Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Apr 16, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #1,141 of 1,608
Hi everyone! Can't wait to get my DP-S1.

Can anyone share how sensitive IEMs like UE900S/Andromeda pair up? Is the output impedance ok for the tonality? Is there hiss? Balanced or unbalanced?

Cheers

Bump, anyone knows about this? I'm considering the Empire Supra II which has 23ohms impedance but 126db sensitivity which I fear will pick up the hiss on unbalanced out. Thanks!

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,142 of 1,608
Bump, anyone knows about this? I'm considering the Empire Supra II which has 23ohms impedance but 126db sensitivity which I fear will pick up the hiss on unbalanced out. Thanks!
I use very sensitive IEM's.
Maybe my hearing isn't up to that of someone 20 years old (LOL), but I've never heard any hiss other than that in the original recording.
I only listen to Hi-res or CD quality at the least. No MP3 or highly compressed files.

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #1,143 of 1,608
I've never had any hiss problems with my Noble iems (Katana, K10, Savant), balanced or single ended. Using balanced, though, it can be slightly trickier to find just the right volume, since each increment is larger compared with single ended.

Apr 16, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,144 of 1,608
I thought I’d share some pictures of the extremely well made (yet extremely expensive given the device) calf skin leather case I ordered from Japan on eBay from a company called “musashino Label”. It wasn’t a terribly rational purchase, but I just love leather cases and leather in general as a material. I’m also using a “Brotect” matte screen protector.
13BC6D83-AF3C-4906-A8BE-3AE016A1E705.jpeg E5A75B63-B960-4241-A4C6-DF16DE45E174.jpeg 8281511C-955C-4A32-A62B-A1CE36EC632D.jpeg F10BEFF6-D9E5-498C-9A40-E53CCCD695D3.jpeg 52FC5E43-F06B-4200-9CBD-6F9D9AFB1234.jpeg

Apr 16, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,145 of 1,608
I fear the bigger issue is going to be the output impedance of this device, which is relatively high. I’d recommend an IFI IEMatch for it. I use it with my hybrid IEMs that have low impedance.

Apr 16, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #1,146 of 1,608
Thanks @shane55 @SDBiotek @colonelkernel8 will also take a peek of the specs of what you are using. I suspect from the recommended impedance that the 3.5mm output impedance isnat the most 2-3 ohm which is ok for now.

@colonelkernel8 nice case! I'm likely going for the Onkyo PU one but making do with a carry case for now while upgrading IEMS :wink:

I'm receiving my Onkyo today, can't wait!

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,147 of 1,608
I fear the bigger issue is going to be the output impedance of this device, which is relatively high. I’d recommend an IFI IEMatch for it. I use it with my hybrid IEMs that have low impedance.
I haven't experienced any changes in tonality in my iems, but possibly it could have more impact with other iems. The iFi Iem match is not necessary, in my opinion. I have one, but only need it for my AR-M2 DAP, which has too high an output for iems. The IEM Match is not an impedance adapter, but is attenuates the output power of the DAP.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,148 of 1,608
Thanks @shane55 @SDBiotek @colonelkernel8 will also take a peek of the specs of what you are using. I suspect from the recommended impedance that the 3.5mm output impedance isnat the most 2-3 ohm which is ok for now.

@colonelkernel8 nice case! I'm likely going for the Onkyo PU one but making do with a carry case for now while upgrading IEMS :wink:

I'm receiving my Onkyo today, can't wait!
Most of the time with this device it’s the Q-Jays. And they are very bright, so hiss would be fairly evident.

Congrats.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #1,149 of 1,608
I thought I’d share some pictures of the extremely well made (yet extremely expensive given the device) calf skin leather case I ordered from Japan on eBay from a company called “musashino Label”. It wasn’t a terribly rational purchase, but I just love leather cases and leather in general as a material. I’m also using a “Brotect” matte screen protector.

Beautiful case.
I have the Onkyo case... it’s just fine, but no real pride of ownership.

I do want those screen protectors, though. :wink:

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #1,150 of 1,608
I haven't experienced any changes in tonality in my iems, but possibly it could have more impact with other iems. The iFi Iem match is not necessary, in my opinion. I have one, but only need it for my AR-M2 DAP, which has too high an output for iems. The IEM Match is not an impedance adapter, but is attenuates the output power of the DAP.
It does a touch more than just lower the volume as far as I know. I'd have to do a little research though.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,152 of 1,608
Most of the time with this device it’s the Q-Jays. And they are very bright, so hiss would be fairly evident.

Congrats.
Interesting. I'd almost forgotten about those tiny sweet things. Think I'll fire up the Onkyo with the Q-Jay this evening. I was in the mood to try something new so was thinking I'd go wander through Tidal related artist list from some of my favorites.

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,153 of 1,608
Finally got my DP-S1. Limited listening but I like what I'm hearing out of the box. Good balanced tonality and extension, good separation and yes, no hiss.

Actually the touch interface and the keyboard wasn't as bad as I expected. If only the screen had better colour quality....

Thanks for all the help from you all! Hope to continue enjoying the DPS1 and figuring out the various tweaks (so far no enhancements really 'improve' the sound for me compared to stock). Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #1,154 of 1,608
Finally got my DP-S1. Limited listening but I like what I'm hearing out of the box. Good balanced tonality and extension, good separation and yes, no hiss.

Actually the touch interface and the keyboard wasn't as bad as I expected. If only the screen had better colour quality....

Thanks for all the help from you all! Hope to continue enjoying the DPS1 and figuring out the various tweaks (so far no enhancements really 'improve' the sound for me compared to stock). Cheers!

Congrats. Wishing you at least as much enjoyment with yours, as I've had with mine.
Cheers.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,155 of 1,608
i do a large portion of my listening with IE800, and even in high-gain setting on this player they perform excellently. there is no added background hiss or noise that i am able to pick up.

obviously, IE800 pick up hiss on recordings that get muted by other combos, but that is due to the record, not because of the headphones/player.

Hi everyone! Can't wait to get my DP-S1.

Can anyone share how sensitive IEMs like UE900S/Andromeda pair up? Is the output impedance ok for the tonality? Is there hiss? Balanced or unbalanced?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back