Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #766 of 5,414
  The XLR outputs are not amplified, so they are not a part of the Class A design. The integration is very similar to how we designed the BDP-95/105/105D's analog output stages.

Really? Not amplified?

From the manual:
"The HA-1 offers both RCA and XLR Balanced
jacks. The output level is controlled by the
Volume Knob or remote. The output is not muted when a pair of
headphones is plugged in. It is muted when the remote
MUTE button is pressed"

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #767 of 5,414
That is not amplification. That is just standard analog voltage required to get an audio signal from the HA-1 to the amplification equipment. It is not like speaker terminals or the headphone amplifier which actually has an appreciable signal amplification.

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #770 of 5,414
^ Since the hardware is a little different and different build path, the HP amp in the HA-1 will rival the HP amp in the 105.
The HP amp in the 105 is still very good, but the HA-1 is a cut above for sound quality.
You also have a lot more customizable features in the HA-1, including analog inputs and the ability to decode DSD256, among others.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #771 of 5,414

I love this amp and am fairly convinced this HA-1 is last stop for a long while with me climbing the equipment ladder because of the excellent dac/amp performance.

Looks like you need to spend at least double the amount and over to beat it..

Most other top dac/amp solutions, (Benchmark DAC2-HGC, MyTek, Dangerous Source, Grace m920)
Provide more features than you need,
Yet none of those have XLR headphone out and all have much weaker amplifier stage than the HA-1...

Most smaller compact units cannot hide their power inferiority to the HA-1 with their fancy features and big price tags...

Here is a list of only a few drawbacks from other solutions I was able to read about and do quick search on. .

mytek:
hissing on iem is audible on hd800
Less revealing than both the hilo and dac2.
No XLR headphone out

Hilo:
Less power than HA-1.
Hissing with iems is audible on hd800
No XLR headphone out

Benchmark DAC2-HGC :
Quite on iem but
Headphone current limit at 300 ma per channel. .
From searches looks like a 400mw amp section.
No XLR headphone out

Audio-gd NFB-27 & 28:
Low power at higher impedance ; down to 600 mw at 600ohm

Audio-gd Compass 2:
Less power than NFB-27&28
No XLR headphone out

Burson Conductor:
No XLR headphone out
Burnson amp only = 1w

Fostex HP-A8C:
lower power .
Max Output:    700mW (32-ohm loaded)
No XLR headphone out

Emotiva:
Amp only, not class A, and not as resolving.

I haven't even touch the functionality/convenience and abilities of other formats like DSD.

Almost no other solution is like the HA-1,
and only Audio-gd comes close.

So Sadly, or happily, depending how you look at it,
I see little to no competition here (!)
:)

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #772 of 5,414
Does LCD3 works well with this HA-1? It will be my 1st purchase for Headphone Amp and Headphone, seen the review of the Flagship LCD3 and is very interested. Wonder if PM1 come close to LCD3.. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #774 of 5,414
LCD 3 can sound truly amazing.
I never felt that way with pm1.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #775 of 5,414
Does LCD3 works well with this HA-1? It will be my 1st purchase for Headphone Amp and Headphone, seen the review of the Flagship LCD3 and is very interested. Wonder if PM1 come close to LCD3.. 

Should be an excellent pairing, especially if using the balanced cable with the LCD-3. Pretty damn good for a first headphone and amp/DAC! :D

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #776 of 5,414
Should be an excellent pairing, especially if using the balanced cable with the LCD-3. Pretty damn good for a first headphone and amp/DAC!
biggrin.gif

U make my day, so it shall be LCD3 with HA-1!!! thank you guys. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #779 of 5,414
Lets say in the near future i want a balanced tube amp to drive LCD3, would the Woo Audio WA-22 a good combo? I never own or hear tube amp ever, so maybe i would like to have a high end one. But it seems that Woo Audio products are hard to get in Malaysia. I also read the review on Alo Studio 6, but too bad it isn't balanced amp. 

Would someone be kind enough to guide me on how to read the amp spec? normally what are the figures that you guys are looking for in Headphone amp? 

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #780 of 5,414
juz curious, would ALO PAN AM outperform HA-1? :p

The Pan Am amp pairs well with the Audeze lineup. Keep in mind the Pan Am gives more options to play with the sound by trying different tubes, but this alone can get out of control expensive. Some tubes also may not have a good synergy with the LCD-3. Also, the DAC in the Pan Am is good but nothing special IMO.

At the end of the day I prefer my HA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back