Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #1,351 of 1,608
Here's my conclusion for my impression of DP-S1 after a several weeks of listening. I've been plugging it into my Phonak 012 and a pair of local brand custom BA headphones, it has 4BA each side and its sound is neutral, mid-forwarded. This DP-S1 isnt the best choice at the range of 200-300$, I haven't heard other DAPs around this range but i'm sure they could perform better than this one. It's thick, too mellow and kinda fatiguing after a fair amount of listening time. Definitely not airy at all. I can tell the treble range is laid back and outweighted by the mid and the bass. Mid range? Of course, it's awesome. Everything is gonna be so mellow like you're having a cup of chocolate milk with some marshmallows in a butt ass-freezing day. But since it's too sweet, you're gonna tired and get bored, you have to take off your headphones after 30mins or 1 hour. The low-range sounds weird to me, it's tight and muddy simultaneously. @@ it's hard to explain guys. Also i dont think the sound image and seperation is decent, like every sound is packed together and you cant tell which one is on your left your right or your front and back. This sounds ridiculous but imagine you're in a music concert, it's so wide open and then you bring the stage into your toilet and you sit in there and "enjoy" your music. And now you get my point. I'm gonna get rid of this in a few days.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #1,352 of 1,608
Here's my conclusion for my impression of DP-S1 after a several weeks of listening. I've been plugging it into my Phonak 012 and a pair of local brand custom BA headphones, it has 4BA each side and its sound is neutral, mid-forwarded. This DP-S1 isnt the best choice at the range of 200-300$, I haven't heard other DAPs around this range but i'm sure they could perform better than this one. It's thick, too mellow and kinda fatiguing after a fair amount of listening time. Definitely not airy at all. I can tell the treble range is laid back and outweighted by the mid and the bass. Mid range? Of course, it's awesome. Everything is gonna be so mellow like you're having a cup of chocolate milk with some marshmallows in a butt ass-freezing day. But since it's too sweet, you're gonna tired and get bored, you have to take off your headphones after 30mins or 1 hour. The low-range sounds weird to me, it's tight and muddy simultaneously. @@ it's hard to explain guys. Also i dont think the sound image and seperation is decent, like every sound is packed together and you cant tell which one is on your left your right or your front and back. This sounds ridiculous but imagine you're in a music concert, it's so wide open and then you bring the stage into your toilet and you sit in there and "enjoy" your music. And now you get my point. I'm gonna get rid of this in a few days.

Have you tried missing with the DAC filters?

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,353 of 1,608
Have you tried missing with the DAC filters?
Sorry, i came out too harsh on this pretty small thing. I guess it's not terrible after all. A decent portable DAP with a palm size, it comes handy to me. Was about to delete my comment but didn't know how to. I might have expected too much from DP-S1, it wasnt meant to be a bright-and- transparent-sounded DAP, vocal is its strength. And for your infomation, i used all three filters and noticed no differences or they maybe too subtle to be noticed. IMO, the differences in all EQ presets are more easy to tell. And another weird thing is everytime there's a guy wanting to buy my DP-S1, i feel it more special to me, can't let it go :v I guess, i'm gonna keep it.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,354 of 1,608
Sorry, i came out too harsh on this pretty small thing. I guess it's not terrible after all. A decent portable DAP with a palm size, it comes handy to me. Was about to delete my comment but didn't know how to. I might have expected too much from DP-S1, it wasnt meant to be a bright-and- transparent-sounded DAP, vocal is its strength. And for your infomation, i used all three filters and noticed no differences or they maybe too subtle to be noticed. IMO, the differences in all EQ presets are more easy to tell. And another weird thing is everytime there's a guy wanting to buy my DP-S1, i feel it more special to me, can't let it go :v I guess, i'm gonna keep it.

I wouldn't part with mine either. I couldn't relate to your earlier post, but I really love this player. And I find it really good on long journeys - currently paired with Audio Technica ATH-LS200IS with the AT balanced cable...

DP-S1 and ATH-LS200IS.jpg

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,355 of 1,608

Yeah, differences between filters are veeeeeeeeeeery subtle.

That being said, if you are still looking to tweak the output, you may also want to try changing the upsampling and lock range adjust settings. (Although, as with the filters, I wouldn't expect huge differences in the sound as a result.)

