Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Apr 22, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #1,171 of 1,608
I have a AAC encoded track that triggers an invalid file error. Since I created it by ripping the music from a video I used the extension m4a. As I was writing this question I wondered if it was the extension I used which would be easy enough to check. However I'd like if someone has successfully played AAC files just so I can reassure myself that in general the player accepts them.

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,173 of 1,608
.m4a is very common for AAC files. I also have no trouble playing AAC files. I'd check for valid tags, art, bit rate and bit depth, etc. What tools did you extract / convert the file with? If the audio was AAC embedded in the video file, then it's possible that it already had some issues before you extracted it. .

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #1,174 of 1,608
.m4a is very common for AAC files. I also have no trouble playing AAC files. I'd check for valid tags, art, bit rate and bit depth, etc. What tools did you extract / convert the file with? If the audio was AAC embedded in the video file, then it's possible that it already had some issues before you extracted it. .
I had issues with flac files that I created. Every other player I own played them just fine except for the DP-S1. Turns out I didn't understand that flac had its own tagging and I didn't need to add id3 tags which was why they were flagged as incorrect. The other players didn't care, the Onkyo did. Easily corrected once knew I did something wrong by just removing the id3 tags.

I have a feeling something similar is happening here. My tablet and other mp3 players handle the file just fine. The Onkyo lists it if I use the file browser but when I try to play it I get the invalid file error. Then it no longer shows in the browser which I thought was an interesting behavior. I'm guessing that again its a case of the extracted aac audio is slightly incorrect or out of spec and whoever coded the DP-S1 was very finicky in requiring the format for files to follow spec.

It was ripped from a YouTube video, well demuxed to be exact. Just extracted the stream and saved it to a file. I used TubeMate, an Android app, to extract. I'll give another app a try. Perhaps I'll move to my Mac and use ffmpeg to demux. After all I don't need conversion.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #1,176 of 1,608
Can this or will this ever be able to store Tidal offline? Can't make up my mind between this or the Hiby R3. I would mainly use this as a source to xDSD.
Apparently the labels that Tidal licenses music from a very concerned about any possibility that their products will be pirated. So they require all sorts of restrictions on any device that could potentially store physical copies. So long story short there is no chance of having offline Tidal storage for this device irrespective of manufacturer. If the Hiby R3 is Android based then you would be able to use the Android Tidal app on it for offline storage assuming that the requirements of the Tidal app for oldest Android version supported are met by whatever older version of Android is used by Hiby. I say that because I've not seen any Android player using Android 7 let alone the current version 8 so that will become an issue if it isn't already.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #1,177 of 1,608
You'd think since the DP-X1 is able to it would have been that much easier for it to be implemented on this one. I think it needs to be Android 5.1 or higher and I'm not sure what the DP-S1 is.
Hiby is not Android based but there own software and of now is not able to do offline yet. I'm thinking I may just go with this.
Are you overall pretty happy with yours and anyone else reading this?

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,178 of 1,608
You'd think since the DP-X1 is able to it would have been that much easier for it to be implemented on this one. I think it needs to be Android 5.1 or higher and I'm not sure what the DP-S1 is.
Hiby is not Android based but there own software and of now is not able to do offline yet. I'm thinking I may just go with this.
Are you overall pretty happy with yours and anyone else reading this?

It is not easier to implement Tidal Offline on DPS1, it is running a custom OS, not Android like DPX1. Same like Hiby with its custom hiby os.

I'm in the exact same boat. Depending on where you are you may want to buy both and see how it goes, I may end up doing that. Because reviews have been super unhelpful on how coloured is the R3 sound.

If you are going purely for sound quality, the Onkyo is more neutral for pairing with for various IEMs and has ACG balanced mode up its sleeved to fully maximise the dual DACs. The onkyo has been really detailed and neutral for me so far. OS isn't flashy but it's quite smooth and lag free in the latest FW version.

Tidal Offline is anyone's guess since both DPS1 and R3 run on custom OS.

Keep us (or me) updated which you go for!

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,180 of 1,608
It was ripped from a YouTube video, well demuxed to be exact. Just extracted the stream and saved it to a file. I used TubeMate, an Android app, to extract. I'll give another app a try. Perhaps I'll move to my Mac and use ffmpeg to demux. After all I don't need conversion.
My point was that you might need conversion if the demuxed AAC stream contains an error. I only do this stuff under Windows, and mostly just using files I have ripped from my own media, so I use tools like dBPoweramp and MP3Tag for cleaing up formatting and tags.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,181 of 1,608
I had issues with flac files that I created. Every other player I own played them just fine except for the DP-S1. Turns out I didn't understand that flac had its own tagging and I didn't need to add id3 tags which was why they were flagged as incorrect. The other players didn't care, the Onkyo did. Easily corrected once knew I did something wrong by just removing the id3 tags.

I have a feeling something similar is happening here. My tablet and other mp3 players handle the file just fine. The Onkyo lists it if I use the file browser but when I try to play it I get the invalid file error. Then it no longer shows in the browser which I thought was an interesting behavior. I'm guessing that again its a case of the extracted aac audio is slightly incorrect or out of spec and whoever coded the DP-S1 was very finicky in requiring the format for files to follow spec.

I haven't used Tubemate in a while but it looks like they haven't polished up the audio conversion functions from back when I last used it.

Have you considered trying online sites like convert2mp3.net ?

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,182 of 1,608
Apparently the labels that Tidal licenses music from a very concerned about any possibility that their products will be pirated. So they require all sorts of restrictions on any device that could potentially store physical copies. So long story short there is no chance of having offline Tidal storage for this device irrespective of manufacturer. If the Hiby R3 is Android based then you would be able to use the Android Tidal app on it for offline storage assuming that the requirements of the Tidal app for oldest Android version supported are met by whatever older version of Android is used by Hiby. I say that because I've not seen any Android player using Android 7 let alone the current version 8 so that will become an issue if it isn't already.

It is not easier to implement Tidal Offline on DPS1, it is running a custom OS, not Android like DPX1. Same like Hiby with its custom hiby os.

I'm in the exact same boat. Depending on where you are you may want to buy both and see how it goes, I may end up doing that. Because reviews have been super unhelpful on how coloured is the R3 sound.

If you are going purely for sound quality, the Onkyo is more neutral for pairing with for various IEMs and has ACG balanced mode up its sleeved to fully maximise the dual DACs. The onkyo has been really detailed and neutral for me so far. OS isn't flashy but it's quite smooth and lag free in the latest FW version.

Tidal Offline is anyone's guess since both DPS1 and R3 run on custom OS.

Keep us (or me) updated which you go for!
I do have the DP-X1 (for over 2 years now and love it) I would only use the DP-S1 for its size for the xDSD and occasionally on its own. Tidal would be nice but I can just stream it from my phone to xDSD which is nice.

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,183 of 1,608
I do have the DP-X1 (for over 2 years now and love it) I would only use the DP-S1 for its size for the xDSD and occasionally on its own. Tidal would be nice but I can just stream it from my phone to xDSD which is nice.
Oh if you already have the X1, then I think the R3 would be a great choice. Since the main thing keeping me on the fence is ACG balanced, which you already have on the X1.

Cheers!

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #1,185 of 1,608
I just bought the DP-S1 and I will keep an eye on the hiby. I have a weak spot for Onkyo, my whole stereo system is Onkyo as well. I will use my ipod for tidal offline with xDSD .

Enjoy! Wow that's awesome. When my Kenwood mini hifi nearly my age finally pulls the plug, Onkyo and Pioneer are definitely on my shopping list :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back