Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #3,121 of 5,414
  I finally broke down and ordered balanced cables for my Oppo PM-1.  I received them today and as usual with Oppo the cables weren't just thrown in a box and shipped, they were boxed in a nice presentation cardboard box.  I think Apple started a trend with packaging.  I was skeptical that I would hear a sound difference other than the phones would require less power.  I was wrong I can hear more detail and the volume level is defiantly lower. 

I think the ToneAudio review mentioned a bit more detail coming via balanced. But I can't swing $150 now.. is anyone making a balanced cable for these that is less? 

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3,122 of 5,414
http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BHC2

Oppo sells a balanced cable for them for $129. May also want to check out the used deals on head-fi, I've found some great deals on cables there myself

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #3,123 of 5,414

I finally broke down and ordered balanced cables for my Oppo PM-1.  I received them today and as usual with Oppo the cables weren't just thrown in a box and shipped, they were boxed in a nice presentation cardboard box.  I think Apple started a trend with packaging.  I was skeptical that I would hear a sound difference other than the phones would require less power.  I was wrong I can hear more detail and the volume level is defiantly lower. 

I think the ToneAudio review mentioned a bit more detail coming via balanced. But I can't swing $150 now.. is anyone making a balanced cable for these that is less? 

Found a link here on ebay for a totally custom made one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-PM-1-PM-2-headphone-cable-5ft-15ft-many-colors-/321628573178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae28e8dfa

If the connectors are the same as the HD700 you could get a cheap HD700 cable and just reterminate it? It take a little knowledge of soldering, but you could get a cheap cable and 4 pin XLR for about $60. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #3,124 of 5,414
Questions for you guys regarding the HA-1:

What phones do you think pair best, LCD-2f, HE-560, or the PM-1's?
Is there any  other amp/DAC combo(can be seperate units) that competes with it in its price range?

I am trying to decide if I want to go the above route, or buy a Bifrost Uber and HD800 to run with my current Valhalla 1.

The HA-1 has the benefit of running balanced which I really like. So I am leaning towards that route. Just need to decide on the phones.

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #3,125 of 5,414
I think all three would pair well just depends on your preference. I use lcd-3f and he-560 and both pair well with the hifiman being more open sounding and the Audeze being more full bodied. Have never heard the pm-1 but being that the all the reviews say they were created with each other in mind I'm sure that pairing is fantastic as well. May be best to demo the 3 if possible to see which headphones you prefer

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #3,126 of 5,414
I am also interested in a comparison between ha-1 and yulong da8. Both amp and dac section of them. (A comparison of their qualities and sound signatures, not power and features. )

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #3,127 of 5,414
I think all three would pair well just depends on your preference. I use lcd-3f and he-560 and both pair well with the hifiman being more open sounding and the Audeze being more full bodied. Have never heard the pm-1 but being that the all the reviews say they were created with each other in mind I'm sure that pairing is fantastic as well. May be best to demo the 3 if possible to see which headphones you prefer

I am looking for a setup that has more resolution than my current SBZ->Valhalla1->X1/AKG 7xx.

Do you know of any websites offering auditions of the HA-1 with PM-1?

Local(by local I mean out of state) headphone store does not carry Oppo.

Would you say the Oppo setup with any of those three cans run balanced would be a step above a Bifrost Uber->Valhalla 1->HD800?

Thanks for the reply.

Also, I take it the DAC only works with USB input?
Reason I ask is I like to use the SBX prostudio on my SBZ for movies and games. I suppose I can keep SBX by using the optical in, but that would buypass the DAC correct?

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #3,128 of 5,414
I am looking for a setup that has more resolution than my current SBZ->Valhalla1->X1/AKG 7xx.

Do you know of any websites offering auditions of the HA-1 with PM-1?

Local(by local I mean out of state) headphone store does not carry Oppo.