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #1,356 of 1,608

That being said, if you are still looking to tweak the output, you may also want to try changing the upsampling and lock range adjust settings. (Although, as with the filters, I wouldn't expect huge differences in the sound as a result.)
At this moment, i'm already satisfied with its sound. Short filter + nearly the most narrow level of lock range. Other options like upsampling and Hi-bit arent necessary to me, i turned them all off. In my earlier comment, it must have been posted in a very exhausted day after work, my ears might have been too tired for music. Sorry guys for being too harsh on it.

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,357 of 1,608
I wouldn't part with mine either. I couldn't relate to your earlier post, but I really love this player. And I find it really good on long journeys - currently paired with Audio Technica ATH-LS200IS with the AT balanced cable...

How do you think about these ATH-LS200i? I remember the time i listened to them was 2016. We had this offline for audiophiles in the city and there was a guy bringing these IEMs to the meet. Back then i owned a pair of Onko E700M, they sounded bassy and Vshaped. Tried those ATHs on and damn, they sounded thick and full and kinda narrow in term of soundstage. It was just a five-min-impression and i might be wrong on that.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,358 of 1,608

I hear no difference with the filters and moving the lock-range setting a notch to the right causes the player to choke on DSD files (OK, not choke but seriously cough, unenjoyable)

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #1,359 of 1,608
How do you think about these ATH-LS200i? I remember the time i listened to them was 2016. We had this offline for audiophiles in the city and there was a guy bringing these IEMs to the meet. Back then i owned a pair of Onko E700M, they sounded bassy and Vshaped. Tried those ATHs on and damn, they sounded thick and full and kinda narrow in term of soundstage. It was just a five-min-impression and i might be wrong on that.
It sounds like the ones that you heard were either faulty or possibly even not genuine? I find the sound very well balanced, and certainly not thick in any sense. But what convinced me above all else was the amazing sound-stage. With the supplied cable it is pretty good. With the balanced cable from the balanced output on the Onkyo the sound-stage is stunning. They don't go especially high in frequency according to the specs, but I am 60, so my ears have rolled off a bit over the years. Isolation is pretty good with the standard silicone tips supplied, but I have put a set of Comply tips on and it's even better. I had not had much experience with IEMs before getting these, so I auditioned a few when I was looking (can't remember them all), and I was a little worried about mechanical sound from the cable, but it's really a non-issue for me. They are also, for my ears at least, very comfortable. They come with a nice firm case which protects them well and has space for both cables so that I can use them on other devices if I need. Oh, and I like the colour too.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #1,360 of 1,608
The filters suggestion was just a suggestion. They are very subtle indeed. I find it more noticeable on AK4xxx DACs than the Sabre series. The impressions you gave kind of remind me more of what I'd hear in a AKM DAC than a Sabre ESS DAC from the ones I've heard. AK "velvet" sound seems to be warmer to me than ES9018 which, to me, is very analytical. Granted, that is also dependent on amp implementation too.

I really like the DP-S1 and I have had a hard time justifying getting anything else. I've tried many of the ones up to it's price and I found it to be the one I stuck with for sound and usability. I am still keen on getting an android DAP at some point but I haven't impulsively bought one yet (surprisingly).

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #1,362 of 1,608
I have the LS200 as well paired with the XDP-30R. Would you say the onkyo balanced cable is worth the $150?

Maybe. Depends how you measure value of stuff like this in this crazy world....

When I listened to the LS200is IEMs I tried both cables and the difference between balanced and unbalanced was very clear to me with a wider and clearer soundstage with the balanced cable. I got the Audio Technica cable to match the IEMs - their part number HDC312A/1.2 - it was priced at Hong Kong $ 1040 (currently US $132, although curently priced at $119 on the Audio Technica website). I haggled a bit on the bundle of IEMs and cable aided by a friend who is local so I probably saved around $40 or so on the deal. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

I note you have LS200, not the newer LS200is - I am not sure whether they have the same connector - you should check for compatibility before parting with any cash.

Oct 4, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,365 of 1,608
I was wondering who makes that cable? Does it have mmcx connectors? It looks very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back