm a bit worried about badas.

And here it comes.

Don't be worried if you like your dac clear and sweet with large detailed soundstage. .
yes the HD800s need to be modded to sound best on this unit.
No I won't go back to an irDac from the oppo because it has different qualities smooth clean darker relaxing qualities I don't find as resolving and I am a seeker of micro detail and soundstage which leads me to other directions yet this unit was a huge stepping stone for me really can't find anything like it..

What he said. Totally right. If you like micro detail you will love the HA-1. If you desire a lush sound you will not. I can't agree with this statement enough. It is all I have ever tried to say. HD800 owners will love. HiFiMan and Audeze owners may not. The signature to those cans will clash.

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #3,160 of 5,414
My Audeze cans sound FANTASTIC on the HA-1 :cool:

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #3,161 of 5,414
Construtive.
And here it comes.
What he said. Totally right. If you like micro detail you will love the HA-1. If you desire a lush sound you will not. I can't agree with this statement enough. It is all I have ever tried to say. HD800 owners will love. HiFiMan and Audeze owners may not. The signature to those cans will clash.

Yep, I love the warm, soft and lush sound+ hifiman owner :rolleyes:

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #3,162 of 5,414
Sorry to disagree with a fellow country man but I find both my Audeze phones to work very well with the HA-1. Having said that I rarely use the Oppo DAC as the majority of my listening is done on vinyl so mainly feeding the analogue side of the amp.
The few times I have ran digital( flac/Hi Rez files) via Foobar from my lap top I have been very happy with what I hear but it's not a science and we all have our own audio nirvana.

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #3,163 of 5,414
I will add that I don't consider the irDac an actual step down from the oppo...
it is more like a side step of a different flavor (chocolate) next to the oppo dac (vanilla )..
The reson is that from memory it struck me as a very mature refined and majestic sound over the WA7 I had at the time..

moving up from that to oppo gave me a similar yet brighter impression with more detail.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #3,164 of 5,414
I will add that I don't consider the irDac an actual step down from the oppo...
it is more like a side step of a different flavor (chocolate) next to the oppo dac (vanilla )..
The reson is that from memory it struck me as a very mature refined and majestic sound over the WA7 I had at the time..

moving up from that to oppo gave me a similar yet brighter impression with more detail.

Yes. Very good explanation.

I had the WA7 and the Oppo at the same time. I found they had a very similar sound signature. Yes you are correct the Oppo has the micro detail over the WA7. In the end I wanted a tube amp that gave me more flexibility on rolling tubes to my prefered sound signature. Hence getting the WA22 instead of WA7. Balanced connection was a plus as well.

I also have listened to the Aurlic Vega DAC. That beats everything I heard. If the Oppo is Vanila, the Arcam irDac Chocolate then the Vega was double chocolate with cherries on top. :D However it should be as it is 3 times the price of the Oppo.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #3,165 of 5,414
Taurus is an amp not a DAC. Perhaps u mean the Vega?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back