Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Dec 20, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #826 of 1,608
Cool, thanks for the on-the-floor evaluation!

All in all the more expensive iriver model in the pics I sent sounded more open (maybe worth the extra $150). But the dp-s1a is not exactly a slouch either. It's miles better than what I have now and re-introduces elements from music I have missed for the past 11 months.

I do feel the seperation isn't so fantastic and is a little muddier than the more expensive iriver in my opinion mind you.

I'd be curious if you can disable the DSP on the iRiver. I can't help but wonder if the A&K models sound signature is largely due to the effects they add. I do know that part of the extra cost is the DSP chip on board.

I had a simple iRiver model back in the day and it had various "3D sound" type features and it always sounded lush and immersive. But it was additive processing that just completely threw off the actual recorded detail. Stuff that I recorded myself (and had spent many nights tweaking to sound a particular way) would sound totally different on the iRiver (e.g. flat poorly recorded drum sounds came across alot more thumpy, and actual decently recorded stuff with dynamics came across over saturated and squished) and it meant I couldn't trust anything I heard to be what had been recorded. Stuff that sounds good on the iRiver won't sound good at home, or elsewhere and vice versa. But by all means, if you just want to maximise your enjoyment of music on your portable playback, and that's your tastes, go for it. But I can't afford having my ears get "untrained" from what's normal.

For me, the Onkyo is one of the more accurate DAPs I've heard. There's a clarity to it that's akin to a studio playback session -- which typically do not use the most pleasant sounding rig (as per home audiophile gear), but just the most accurate (and often unflattering).Having said that, within the "neutral" camp, I think it does lean slightly towards Japanese tastes in terms of bass response.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #827 of 1,608
hi, have the onkyo rubato since a couple of weeks and its working really well. Its loaded with two 400 gb micro sd cards and have experienced no issues so far. All my music is in lossless formats. Thinking of getting the pioneer xdp 30r as well. anyone here can compare these two players?

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #828 of 1,608
Hi all, Newbie here...

I have the Pioneer XDP-30R. Unfortunately it has stopped recognizing/syncing with the internal memory though the drive is visible when mounted on a PC.

I suspect a missing or corrupted file on that drive. Has this happened to anyone else ?

Anyone willing to post a directory/property listing of their internal drive for reference ?

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #829 of 1,608
Anyone seen the 1.20 update yet which brings back USB line out?

Just trying to determine going by those specs is this still a restricted line out function?

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #830 of 1,608
Anyone seen the 1.20 update yet which brings back USB line out?

Just trying to determine going by those specs is this still a restricted line out function?

I updated my XDP-30R, and the USB out works now, I tested it with the Chord Mojo, I also have a DP-S1, which I will update later. It is a good Christmas present this firmware update

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #831 of 1,608
FW version: 1.20/17Z18AEO
  • Support USB-OTG Digital output function (DSD 5.6MHz with DoP transfer, Maximum 192kHz/32bit)
  • Support to playback in order of “Disc No.” Tag that edited by X-DAP Link for Windows
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.
  • * DSD: 5.6 / 2.8 MHz (DoP transfer), FLAC, WAV: PCM 192 kHz / 32 bit USB - OTG digital output function.
    * Not support to output DSD 11.2MHz out with USB-OTG.
    * Not support to output FLAC, WAV 384 kHz / 352.8 kHz with USB-OTG.
    * In case of MQA files, Fixed output “PCM 44.1 kHz /48 kHz” with USB-OTG.
    * OTG cable is not included in this product.

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #832 of 1,608
FW version: 1.20/17Z18AEO
  • Support USB-OTG Digital output function (DSD 5.6MHz with DoP transfer, Maximum 192kHz/32bit)
  • Support to playback in order of “Disc No.” Tag that edited by X-DAP Link for Windows
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.
  • * DSD: 5.6 / 2.8 MHz (DoP transfer), FLAC, WAV: PCM 192 kHz / 32 bit USB - OTG digital output function.
    * Not support to output DSD 11.2MHz out with USB-OTG.
    * Not support to output FLAC, WAV 384 kHz / 352.8 kHz with USB-OTG.
    * In case of MQA files, Fixed output “PCM 44.1 kHz /48 kHz” with USB-OTG.
    * OTG cable is not included in this product.
It's hard to really say, but I believe I hear much more bass and more air. Has anyone out there noticed a difference?

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #833 of 1,608
Guys,

Anyone having the XDP 30r can confirm if there is a search functionality in the DAP? With a large library it would be helpful if there is a search function to quickly search for the song. Please advise!!

Thanks.

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #834 of 1,608
The USB out is much improved compared to the one they had last time.
You now only have to connect up the USB cable and it outputs straight out to the external DAC. No more specific order to turn which one on first. :thumbsup:
Cover art also now shows up for DSD files when you do USB out.

For Japanese units, you get a new online stream app Deezer.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #835 of 1,608
Guys,

Anyone having the XDP 30r can confirm if there is a search functionality in the DAP? With a large library it would be helpful if there is a search function to quickly search for the song. Please advise!!

Thanks.

No search function

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #838 of 1,608
The Pioneer XDP-100R has search function.

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #839 of 1,608
Does anyone else have problems trying to update the firmware via wireless? The update works easily by putting it on the SD card, but I've not been able to do it via wireless. I've updated the firmware 3 times this past year but it just won't work unless I do it via the SD card. I know the wireless function is connected as I can listen to Tidal. Not a big deal, just curious.

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #840 of 1,608
Does anyone else have problems trying to update the firmware via wireless? The update works easily by putting it on the SD card, but I've not been able to do it via wireless. I've updated the firmware 3 times this past year but it just won't work unless I do it via the SD card. I know the wireless function is connected as I can listen to Tidal. Not a big deal, just curious.
I have the Onkyo and have done all the updates via wifi without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back