Would you say the Oppo setup with any of those three cans run balanced would be a step above a Bifrost Uber->Valhalla 1->HD800?

Thanks for the reply.

Also, I take it the DAC only works with USB input?
Reason I ask is I like to use the SBX prostudio on my SBZ for movies and games. I suppose I can keep SBX by using the optical in, but that would buypass the DAC correct?

Optical is a digital signal so it would use the HA-1 DAC. Same with coaxial, AES/EBU, and USB (front and back).

Oppo Digital has a 30 day return policy, no hassles and super cheap shipping in the US. Just saying.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #3,129 of 5,414
Optical is a digital signal so it would use the HA-1 DAC. Same with coaxial and USB (front and back).

Oppo Digital has a 30 day return policy, no hassles and super cheap shipping in the US. Just saying.

That is great news! So with the ability to switch between inputs I could run my SBZ to optical when gaming/movies, and then use the remote to switch to USB for music!
This HA-1 just seems more and more like the right kit for me. Just have to decide if I like the sound.

So if I order it(from OPPO direct), and my sole reason for returning is that I do not enjoy the sound, they will not hassle me with a refund?
My other option would be Amazon, and I have only ever sent one thing back out of the 100's of things ordered.

Thanks for the reply.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #3,130 of 5,414
That is great news! So with the ability to switch between inputs I could run my SBZ to optical when gaming/movies, and then use the remote to switch to USB for music!
This HA-1 just seems more and more like the right kit for me. Just have to decide if I like the sound.

So if I order it(from OPPO direct), and my sole reason for returning is that I do not enjoy the sound, they will not hassle me with a refund?
My other option would be Amazon, and I have only ever sent one thing back out of the 100's of things ordered.

Thanks for the reply.

They are a direct sales company so there is no real retail store, so I imagine it's par for the course for them.

You can read about it yourself here

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #3,132 of 5,414
  Also OPPO can double box the shipment for a small charge, lots of shipping options. 

I see, so the PM-1 would be in one box the HA-1 one would be in the other?

I think I will order the HA-1 and PM-1 this week or next week. I just got screwed by a tenant at my rental property so I need to get that situation %100 straightened out before I make any purchases over $1,000.

Then shortly before I receive that I will use The Cable Co's awesome loaner program to audition a set of LCD-2f's. The only problem I see with that is the matter of getting a balanced cable to try along with them.

Who knows, I may end up keeping both much to the chagrin of my bank account. Also, big GM200 is right around the corner...ouch.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will contribute my comparisons when I get everything settled. Now if only I could somehow squeeze the HE-560's in there at the same time...

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #3,133 of 5,414

Then shortly before I receive that I will use The Cable Co's awesome loaner program to audition a set of LCD-2f's. The only problem I see with that is the matter of getting a balanced cable to try along with them.

Audeze is one of those great manufacturers that ships a balanced cable with their product. So it may have one when you try it out.

I use LCD-3 and HA-1 combo. Super nice. Super detailed. I don't use HA-1 DAC tho.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #3,134 of 5,414

I can tell you that I returned a BDP-105 BD player to Oppo and I don't remember them asking me why I was even returning it.  They only asked me if the unit was defective or working properly, and I said it was working properly.  That was it.

Part of why Oppo is such a fantastic company to do business with.   I agree with RELIC.  I think they get the fact that since they don't have a retail presence, the only way customers can "audition" their gear is ordering it and trying it.  

And anyone who has done business with Amazon knows they have an incredible return policy.  Great folks as well

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3,135 of 5,414
We will ask you the reason for the return, but we will not deny you the ability to return the unit based on your response. We generally like to know why products are returned to better help our current customers and make any changes to the produce to make it more inline of what our future customers would want.

PS. The units sold on Amazon.com are fulfilled by us, so you are still in essence purchasing from us. The only difference is that you are using Amazon.com's purchasing ecosystem and we make a lot less on the sale (we have to pay a cut to Amazon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back