Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Apr 19, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,156 of 1,608
I thought those words are laser printed on the screen or whatever. lol. I guess I will just leave the screen protector alone as it is now :face_palm: with the temp overlay "twin dac | 16GB | 2 Slots |" and a little bit of bubble under it. It doesn't look bad either. My DP-S1 case would cover it up anyway...

Blast from the past! I'm in the same situation now but still looks okay :sweat_smile:

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,157 of 1,608
i do a large portion of my listening with IE800, and even in high-gain setting on this player they perform excellently. there is no added background hiss or noise that i am able to pick up.

obviously, IE800 pick up hiss on recordings that get muted by other combos, but that is due to the record, not because of the headphones/player.

The problem I've encountered is with hybrid IEMs is that they perform poorly with this unit. So the IE800 is an exception for sure.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,159 of 1,608
interesting, i ordered 900s on a whim and they'll be arriving next week, they'd primarily would be used on this DAP, so i'll let everyone know first hand what the experience is like, especially compared to IE800.

The problem I've encountered is with hybrid IEMs is that they perform poorly with this unit. So the IE800 is an exception for sure.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,160 of 1,608
interesting, i ordered 900s on a whim and they'll be arriving next week, they'd primarily would be used on this DAP, so i'll let everyone know first hand what the experience is like, especially compared to IE800.
I briefly demoed CIEMs and they seemed alright (Earwerkz Supra) but they are currently in for reshelling... The UE900 is a great IEM, it's actually on my to-buy list but oh well :D

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #1,162 of 1,608
Hi everyone,

I noticed the volume wheel on the DP-S1 is slightly loose. When I put a finger on it and shakes the DP-S1 lightly, there's something loose inside still shaking, not the wheel.

Did I get a dud or do you all have this too?

Cheers

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,163 of 1,608
Hi everyone,

I noticed the volume wheel on the DP-S1 is slightly loose. When I put a finger on it and shakes the DP-S1 lightly, there's something loose inside still shaking, not the wheel.

Cheers
I had a similar problem with my XDP-30R resulting in volume control failure - see my post #1039 earlier in this thread.

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,164 of 1,608
Hi everyone,

Cheers

Nope... mine is solid.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,165 of 1,608

They improved ths on the DP-S1A model. The encoder and its control wheel can move quite a lot on the original model. Maybe for some later builds they improved it. Mine, bought in June last year, has a lot of movement, but that is reduced significantly by using the Onkyo case since it helps to limit the angle through which the control can move.

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #1,166 of 1,608
I had a similar problem with my XDP-30R resulting in volume control failure - see my post #1039 earlier in this thread.
Nope... mine is solid.

I had another look/shake again and didn't hear a thing this time. I wonder how it is constructed inside? Because when I heard the shaking sound it was a soft clickish sound - like as if maybe one of those things that give the stepped resistance turning the dial is just the thing making noise. So I think it should be fine for now, rotating the volume dial still feels fine and everything. Returning this would be a hassle.

They improved this on the DP-S1A model. The encoder and its control wheel can move quite a lot on the original model. Maybe for some later builds they improved it. Mine, bought in June last year, has a lot of movement, but that is reduced significantly by using the Onkyo case since it helps to limit the angle through which the control can move.
Can't wait for DP-S1A to reach current S1 prices one day! At RRP I feel that the S1A is asking a bit much. I'm getting hold of the DPA-PLS1 PU case from Onkyo once my budget is a little less tight.

Looks like I may need the Hiby R3 on order for backup and comparison purposes :sweat_smile: Onkyo also replied me finally by FB to confirm unbalanced output is only run by one DAC. So if you don't use balanced, any one-DAC DAP implemented well is a viable alternative.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #1,167 of 1,608
I had another look/shake again and didn't hear a thing this time. I wonder how it is constructed inside? Because when I heard the shaking sound it was a soft clickish sound - like as if maybe one of those things that give the stepped resistance turning the dial is just the thing making noise. So I think it should be fine for now, rotating the volume dial still feels fine and everything. Returning this would be a hassle.

Can't wait for DP-S1A to reach current S1 prices one day! At RRP I feel that the S1A is asking a bit much. I'm getting hold of the DPA-PLS1 PU case from Onkyo once my budget is a little less tight.

Looks like I may need the Hiby R3 on order for backup and comparison purposes :sweat_smile: Onkyo also replied me finally by FB to confirm unbalanced output is only run by one DAC. So if you don't use balanced, any one-DAC DAP implemented well is a viable alternative.
I didn’t even know there was a DP-S1A. Moreover I’d not even know where to start looking for one. Seems to only exist on the Japanese version of Onkyo’s website.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #1,168 of 1,608
Recently got this little gem. The pioneer variety that is. Really like it’s portability and sound quality. I use it with my K10,UE11Pro and R1currently. Sometimes direct and since I got the ifi xDSD recently, as well stacked with the xDSD using the xdp as source.

I had no problems so far with hybrids, but then I use the more powerful balanced output for them....

Cheers.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #1,169 of 1,608
Recently got this little gem. The pioneer variety that is. Really like it’s portability and sound quality. I use it with my K10,UE11Pro and R1currently. Sometimes direct and since I got the ifi xDSD recently, as well stacked with the xDSD using the xdp as source.

I had no problems so far with hybrids, but then I use the more powerful balanced output for them....

Cheers.
Thanks for sharing! Do those of your IEMs with lower impedance like FLC8S and UE11 work fine from balanced? The recommended impedance Pioneer quotes is higher, so I wonder if they would work on things like Andromedas with very low impedance.

I've been trying to get hold of output impedance measurements of the DP-S1/XDP-30R but haven't had any success.

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #1,170 of 1,608
I didn’t even know there was a DP-S1A. Moreover I’d not even know where to start looking for one. Seems to only exist on the Japanese version of Onkyo’s website.
In the US, this is one source: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Pla...8&qid=1524371891&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+dp-s1a
Notice the price hike, you would plop down nearly three times the price of the original one, to secure it...I'd rather recommend the DP-X1A instead which I also own, far better deal for less! The S1A is more convenient to log around of course, but the lousy wireless support and limited overall functionality, makes the high price tag questionable, to say the least. The X1A's wireless and streaming is rock solid, with nearly unlimited options, I never disconnect it from my stereo, while the Rubato was nothing but misery and pain. On the road, however, it is the best companion, I never leave home without it. The power output of the Rubato is surprisingly superior to the X1A's, that's the only upper hand the DP-S1 may have over the huge X1A, besides being ultra portable. If I would have to shell out almost $700 USD to get one, I would certainly find far better options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back