Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Dec 3, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,382 of 1,608
Totally Germaine and totally silly I guess. I did a video review of the DP-S1 here. I hope I don't look as silly to you as I feel to myself.

I started digging through this thread a few days before I bit the bullet and picked up my 30R about a week ago. What better gem to find at the end than your video, having myself spent the last two years getting back into Minidisc for exactly the reasons you point out: More conscious music choices and listening enjoyment. Subscribed!

Yet, here I am with the 30R and I doubt even my MZ-R55 (Did you ever try that one? To me, it sounds significantly better than the more portable E55) will see much use for a while as the Pioneer just sounds amazingly great.

I now try and transfer my relearned Minidisc habits to the Pioneer, picking albums with care and listening to them all the way through. :ksc75smile:

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,384 of 1,608
Dec 5, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,387 of 1,608
Hi,

is it possible to use the balanced output with my Philips Fidelio X2 headphones which have the 3.5 mm jack? Which cable or adapter should I use?

Thanks!
If the 3.5 mm is a TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connector, then it's likely that they use a common ground with a hot left and right. An adapter to convert to a 2.5MM TRRS (R+,R-,L+,L-) would end up shorting out the R- and L- and possibly damaging the balanced output.

IF the headphones us a 4 conductor cable, with separate ground lines, then it could be re-terminated with some type of balanced connector (TRRS or XLR). Once terminated with a balanced connector, an adapter for use with an unbalanced connector could be used.
If the cable is only 3 conductor, then it would have to be completely re-cabled.

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #1,388 of 1,608
I am on the lookout for a replacement for my Pono, I love the Pono but its not portable as the battery is a bit shot so I use It wired at home.
One thing that the Pono did very well we gapless, even with DSD,DSF files - something that I have found out to be lacking in other devices. Can anyone comment of the gapless playback of the DP-S1?

Cheers

BT

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,389 of 1,608
I am on the lookout for a replacement for my Pono, I love the Pono but its not portable as the battery is a bit shot so I use It wired at home.
One thing that the Pono did very well we gapless, even with DSD,DSF files - something that I have found out to be lacking in other devices. Can anyone comment of the gapless playback of the DP-S1?

Cheers

BT
The DP-S1 handless gapless very well in my experience. I mostly listen to FLAC, but I am very critical where gapless playback is concerned and have no complaints. No gaps, no pops or clicks. Someone else may be able to comment regarding DSD, etc.

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,391 of 1,608
DP-S1's battery life is very good.
DP-S1 has 85% of iBasso R10/DX100's sound quality.

Its firmware has no bug. It can read microSD cards fast. But I think its touch screen could be bigger.
I wonder why they made its touch screen much smaller than its body.
Besides that, DP-S1 is a great device. I'm looking to keep it for years.

I'm not sure how I can replace its internal battery though.

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,392 of 1,608
DP-S1's battery life is very good.
I'm not sure how I can replace its internal battery though.
It's not been necessary yet. When it is, it's not too hard to get the back off. The battery is a standard lithium polymer device - nothing exotic - and simply needs to be of approximately the correct size, voltage and capacity. The battery is located under a bunch of shielding which may present a challenge to some. I haven't gone digging any further at this point although at some point I am sure that one of us will post on how they did it.

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #1,393 of 1,608

Cheers

BT

Yes, it does gapless very well for everything I've thrown at it, from AIFF, WAV, FLAC and m4a of resolutions up to 192/24. It also does gapless well with MQA of all flavours.
But to echo BadBanana… I have no DSD files to test.

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #1,394 of 1,608
Yes, it does gapless very well for everything I've thrown at it, from AIFF, WAV, FLAC and m4a of resolutions up to 192/24. It also does gapless well with MQA of all flavours.
But to echo BadBanana… I have no DSD files to test.

Hmm! My XDP-30R does not play MQAs gapless at all! Whether streaming off of Tidal, or downloaded. Wonder why?

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #1,395 of 1,608
Hi all, is it possible to downgrade the firmware from 1.30EU to 1.21EU (XDP-30r), and after this procedure to upgrade with the 1.30US version? The reason is I'm using the European version of the player with the volume limitation, and I try to remove this reglementation with the installing of the US firmware. I believe this reglementation is not in use in the states. I don't like the option to use the variable output because it is reset after every restart. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back