Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #3,136 of 5,414
  I can tell you that I returned a BDP-105 BD player to Oppo and I don't remember them asking me why I was even returning it.  They only asked me if the unit was defective or working properly, and I said it was working properly.  That was it.

Part of why Oppo is such a fantastic company to do business with.   I agree with RELIC.  I think they get the fact that since they don't have a retail presence, the only way customers can "audition" their gear is ordering it and trying it.  

And anyone who has done business with Amazon knows they have an incredible return policy.  Great folks as well

We will ask you the reason for the return, but we will not deny you the ability to return the unit based on your response. We generally like to know why products are returned to better help our current customers and make any changes to the produce to make it more inline of what our future customers would want.

PS. The units sold on Amazon.com are fulfilled by us, so you are still in essence purchasing from us. The only difference is that you are using Amazon.com's purchasing ecosystem and we make a lot less on the sale (we have to pay a cut to Amazon).

I have been into Audio in some form or another for 50 years and I have never run into a company with the kind of great customer service that Oppo Digital displays.  Fantastic is almost an understatement. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,137 of 5,414
^^^ This ^^^

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #3,138 of 5,414
^^^ This ^^^

^^^^^^

Agreed. Also like to add that they look after overseas customers with as much respect as if we were living in the the US.
gs1000.gif

I have emailed them on occasion and they have fixed issues first time every time.

That is why I own the BDP 83, BDP 80, two BDP 103D's and the HA-1.

I plan to add the PM-3 soon as well.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #3,139 of 5,414
I'm still on the fence about getting the PM-1 to go with my HA-1. I imagine the pairing would be great but I've already got two Audeze cans. But the look and described sound signature of the PM-1 have me curious. Plus, it's Oppo Digital so I imagine they'd serve me well for a long time to come.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #3,140 of 5,414
Seems like a lot of non-complimentary headphones, 2 Audeze's and adding an Oppo. Have you thought about trying the HE-560, it pairs really well with the HA-1 and would be more of a compliment for your Audeze's that the Oppo, since they are somewhat similar of a sound signature from what I've read about them.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #3,141 of 5,414
Seems like a lot of non-complimentary headphones, 2 Audeze's and adding an Oppo. Have you thought about trying the HE-560, it pairs really well with the HA-1 and would be more of a compliment for your Audeze's that the Oppo, since they are somewhat similar of a sound signature from what I've read about them.

Haha, well........ I like what I like. Never been a fan of HFiman though, can't really explain it.

The LCD-2 and my particular XC are very different in signature. The XC sounds much more forward. My pair is very bright compared to the average, which is why I'd consider the PM-1 as an alternate.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #3,142 of 5,414
The only consistent fact with hearing is that no people hear the same.  So you can get a ballpark idea from various reviews and comments, but you have to listen with your own ears to make a good judgement and for several days if possible.  That is why Oppo's return policy can be very valuable, you can review the product and return it if it doesn't pass your personal tests.  I have four of their products (5th on the way, a PM-3) and have not returned anyone of them.  They have all sounded great to my ears.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #3,143 of 5,414
Haha, well........ I like what I like. Never been a fan of HFiman though, can't really explain it.

The LCD-2 and my particular XC are very different in signature. The XC sounds much more forward. My pair is very bright compared to the average, which is why I'd consider the PM-1 as an alternate.

Can't argue with that, I really like the Audeze sound signature myself, I picked up the HE-560 because it gives me a good alternative, kind of like a middle ground between the openness of the HD-800's with the more enjoyable midrange/bass found on most ortho's. HD-800's weren't for my taste either, though I did enjoy the soundstaging immensely, just never found them fun to listen too.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #3,147 of 5,414
  We will ask you the reason for the return, but we will not deny you the ability to return the unit based on your response. We generally like to know why products are returned to better help our current customers and make any changes to the produce to make it more inline of what our future customers would want.

PS. The units sold on Amazon.com are fulfilled by us, so you are still in essence purchasing from us. The only difference is that you are using Amazon.com's purchasing ecosystem and we make a lot less on the sale (we have to pay a cut to Amazon).

Well, I will definitely buy from you directly then. Thanks for the reply.

Audeze is one of those great manufacturers that ships a balanced cable with their product. So it may have one when you try it out.

I use LCD-3 and HA-1 combo. Super nice. Super detailed. I don't use HA-1 DAC tho.

What DAC are you using instead? Why the switch? Thanks for the reply.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #3,148 of 5,414

What DAC are you using instead? Why the switch? Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the Arcam irDac. My opinion is not popular around here and I can understand why.

I'm not a fan of the Oppo DAC. However I do like the HA-1 for other reasons.

I had the Arcam DAC before getting the HA-1. Stupidly sold it as I thought the HA-1 would be better. I couldn't handle the HA-1 DAC so I have repurchased.

Oppo HA-1 DAC admirers will tell you it is neutral. I would tend to agree to a point and would say it has a cold tint. Definitely not warm. To my ears it also does not resolve treble nicely. I have tried the Taurus, Cambridge Audio and my Arcam DAC's. All resolve treble so much nicer. Very easy to hear the difference. Here is where I get into trouble and I will comment and leave it alone. This combination (neutral, coldish and treble) makes me think the HA-1 DAC is bright and harsh.

In comparison. The Taurus, Cambrige Audio and Arcam Dac's are warm and lush (Taurus and Arcam being best). The Arcam resolves treble so nicely. It never ever gets unruly. It has a very warm tint. So others could hate it for the opposite reasons to me. Arcam is far from neutral but so very musical.

At the end of the day I like the HA-1. It is only the DAC I do not like. Everything else is golden (except the volume display flicking on and off). I do like the remote, Amp stage and pre-amp functions. So with the Arcam DAC, Oppo HA-1 for SS duties and Woo WA22 for tube duties I'm a happy head-fier. :)

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #3,149 of 5,414

I'm using the Arcam irDac. My opinion is not popular around here and I can understand why.

I'm not a fan of the Oppo DAC. However I do like the HA-1 for other reasons.

I had the Arcam DAC before getting the HA-1. Stupidly sold it as I thought the HA-1 would be better. I couldn't handle the HA-1 DAC so I have repurchased.

Oppo HA-1 DAC admirers will tell you it is neutral. I would tend to agree to a point and would say it has a cold tint. Definitely not warm. To my ears it also does not resolve treble nicely. I have tried the Taurus, Cambridge Audio and my Arcam DAC's. All resolve treble so much nicer. Very easy to hear the difference. Here is where I get into trouble and I will comment and leave it alone. This combination (neutral, coldish and treble) makes me think the HA-1 DAC is bright and harsh.

In comparison. The Taurus, Cambrige Audio and Arcam Dac's are warm and lush. The Arcam resolves treble so nicely. It never ever gets unruly. It has a very warm tint. So others could hate it for the opposite reasons to me. Arcam is far from neutral but so very musical.

At the end of the day I like the HA-1. It is only the DAC I do not like. Everything else is golden (except the volume display flicking on and off). I do like the remote, Amp stage and pre-amp functions. So with the Arcam DAC, Oppo HA-1 for SS duties and Woo WA22 tube duties I'm a happy head-fier. :)

Thank you for the reply.

I have heard that the Arcam DAC's can be warm and lush.
In fact I think I saw picture on this site of someone using the irDAC with his HA-1.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #3,150 of 5,414

Thank you for the reply.

I have heard that the Arcam DAC's can be warm and lush.
In fact I think I saw picture on this site of someone using the irDAC with his HA-1.

Probably me.
redface.gif
Placed under the iPod dock (Arcam drDock).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back